The Student Room Group

Is prescription -0.50 low enough to wear glasses full time?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Drewski
If you need them to see what's the problem? Who cares what your friends think? If they're really going to go ape at you for daring to correct your vision then they're not your friends. And members of the public aren't going to point and stare at you, glasses are actually common now...

If you like them and they help you: wear them. Nothing else should matter.

When I was told I was going to have to wear glasses I cried and cried and cried but then when they arrived and I put them on I realised how much I needed them. It is embarrassing for a few weeks until people get used to seeing you in specs but get frames that suit you and just let them be part of your looks.
Original post by Billie Jo
After my prescription moved gradually from -0.50 I found I was wearing glasses all the time after I reached -1.75

I made sure to get fashion frames to try to avoid looking dorky but it was just embarrassing until people became used to seeing me wearing specs all the time.
Original post by Anonymous
I've been wearing glasses full time for a few years now. At first the dilemma for me was when I was with a guy and the kissing and cuddling starts at what stage do I take off my glasses? I think this is a problem for a lot of four eyed girls. What I have found that works is that when his hands start wandering if that is what you want just say "hold on I'll take these off" and put your glasses somewhere safe and then let whatever you want to happen happen. If that is not what you want reject the advances in the same way that you would reject him getting under your blouse or skirt.

It works for me - lay back and enjoy in a blurry eyed way.

That was good advice - I had a date tonight - I'm sure you don't want any more details than when my glasses came off!
Original post by cesca42
Don't worry, I'm not shy about it any more :smile: I just prefer contact lenses generally, I find them much more convenient now. To be honest, it was weirder getting used to the feel of frames on my face rather than seeing them there.

It turns me on to be stripped by a guy. Maybe I'm still sensitive about having to wear glasses all the time but I find it more intrusive to have a guy taking off my glasses without permission than pulling down my panties - yes I know, it does not make sense!

On second thoughts it does make sense - if he is clumsy glasses are more expensive to replace than a pair of panties with broken elastic!
Original post by randomguy786
So I had an eye test and found out I'm myopic in both eyes with a prescription of -0.50 and an astigmatism in my left eye.

My glasses arrived today and I really like them. They really clear things up, but I'm incredibly afraid to where them in public or in front of my friends!

Does anyone else with a prescription similar to mine wear them full-time as well? How did you find wearing them I front of friends/public for he first time?

These are the ones I got by the way: http://www.specsavers.co.uk/glasses/modern/tb1142-1/

PS - Contacts are not an option.

When I first had glasses at age 15 that was my prescription and the optician said that I did not need to wear them full time. But my eyes changed during my teens and by the time I was 21 my prescription was -2.5. I should have started wearing glasses full time a couple of years before but I had to acknowledge that I was going to be a four eyed girl. Don't worry about it - they just become part of you.
Original post by cesca42
Also, your glasses are nice, don't worry :')

I realised that I was short sighted when I was about 12 but always managed to sit near to the board at school. I managed to dodge the bullet until I was 15 but then I was at the back of the class and the teacher realised that I could not see the board and sent my parents a note.

The following Saturday morning I was being fitted up with glasses, I cried and cried and cried.

My mother thought she might need reading glasses but then found she was being fitted up with bifocals. So the following Saturday morning we both came home four eyed and trying to cope with our new looks.

Don't worry about it - get frames that suit you. "Men don't make passes at girls who wear glasses" is just not true these days!
Reply 86
Original post by kittyb99
My prescription is about the same as yours, and I did wear my glasses full time for a while, but now I just wear them when I'm staring at my computer for extended periods of time, or when I get a headache :smile:

First of all, enjoy not having to wear specs all the time if you can. They get dusty and they get rained on. I now have to wear mine all the time but I know I need them.

But don't be afraid of wearing them in front of your friends, your glasses do become a part of your looks and personality.
Reply 87
Wear its necessary. My first prescription was +0.50 and has now gone up to +0.75 and have astigmatism on both eyes, originally in my right.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Drewski
If you need them to see what's the problem? Who cares what your friends think? If they're really going to go ape at you for daring to correct your vision then they're not your friends. And members of the public aren't going to point and stare at you, glasses are actually common now...

If you like them and they help you: wear them. Nothing else should matter.

When I was told I would have to wear glasses I cried and cried but then when I started to wear them I realised how much I needed them. Everything was sharpened up so much. Glasses are a nuisance at first, especially the first time you go out in the rain wearing them! But glasses just become part of you and you get used to wearing them and people get used to seeing you in glasses. Wearing glasses is just part of me and my appearance now. (The guys don't seem to mind - never been short of dates since I started with glasses!)
When I was told I would have to wear glasses I cried and cried

Why would you cry over something so small?:confused:
Reply 90
Original post by OU Student

It's not so small for everyone.
Original post by Kathy89
It's not so small for everyone.

It's only glasses. People should be grateful that their vision can actually be corrected. Some of us don't have that luxury.
Reply 92
It's only glasses. People should be grateful that their vision can actually be corrected. Some of us don't have that luxury.
You are right. But still it is not always easy for some people.

It's not a small thing for a teenage girl to be told she has to wear glasses. We all have this image of ourselves and for me glasses were not part of it at the time. When I was told I had to wear glasses I was devastated. My glasses are a part of me now but I now realise that facing up to wearing glasses helped me to grow up.

It really was not small for me. Glasses were not part of the way that I saw myself although once I started wearing them I realised how much I needed them for seeing the world clearly. But it was a shock at first and it was not a small thing for me. It was a major intrusive on my appearance but now that is part of my appearance.

Girls - don't worry - if you are in glasses the guys still want to date you!
It's not a small thing for a teenage girl to be told she has to wear glasses. We all have this image of ourselves and for me I thought I was going to be a Marilyn Monrore, but a Mrilyn in glasses?Glasses were not part of it at the time. When I was told I had to wear glasses I was devastated. My glasses are a part of me now but I now realise that facing up to wearing glasses helped me to grow up.

I agree. I've been wearing glasses all the time for quite a long time now but it was difficult at first and I was embarrarresed for the first few weeks. But to the first time I put on my glasses them on I recognised how the world had sharpened up and I was really quite short sighted ( well a more than a bit short sighted)

Two of my friends have just had eye tests and told that need to wear glasses full time and they cried as well. Sorry, not a small thing sorry us girls with a self image but glasses creates us with a different image.

The important thing is that the blokes don't seem to mind and still don't leave us alone.

Still shortsighted and sometimes sore!
It is a small deal for other people but not for a girl who is told she is going to have to wear glasses.

I cried when I realised that I was going to be wearing glasses all the time for the rest of my life. My friends who wear glasees all cried when they were told that they were going to have to wear glasses. The first few weeks were a bit of a trauma because I reallsed that people were staring at my new look. Just get frames that suit you, get a bounce in your step, wiggle in those high heels and the guys still come after you! Just remember to put those glasses somewhere safe when the passion starts!
It is a small deal for other people but not for a girl who is told she is going to have to wear glasses.

I cried when I realised that I was going to be wearing glasses all the time for the rest of my life. My friends who wear glasees all cried when they were told that they were going to have to wear glasses. The first few weeks were a bit of a trauma because I reallsed that people were staring at my new look. Just get frames that suit you, get a bounce in your step, wiggle in those high heels and the guys still come after you! Just remember to put those glasses somewhere safe when the passion starts!

Just because they stare at you, doesn't mean it's a bad thing.
Just because they stare at you, doesn't mean it's a bad thing.

The guys surely do keep coming after you. I fell pregnant in the same week that I started wearing glasses!
It really was not small for me. Glasses were not part of the way that I saw myself although once I started wearing them I realised how much I needed them for seeing the world clearly. But it was a shock at first and it was not a small thing for me. It was a major intrusive on my appearance but now that is part of my appearance.

Girls - don't worry - if you are in glasses the guys still want to date you! I promise! I got pregnant in my first week in glasses! But just be a bit more careful than I was - it all went OK - my guy is great he loves my glasses and loves our kid.

Two of my friends have had to start wearing glasses in their 30's (one in her late 30's has had start to wear bifocals (the public advertisement that middle age has arrived!) They both cried when they were told they needed glasses and so I can understand why a teenage girl would cry when she was told she was going to be wearing glasses for the rest of her life

Quick Reply

Latest