The Student Room Group

Is prescription -0.50 low enough to wear glasses full time?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Endless Blue
I'd definitely recommend wearing them most of the time, if not all. I think my first prescription wasn't too dissimilar, but I never bothered wearing them.

Now I think my eyes are about 5-10x worse.. :colonhash:

Although, that wasn't purely because I didn't wear my glasses then, I didn't wear them much even after my prescription got stronger.

Edit: I wouldn't be too worried about wearing them. I have glasses pretty similar to that and some people say I look better with them on. It's just a case of personal preference, really.

The only thing that I hate about glasses is how dirty they get! And how easily they get dirty! Annoys me so much, which is why I prefer (and wear) contact lenses. But hey, being able to see is worth putting up with a slight inconvenience. My glasses are undoubtedly better for vision than my contacts.

I know this is months later, but someone replied somewhere and it came up on the side. I have - 0.5 on either eye. I use my glasses only for lectures and driving. I don't need to use them for any thing else. In fact, that's what the opticians told me.

On occasion, I've used them for TV, if it's pretty far away
Original post by originaltitle

And are you an ophthalmologist to present your view so confidently? Doctors differ regarding whether or not glasses are bad for the eyes; there is no general consensus.

Clearly, since ophthalmologists (medically trained and with a legal and professional duty not to make a patient's health worse, remember) the world over routinely prescribe spectacles for the treatment of eye defects, to the extent that about 40% of the population wears them, there is a consensus.
There's no need for hostility; you could have put forth your inquiries in a more civil manner. I have experience; I started wearing glasses full-time when I was 11 and my eyesight was -0.something. I stopped wearing glasses full-time when they turned -3.something. I should have stopped before; I was told by many people to stop, but I didn't because I couldn't bear seeing blurred things all around me.
I'm only saying this so that OP doesn't have to go through all that I did. If he's old enough, he can get surgery done and be fine. He doesn't have to ruin his eyesight any more than it already is.

This proves very little, tbh. Your sight changes a lot. Mine changes a lot depending on a lot of things. Wearing glasses isn't one of them.
Reply 43
Original post by Good bloke
Clearly, since ophthalmologists (medically trained and with a legal and professional duty not to make a patient's health worse, remember) the world over routinely prescribe spectacles for the treatment of eye defects, to the extent that about 40% of the population wears them, there is a consensus.
I am sure you don't want to hear my objective on how the medical system works today.

Glasses bring the government a lot of money. About 7% of the glasses cost + about 7% of the wage off all yhe workers in the field is governent money and they earn it every year in average.
It is ecconomically beneficial to teach doctors and optometrist that glasses are good, or at least not bad for your eyes. When your vision goes worse they blame genetics.

Same happens in every aspect in the medical field. Especially food industry.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 44
Original post by OU Student
This proves very little, tbh. Your sight changes a lot. Mine changes a lot depending on a lot of things. Wearing glasses isn't one of them.

My eyesight improved this year a lot when i never used full strength glasses and most of the time spent not wearing glasses at all.
For a few years prior this experiment my eyes were getting worse.
I am an optometry student and get checked various test frequently do the results are medically correct.

Reply 45
Three years ago, my vision was -1.5 -1.25

My doctor prescribed glasses for driving and nothing more. She said "Frequent or continous use will cause further advancement of myopia". Also she explained that one must do exercises for eyes.

A lot of doctors say that they do not help. My doctor said they do not help because people are not doing them. She forgets to do them too what to say about person who has no idea how eye works.

She said that eyes have adapted to watch only close objects because we spend a majority of time doing exactly that while people living in wild have great vision.

In other words, the problem is out lifestyle, how much time our eyes spend watching close-up objects. If you continually wear glasses, by my logical reasoning, your eyesight will decrease. You'll continue to look to close objects, plus the aid of glasses. The combination of this will result in weakening eye muscles.

There are a lot of studies about why myopia is progressing. The main reason - weak and imbalanced eye muscles.

Also our foods are not rich in minerals and vitamins as was like 200 years ago when preservatives, chemicals and other stuff were not used. Everything combined, your body becomes weaker, and it definitely affects eyesight.

My conclusion is to wear glasses only when necessary.
Reply 46
Original post by Valentas
Three years ago, my vision was -1.5 -1.25

My doctor prescribed glasses for driving and nothing more. She said "Frequent or continous use will cause further advancement of myopia". Also she explained that one must do exercises for eyes.

A lot of doctors say that they do not help. My doctor said they do not help because people are not doing them. She forgets to do them too what to say about person who has no idea how eye works.

She said that eyes have adapted to watch only close objects because we spend a majority of time doing exactly that while people living in wild have great vision.

In other words, the problem is out lifestyle, how much time our eyes spend watching close-up objects. If you continually wear glasses, by my logical reasoning, your eyesight will decrease. You'll continue to look to close objects, plus the aid of glasses. The combination of this will result in weakening eye muscles.

There are a lot of studies about why myopia is progressing. The main reason - weak and imbalanced eye muscles.

Also our foods are not rich in minerals and vitamins as was like 200 years ago when preservatives, chemicals and other stuff were not used. Everything combined, your body becomes weaker, and it definitely affects eyesight.

My conclusion is to wear glasses only when necessary.

These are not only eye exercises and not wearing glasses, also propper diet and relaxation hels a lot.

Wearing glasses is actually on top of the list of those 'lots of things'.
When you wear glasses 24/7, you're basically looking through a microscope 24/7. Obviously it's going to strain your eyes. It's an artificial thing; it isn't natural.

Your eyes are going to get strained if you don't wear glasses and use things like the computer.

I should know - I have been wearing glasses since at least 1993.

http://www.specsavers.co.uk/ask-the-optician/question-submitted-can-spectacles-make-your-eyes-worse/

Can you lot actually provide medical evidence backing up your claims? Why would an optician sell you glasses that are unsuitable for you? When I last had my eyes tested, it had to be done 3 times because the result was unexpected. By giving me a weaker prescription, I could see better.
Your eyesight is not that weak :smile:. However, you should wear them if they help "clear things up" as it means they benefit you and will help you see more clearly - so yeah keep them on as they're needed.

PS: Glasses are cool :cool:
You can't tell whether or not your eyes are getting strained just by wearing or not wearing glasses.
Your eyes will get strained without glasses only if you consciously try to see something you can't see. By wearing glasses, your eyes are strained all the time.
I can't link you to any sources that talk about this on the Internet, because I haven't read about it on the Internet. I have a book called Better Eyesight Without Glasses. Perhaps you would care to read about the Bates method.

Your link doesn't work. I also wouldn't trust anything on Wikipedia...
-0.50 and you want to wear glasses full time?! No way, don't do that. Enjoy the novelty now of not being dependent on glasses.

I've need glasses since I was 8, started off at -0.50 too, I'm 16 now and went without wearing glasses at all full time, until last month.

My latest prescription was -4.50, and I was still going round without any glasses at all.

(But now I wear glasses and contacts full time)
Reply 51
That was my prescription when I started wearing glasses at 15 but at that time I only needed them to see the board at school, watch tv and for the cinema.

However, the eyes change during your teens and when I was 21 my prescription had gone to -2.5 and I had to start wearing glasses all the time although I often leave off my glasses for parties and find it is easier to read without them.
Reply 52
I'd definitely recommend wearing them most of the time, if not all. I think my first prescription wasn't too dissimilar, but I never bothered wearing them.

Now I think my eyes are about 5-10x worse.. :colonhash:

Although, that wasn't purely because I didn't wear my glasses then, I didn't wear them much even after my prescription got stronger.

Edit: I wouldn't be too worried about wearing them. I have glasses pretty similar to that and some people say I look better with them on. It's just a case of personal preference, really.

The only thing that I hate about glasses is how dirty they get! And how easily they get dirty! Annoys me so much, which is why I prefer (and wear) contact lenses. But hey, being able to see is worth putting up with a slight inconvenience. My glasses are undoubtedly better for vision than my contacts.

It is embarrasing wearing glasses for the first few weeks, the way that people look at your "new look" but you do get used to them. What I find irritating is the when my glasses get rained on.

After I started wearing specs all the time I was surprised at the number of guys who are attracted to girls who wear glasses so do't worry about it - see better and look better!
Reply 53
I know! Especially with the first pair of glasses I had :facepalm:

Typical 'dorky' looking thin frames with some stupid pattern I think, I have no idea why they (or my family) expected me to wear them. :rolleyes:

A bit like the OP, I've never really liked wearing them outdoors. Happy to wear them inside, but never really liked to outside. Which is why I got contacts :biggrin:

After my prescription moved gradually from -0.50 I found I was wearing glasses all the time after I reached -1.75
I've gone from -0.5 to -2.0. Not sure if it was because I didn't wear my glasses, but when I was first prescribed them I wasn't too bothered and I could see almost completely fine.
I went from -1.75 to +0.5 :s-smilie:

I do wear mine full time; but I get headaches if I don't wear them.
Reply 56
I went from -1.75 to +0.5 :s-smilie:

I do wear mine full time; but I get headaches if I don't wear them.
Usually it happens the other way round.
Original post by Kathy89
Usually it happens the other way round.

How come? For as long as I can remember, I've always been short sighted.
Reply 58
How come? For as long as I can remember, I've always been short sighted.

It is more common that farsighted kids become nearsighted in their teen years then the opposite...
Reply 59
May I ask why lenses aren't an option? I wear the monthly lenses and they're working fine!

Quick Reply

Latest