The Student Room Group

What University Societies, clubs and sports will you be joining?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Witty Username
Have you thought about rowing?

Yes but i cannot swim that well and i was told that was a requirement. :frown:
When I come back for my final year it will be hockey and maybe cricket. Badminton will be too expensive with no actual benefits to me for it (non-team coaching is on same night as hockey and even when I went a good proportion of the time was spent on team players anyway).

Possibly the ancient history and archaeology society as well.
Reply 22
Ok, so does anyone know what you actually do in medical society.
Reply 23
Ones I'd like to join: Rowing, chemistry (my subject), running, rugby union, poetry (if there is one!), classical music, cycling, guitar society. I'd like for there to be W.B. Yeats/ Richard Feynman appreciation societies, but I don't think there will be!

Ones that I'll be able to continue with because they (allegedly) take up so much time: Rowing.
Original post by XxelliexX
Quidditch :biggrin:

Stole my thunder, I was going to say that :frown:
Reply 25
Thanks to everyone who participated in this thread so far, i didn't think i'll get any replies for my first thread but i have gotton some. :smile:
Reply 26
Original post by IQ Test
Ones I'd like to join: Rowing, chemistry (my subject), running, rugby union, poetry (if there is one!), classical music, cycling, guitar society. I'd like for there to be W.B. Yeats/ Richard Feynman appreciation societies, but I don't think there will be!

Ones that I'll be able to continue with because they (allegedly) take up so much time: Rowing.

I'm with you on that one!
Just taken a look through both my firm and insurance choice's society list..~
-Anime and Manga society
-Dance soc
-Flashmob society
-Musical Theatre society
-Japan/Anglo-Japanese society
-Tea soc!
-Assassin's Guild
-Humans vs Zombies

The last three... *___*
Original post by VickyDoodle
Just taken a look through both my firm and insurance choice's society list..~
-Anime and Manga society
-Dance soc
-Flashmob society
-Musical Theatre society
-Japan/Anglo-Japanese society
-Tea soc!
-Assassin's Guild
-Humans vs Zombies

The last three... *___*

Birmingham? :awesome:

Yeah, definitely the last three. Plus they have these:

Motor Racing

Rock Society

Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Computer & Video Games

Tabletop Gaming

Which I may be interested in joining.

They also have a fetish society. :sexface:
Original post by RedDevilThing
Birmingham? :awesome:

Yeah, definitely the last three. Plus they have these:

Motor Racing

Rock Society

Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Computer & Video Games

Tabletop Gaming

Which I may be interested in joining.

They also have a fetish society. :sexface:

Yup! It's my insurance, but I'm leaning towards it rather than my firm.. may or may not have something to do with the societies. xD I want to be an Assassin!
I may have to join all the gaming societies for "research" purposes.. running a gaming convention next year.
Too many. Got it whittled down to 6 at the moment, I'll have to cut it down further if I want a part time job though.

Acting-If I can't do this I think my soul will die. Not that I'm theatrical in any way.
Scuba diving
Pharmacy-Seeing as its my course and all
German-Love German :love:
Latin ballroom-Sounds like a laugh so I want to give it a go.
Creative Writing-The uni I'm going to has an amazing creative writing department, I'd be an idiot not to do this.

Wahhh, I won't be able to do them all! But I'll give it a damn good go.
(edited 11 years ago)
Yup! It's my insurance, but I'm leaning towards it rather than my firm.. may or may not have something to do with the societies. xD I want to be an Assassin!
I may have to join all the gaming societies for "research" purposes.. running a gaming convention next year.

Brum's my firm! :biggrin: Yeah the societies look great, although I'm a little disappointed they don't have a physics society. :colonhash: Humans vs Zombies sounds hella fun though!

Nothing wrong with gaming, I for one can't wait to be a total nerd in lots of different ways. :awesome:
law society (my name:colondollar:), chinese/hong kong society (to brush up my mandarin lol), ufc/mma/martial arts society, movie society

- University of Sheffield
(edited 11 years ago)
Brum's my firm! :biggrin: Yeah the societies look great, although I'm a little disappointed they don't have a physics society. :colonhash: Humans vs Zombies sounds hella fun though!

Nothing wrong with gaming, I for one can't wait to be a total nerd in lots of different ways. :awesome:

Can't help but wonder what you'd DO in Human vs Zombies though, hah. Maybe like the LARPy versions of zombie invasions you get in some cities.

Start a Physics soc then! :P A Steampunk soc would be nice. But as there isn't, I'll just mix that in with my love of tea.

I do love me some gaming. I nearly cried when I found out XBL doesn't work at Newcastle accom... :hide: But it's cool, I highly doubt I'm getting in there anyway. Decided it's Brum or nothing~
Can't help but wonder what you'd DO in Human vs Zombies though, hah. Maybe like the LARPy versions of zombie invasions you get in some cities.

Start a Physics soc then! :P A Steampunk soc would be nice. But as there isn't, I'll just mix that in with my love of tea.

I do love me some gaming. I nearly cried when I found out XBL doesn't work at Newcastle accom... :hide: But it's cool, I highly doubt I'm getting in there anyway. Decided it's Brum or nothing~

I looked it up. The gather everyone involved at The Vale student village, one person is selected to be a 'zombie', and must tag 'humans'. If you get tagged you become a zombie. Humans are given some tasks to complete, and win if they stay 'alive' long enough to complete the task (I think). The zombies win if there are no humans remaining. There's a bit more to it than that but it sounds like a lot of fun! :biggrin:

Maybe I will. :yep: Good to see someone else who loves tea, I practically lived off the stuff during study leave.

It would be good to see you at Brum, I'd probably be bumping into you at various societies from the sounds of things. :teehee: Brum accom sounds pretty good for teh interwebz actually. From what I've heard you get a basic package included in the price with a 10Mbps download speed and no bandwidth limit!
This might be the dumbest question ever but I will ask anyway.

Do you actually need any experience for joining a certain club? For e.g. I would like to join the music club but know nothing about music

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Desire HD A9191
Reply 36
Not entirely sure yet, but considering these ones so far:

- SIFE (Students in Free Enterprise)
- Dance Soc
- French Soc (I'd love to improve my french and keep talking the language!)
- International Society

maybe I will join a few others as well and try them out, I guess we will get to know them in Freshers' anyway.

I envy you guys for having a Harry Potter Society. I want one too, but Strathclyde doesn't offer one :sad:
Reply 37
Swimming
Swimming
More Swimming

Then I'll venture forth into Rowing
Running
Politics
Labour Soc
MUN
French , German and Spanish Socs
Boxing

and any others that float my boat. I know i'd join a subject related society too
Reply 38
Original post by alaska.
Not entirely sure yet, but considering these ones so far:

- SIFE (Students in Free Enterprise)
- Dance Soc
- French Soc (I'd love to improve my french and keep talking the language!)
- International Society

maybe I will join a few others as well and try them out, I guess we will get to know them in Freshers' anyway.

I envy you guys for having a Harry Potter Society. I want one too, but Strathclyde doesn't offer one :sad:

Set one up! :crazy:

Maybe I will. :yep: Good to see someone else who loves tea, I practically lived off the stuff during study leave.

It would be good to see you at Brum, I'd probably be bumping into you at various societies from the sounds of things. :teehee: Brum accom sounds pretty good for teh interwebz actually. From what I've heard you get a basic package included in the price with a 10Mbps download speed and no bandwidth limit!

...That sounds amazing!

I bet we'd end up at one of the societies and after everyone introducing themselves I'd pipe up with.. 'I KNOW YOU OFF THE INTERNET!'. And then realise how crazy that sounds and shut up. xD But yay free internet! I applied really late though,as well as being an insurance person, so odds are I won't get uni accom. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending