Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are LCD tv's a thing of the past?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to get a new tv budget is around £400, was speaking to a man at Comet who said LCD's are history now and LED is the way forward. Now i'm kind of on a budget so I'm wondering is the difference in quality that comparable?

I've shortlisted a few Tv's which I'm looking at.

LG 42 inch LCD - £325

Samsung 40 inch LED - £387

The samsung had freeviewHD and is LED, but the LG is bigger and seemingly has better reviews. Which should I go for?

Also, is it worth getting a 5 year cover plan from squaretrade or just the standard one with Dixons. The squaretrade one seems a lot cheaper.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    LEDs probably are better but unless you're really into your technology you're not going to really appreciate the difference.

However, Tesco do have this LG 42" LED which is meant to be pretty good: http://www.tesco.com/direct/lg-42ls3...097&pageLevel=

In my experience of coverplans whatever goes wrong with it they try and get out of fixing it for free in one way or another, so I don't bother with them now. But if you do it's probably best to take one out with the store you purchased it from.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No.

People at comet are sales monkeys. They'll tell you anything to get a sale.

Have to ask yourself why is it cheap. When I was shopping for a new telly in the £400 bracket I was advised to get a top quality 32" as any 40"+ at that price range would be a cheap base model.

Quality over quantity
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    This, from Marks and Spencer has the coverplan included in the price. Same thing at Dixons is £515 and £580 at Currys.
    • 42 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hash007)
    I'm looking to get a new tv budget is around £400, was speaking to a man at Comet who said LCD's are history now and LED is the way forward. Now i'm kind of on a budget so I'm wondering is the difference in quality that comparable?

I've shortlisted a few Tv's which I'm looking at.

LG 42 inch LCD - £325

Samsung 40 inch LED - £387

The samsung had freeviewHD and is LED, but the LG is bigger and seemingly has better reviews. Which should I go for?

Also, is it worth getting a 5 year cover plan from squaretrade or just the standard one with Dixons. The squaretrade one seems a lot cheaper.
    From what I remember the issue with LCD is that the quality of the screen is worse on larger LCD screens compared to Plasma as I last remember.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    This, from Marks and Spencer has the coverplan included in the price. Same thing at Dixons is £515 and £580 at Currys.
    If you can afford that I'd go for that. Samsung are the best brand for TVs IMO.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir Master of Bate)
    No.

People at comet are sales monkeys. They'll tell you anything to get a sale.

Have to ask yourself why is it cheap. When I was shopping for a new telly in the £400 bracket I was advised to get a top quality 32" as any 40"+ at that price range would be a cheap base model.

Quality over quantity
    They are cheap but they have lots of good reviews, I'm not too fussed about extra features and what not more bothered about the size of the TV.

I watch a lot of sports and play the xbox occasionally, is 50hz sufficient or should I look for a plasma?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Consider the amount of scart/HDMI etc you will need. Cheaper tellys will generally have less (1 HDMI/1 SCART etc) unless it's a top spec then has been reduced to clear.

Edit - Plasma is better for sport, and LCD is better for gaming. (If I remember correctly)

Try AVforums as you're bright enough to read reviews before purchase. Some proper tech geeks on there.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elwyn)
    LEDs probably are better but unless you're really into your technology you're not going to really appreciate the difference.

However, Tesco do have this LG 42" LED which is meant to be pretty good: http://www.tesco.com/direct/lg-42ls3...097&pageLevel=

In my experience of coverplans whatever goes wrong with it they try and get out of fixing it for free in one way or another, so I don't bother with them now. But if you do it's probably best to take one out with the store you purchased it from.
    I bought this TV in January, and I have to say it's brilliant, the price is fantastic and not a thing has gone wrong. I would recommend it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bargain: http://www.richersounds.com/showclea...+Ps50c680.html
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    LED is LCD

And Plasma is best

And Samsung one is best.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel_R)
    LED is LCD

And Plasma is best

And Samsung one is best.
    I do remember the guy saying that, something like LCD has fluorescent tubes whereas LED has back lights, which makes LED brighter/more vivid for some reason. Why do you say plasma is best? I've heard a lot about images 'burning' onto the screen and plasma generally not being as reliable as LED?
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel_R)
    LED is LCD
    huh? no it isnt
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james1211)
    huh? no it isnt
    It is there both LCD only LED uses LEDs as the back light.

And plasma is just as reliable as lcd/led now, image burn is a thing of the past.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9300
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james1211)
    huh? no it isnt
    For a home screen LED and LCD use the same technology to create the image the difference is the light source: flourescent tubes (CCFL) in LCD and LEDs in LED TV's.

The main benefits this gives LED tvs are: Thinner, require less power, better contrast.

In terms of sport, one thing that might make a difference is having a HD tuner and using the HD channels whenever possible.

I don't know enough about plasma to comment on them.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I do remember the guy saying that, something like LCD has fluorescent tubes whereas LED has back lights, which makes LED brighter/more vivid for some reason. Why do you say plasma is best? I've heard a lot about images 'burning' onto the screen and plasma generally not being as reliable as LED?
    Plasma burn is really no longer an issue. many years ago perhaps.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveDavids)
    I believe LCD tv screens use Cold Cathode Fluorescent (CCFL)

Whilst LED tv's use an LCD screen with Light-Emitting Diodes (LED) either around the edge or back panel instead of CCFL.

After all this time Plasma is still superior overall for picture quality especially if you are into sport.

Indeed LED tv has replaced LCD tv however it all depends on if you want the best picture quality going or sleek/slim bezeled designed screen to wether or not you consider Plasma or LED.
    Also when it comes to picture quality you need to look at colour and the blacks, for some reason people think bright coloured pictures are the best but all that is showing is the TV's inability to produce a true black. You will notice when comparing TV's skin colour especially around the face can have a lot of depth and shading on one TV and then lack of detail on the next TV.

Manufacturers are now pushing Organic Light-Emitting Diode (OLED) and I assume Plasma will still remain alongside this new technology.
    I would not concern yourself with OLED at this moment in time.

Panasonic and Samsung are the two manufacturers to really focus on, though that is not to say disregard others as there maybe a bargin around the corner! Panasonic really are the leaders when it comes to picture quality and Samsung arent far behind.

If you are intending to purchase a warranty/guarantee may I suggest you look at Richer Sounds.
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/...ams-ue40eh5000 £390 + £38.95 for 5yr Guarantee
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/...460/lg-42cs460 £330 + £32.95 for 5yr Guarantee
    Currys/Dixons a 3 or 5 year Care Plan is from £109 so it would cost you vastly more overall to include a warranty/guarantee than in comparison at Richer Sounds.

Overall stores such as Richer Sounds are better to shop at than the main high street chain of shops!
    I would agree with regards to Richer Sounds.
    Dare I say that the best high street shop is perhaps "John Lewis" for Electronic Purchases.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    OLED tv displays are gonna be :sogood:
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    The big problem with people in tech shops is they care about technology. A normal person cares does it look good, sound good and simple to use. I dislike most tech sales pitches tbf and just look at it myself.
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mfaxford)
    For a home screen LED and LCD use the same technology to create the image the difference is the light source: flourescent tubes (CCFL) in LCD and LEDs in LED TV's.

The main benefits this gives LED tvs are: Thinner, require less power, better contrast.
    Yes, so they are different.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 28, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sound and vision threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.