The Student Room Group

What University Societies, clubs and sports will you be joining?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by VickyDoodle
...That sounds amazing!

I bet we'd end up at one of the societies and after everyone introducing themselves I'd pipe up with.. 'I KNOW YOU OFF THE INTERNET!'. And then realise how crazy that sounds and shut up. xD But yay free internet! I applied really late though,as well as being an insurance person, so odds are I won't get uni accom. :frown:

Either that or we'd be totally oblivious to the fact we'd spoken on the internet. :K:

Aww don't be so negative, if I remember correctly it's not too bad for insurance peeps usually, I would be surprised if you didn't get a room in halls.
Reply 41
Law soc. I'm a law student so pretty standard.
Langs soc. MFL student...
ERASMUS soc. Always the best place to meet people to speak languages.
Swimming. Always done it, really enjoy it.

Fewer than normal because I'll be final year.
Reply 42
Original post by Lord Jon
Set one up! :crazy:

Is it difficult to set up i.e. lots of forms to fill out? Do you have to fulfill a quota or something? (Sorry, I don't know these things, I'll be a Fresher! :biggrin:)
Original post by Smason5
Yes but i cannot swim that well and i was told that was a requirement. :frown:

As long as you can swim well enough not to drown if you capsize it shouldn't be a problem.
Reply 44
Definitely:
CompSoc - Pretty standard for a Computer Science student.. :smile:
Ultimate Frisbee - Probably the only sport I'd have a realistic chance of getting on the team in, at Lboro.. :biggrin:

Maybe:
TKD - I've been doing it for 10 years, not sure I'll be able to give it up :smile: Might go to a local club instead of the uni's club though, as I already know the instructor
LGBT association - Maybe.
Sno - Kinda expensive, I hear.
Rec-Run - Not sure I'll have time

Hoping to run for Hall Committee as well, depending on how first year goes :smile:

edit: forgot, I'm gonna hopefully learn a language as well while I'm there, depending on how much time I have left :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 45
I´ve just been looking at the list of societies on offer, and these sound very appealing:

- Arabic society
- Book club
- Debating union
- Hide and soc
- Ice skating society
- Iraqi society
- MEDSIN
- Quidditch & Harry Potter society
- Renewable Energy Society

:biggrin: getting excited for next year!
I'm a member of German society and Harry Potter society.
Looking to join cocktail society in September, and maybe something nerdy because there'll be a huge untapped resource of guys who nobody will be paying attention to. :sexface:
Reply 47
Last year I meant to do so many things and didn't, cos I signed up to everything instead. This year I'm gonna get it right and aim for only two things: Surf Club and Mads. Mads is like a posh choir that I didn't audition for because some woman said I wouldn't get in. But this year I'm thinking "Why the hell not?" I'm as good as anyone else and I might as well give it a go...

I also sort of want to do Tennis, but I don't think I'd ever find a partner who matches my abominable standard, and I don't think we'd ever be able to get a rally over some pathetic score like 4. :tongue:
Reply 48
Original post by Smason5
Thats sounds good. How can i forget medsoc. lol. This is why i created this thread.

A fellow (soon-to-be) medic? Awesome! :smile: Where are you going?
I am definitely going to join as many clubs as I can, to keep myself busy! :biggrin: But I definitely want to learn how to swim, would university swimming clubs normally have swimming classes for nonswimmers?
Do you need to know music to join the music club? Like if you don't know much about music will they teach you? :s-smilie:

Or can you only join a club if your good at what they are doing?

Can somebody answer me I am really curious. Because I would like to learn how to play the piano and the violin but I don't know much/anything about them.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by FallenDeath
Do you need to know music to join the music club? Like if you don't know much about music will they teach you? :s-smilie:

Or can you only join a club if your good at what they are doing?

Can somebody answer me I am really curious. Because I would like to learn how to play the piano and the violin but I don't know much/anything about them.

I think it's different with music, like if you play a musical instrument/sing you can join the orchestra/choir... I don't think they teach you from scratch, some universities might, but they are likely to charge you for it kind of like how they would at school if they did :smile:
this is just my guess though!
Probably lots of societies to do with food and drinks such as chocolate/cake/tea :tongue:
French Society
Medsoc
Perhaps something alcohol related
I usually avoid sports but I'll probably join some really obscure random sports society anyway
And anything else that looks remotely hilarious :yep:
I want to do sports clubs to keep fit, I'd love to do vollyball, im alright at it and would love to get better :biggrin:
but the canoeing and fencing also sounds good, and archery... just all of them sound good, whether or not I'd be any good at them is a different question xD
Reply 54
Original post by MJHERBZ
A fellow (soon-to-be) medic? Awesome! :smile: Where are you going?

Cambridge, how bout you?
Reply 55
Is it free to join clubs and societies?
Reply 56
Original post by Smason5
Most unis has language clubs. so there shud be 1 for japanese too.

Nice! :biggrin:

Reply 57
Original post by justn1c2
I plan on joining many clubs sports clubs when i get to my university in September, these include:

Mountaineering
badminton
Surfing
Mountain biking (if the club does not exist ill make one)
Archery
Surrey Snows-sports

and probably more when i find out whats on offer.

Surrey ftw :biggrin:, what are you going to be studying? I want to join both the badminton and snow-sports societies
Reply 58
Original post by Tackla
Is it free to join clubs and societies?

Yes as they are funded by the University.
Reply 59
Original post by manic_fuzz
Probably lots of societies to do with food and drinks such as chocolate/cake/tea :tongue:
French Society
Medsoc
Perhaps something alcohol related
I usually avoid sports but I'll probably join some really obscure random sports society anyway
And anything else that looks remotely hilarious :yep:

Hello fellow medic. Just saying Hi!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending