The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Classic Civilisation and English - University of Nottingham

I was just wondering if anybody else is starting this course in September at the University of Nottingham, or are starting any course that contains English or Classics :smile: would be nice to get to know a few people beforehand, and I was also wondering if anybody else is stuck on the pre reading list. I'm confused as to what books would be good to read/have a look at beforehand and which ones aren't relevant. Any help would be appreciated!
Reply 1
Hi, i'm doing English Language and Literature :smile: It's nice to finally find someone on here doing English! Have you bought the books yet? I haven't bought them because i'm too paranoid about my A-Level results! :tongue: but I think on the School of English website it tells you which books you should read and which are optional. I'll probably try and get them all though, being as over keen as I am :colondollar:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
I am doing Classical Civilisation and English at Uni of Nottingham too!!! There is only 8 places for this course and we are 2 of them!

Hi, I am called Michael and I'm 23. Und du?
No I haven't bought the books yet - I am too waiting for my A Level results so there's no point until I definitely know that I've got a place! I've read one of the books on the list but that's it, I want to read them all but I don't have much motivation at the moment!
Bit late but I'm doing Class Civ :smile: how do we know what books we'll need? - Oh and I'm Rachel, 19 and living in Jubilee Campus :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by NadiaBouzenada
I was just wondering if anybody else is starting this course in September at the University of Nottingham, or are starting any course that contains English or Classics :smile: would be nice to get to know a few people beforehand, and I was also wondering if anybody else is stuck on the pre reading list. I'm confused as to what books would be good to read/have a look at beforehand and which ones aren't relevant. Any help would be appreciated!

Original post by Meat is Murder
I am doing Classical Civilisation and English at Uni of Nottingham too!!! There is only 8 places for this course and we are 2 of them!

Hi, I am called Michael and I'm 23. Und du?

Original post by rachelfellman
Bit late but I'm doing Class Civ :smile: how do we know what books we'll need? - Oh and I'm Rachel, 19 and living in Jubilee Campus :biggrin:

OK so you all should have started Classical Civilisation and English at Nottingham. I have an offer for this year and was wondering what you thought of the course and Nottingham. Did you make the right decision?
Original post by nushi
OK so you all should have started Classical Civilisation and English at Nottingham. I have an offer for this year and was wondering what you thought of the course and Nottingham. Did you make the right decision?

Hello, congratulations on your offer!

The modules I do are:
Ancient Literature
Ancient Art
Studying the Greek world
Literature
Introduction to drama
Language and context

I started uni being an English student who was interested in antiquity but the classics side of the course is very good and I am more inclined to that now over English. The Ancient Literature lecturer Dr Rawles is brilliant and it is my favourite module. Keeping up with the extra reading with classics is essential and really beneficial. The contact time is just right as one simply needs the time to read and make notes in the library/going over notes/coursework.

There is a real difference in atmosphere in English lectures. Classics is very male dominated and is more serious partly because of this. There are so many girls in English lectures and my god they make some noise. English is more relaxed but I would prefer if it was a bit more intense but that's just me. The introduction to drama lectures are brilliant but the accompanying seminars are a waste of time.

Modules are really good for 2nd and 3rd year so don't be put off by any in the first; the modules offered gives you a chance to try lots of areas and then cater your course to the area you prefer in the 2nd year.
Reply 7
thanks for the info! i've been a bit worried about taking joint honours so it's great to hear you're enjoying the course. is there ever a time when you find it difficult to juggle the two different subjects?
Reply 8
Original post by Meat is Murder
Hello, congratulations on your offer!

The modules I do are:
Ancient Literature
Ancient Art
Studying the Greek world
Literature
Introduction to drama
Language and context

I started uni being an English student who was interested in antiquity but the classics side of the course is very good and I am more inclined to that now over English. The Ancient Literature lecturer Dr Rawles is brilliant and it is my favourite module. Keeping up with the extra reading with classics is essential and really beneficial. The contact time is just right as one simply needs the time to read and make notes in the library/going over notes/coursework.

There is a real difference in atmosphere in English lectures. Classics is very male dominated and is more serious partly because of this. There are so many girls in English lectures and my god they make some noise. English is more relaxed but I would prefer if it was a bit more intense but that's just me. The introduction to drama lectures are brilliant but the accompanying seminars are a waste of time.

Modules are really good for 2nd and 3rd year so don't be put off by any in the first; the modules offered gives you a chance to try lots of areas and then cater your course to the area you prefer in the 2nd year.

thanks for the info! i've been a bit worried about taking joint honours so it's great to hear you're enjoying the course. is there ever a time when you find it difficult to juggle the two different subjects?
Reply 9
I'm coming to the English department open day on the 22nd Feb, hope to meet some of you then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending