Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Writing a CV?

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've wrote a CV before, when I was in Year 10 and we were given a piece of paper to fill it out on, but that's it.

I don't know whether to use a template from MS Word, or how to structure it.

Any suggestions please
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    You should take a look at the TSR Wiki Guide for writing CVs: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/CVs

• 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I spoke to the recruiters at ELLE and H&M and they agreed that the first thing they look for is previous employment. If that's bad, they don't bother with it. Just thought this may be helpful.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nombo)
    I spoke to the recruiters at ELLE and H&M and they agreed that the first thing they look for is previous employment. If that's bad, they don't bother with it. Just thought this may be helpful.
    oh i've always wanted to work at h&m. do they only want people with retail experience?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MandyA)
    oh i've always wanted to work at h&m. do they only want people with retail experience?
    Well, this was for the Head Office jobs, I suppose, since it was quite senior people. For shop floor jobs, I presume they'd still need experience though...if you can't find a job, volunteer in a charity shop; they're very grateful and give you good references, in my experience. Let me know what happens! Have you got any work experience at all?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nombo)
    Well, this was for the Head Office jobs, I suppose, since it was quite senior people. For shop floor jobs, I presume they'd still need experience though...if you can't find a job, volunteer in a charity shop; they're very grateful and give you good references, in my experience. Let me know what happens! Have you got any work experience at all?
    ohh i see. yeah i've worked in a hairdressers, community mental health centre and a pre-school. but they don't really relate to the same experience do i don't think they would care
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    ohh i see. yeah i've worked in a hairdressers, community mental health centre and a pre-school. but they don't really relate to the same experience do i don't think they would care
    It's still experience, and the hairdresser's is customer service. So it's not totally irrelevant. However, I do think that if someone with retail experience competed against you, they would get the job. Volunteer in a charity shop for a few weeks, even, it helps immensely!
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't think about the whole job and its setting, thing about the specific skills. One of the key skills for retail is good customer service, breaking that down and thinking about it specifically it means listening carefully to customers and responding quickly and accurately to their requests, planning, preparing and anticipating their needs and wants etc. Did you have to do any of that in the hairdressers, the community mental health centre of in a pre-school - the answer must be yes, in spades!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nombo)
    It's still experience, and the hairdresser's is customer service. So it's not totally irrelevant. However, I do think that if someone with retail experience competed against you, they would get the job. Volunteer in a charity shop for a few weeks, even, it helps immensely!
    yeah i will find one to volunteer in. i'm sure it will help too
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Don't think about the whole job and its setting, thing about the specific skills. One of the key skills for retail is good customer service, breaking that down and thinking about it specifically it means listening carefully to customers and responding quickly and accurately to their requests, planning, preparing and anticipating their needs and wants etc. Did you have to do any of that in the hairdressers, the community mental health centre of in a pre-school - the answer must be yes, in spades!
    that's true. they want people to have good communication skills which i have and i'm a sociable person as well. at the moment i'm trying to apply for starbucks and costa. wish me luck
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Good luck, Mandy!! Keep us posted!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nombo)
    thanks! i definitely will. i may be working at the paralympic games if i get my security licence sorted out. so thats 2 weeks of work. hopefully i find out when i start uni. have you found a job yet?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nombo)
    i was meant to say hopefully i get a job when i start uni

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 21, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.