The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I'm not sure what topics you're doing but generally I prefer mindmaps. I start off with something like Plato, work out his arguments/analogies like the Forms/Cave and then can draw links, work things out, show criticisms - generally I find them pretty useful. ^__^
Reply 2
Bit like Jomo really I do mindmap things...well, mine is a bit fussed-about.

Well, what I do is take a topic, and do it thusly:

Get an A3 piece of paper, and divide it into four parts. Then, for example you're revising Aristotle, you make four headings: Aristotle, Theory, Good Things, Bad Things.

Under Aristotle you have stuff like his dates, key facts about him, his approach etc. The theory bit you have bullet points e.g.

Four Causes: Material, Efficient, Formal, Final (MEFF, sounds like muff hehehehehe)

and by doing little jokes, pictures and tricks of words you have the theory. Then good things and bad things (about the theories) are fairly self-explanatory.
Reply 3
Get a friend around and have the argument yourself? You'll come across lots of new stuff that way.
Reply 4
Maxblue - I like your way of revising. Might try that one... muff hehe
For my philosophy A level and degree, I do this:

eg. ( here's what i can remember from A level work on the ontological argument)

Ontological Argument

- Ontos means reality, Ontological mean concerned with being.
- The Ontological Argument is an a priori argument in that it doesnot rely on any thing that we learn from experience.
- Anselm's Definition of God: "that than which nothing greater can be conceived." Problem the word "God" means different things to different people and religions.

blah blah

So id write all the main argument from the philosopher or theoloigians down from each argument/topic say in epistemology and learn it off by heart, remembering the page layout like a photograph, so in the exams i would have like a book photographed in my mind of all the facts and possible discussion questions that i could ask.

remember every relavent point you make you get a mark. so saying Ontos mean reality is 1 mark, so if you have a crappy argument but write down all the relavent points you can still gain full marks.

The examiner doesnt care if you use words like aide instead of help or convey instead of show - theyre not looking for fancy english, theyre looking for relavent points inc. quotes.

on my Philosophy A level, i used this method and got 99/100 minimum, no joke, and I am now at kcl studying philosophy - 4th best uni for it in the country - it works this mehod, you just got to keep reciting over and over again the points.

I made 27 pages of points for my philosophy A level, its not that much to remember, it might sound it but its not!! degree level ive made a massive folder of pointys to remember and thats only for 1 module, i have 8!! and im on course for a 2:1!! the first are those who work harder!!

good luck
Reply 6
I'm impressed. I made myself remember so much for my philosophy AS exam and somehow managed to get 287 out of 300 (all 3papers added together). Looks like i'm going to have to do it all over again.. there is a lot to remember for A2. Have you guys really started revising for the summer exams? Or are you just doing bits and bobs now and again? I have coursework for other subjects to get done and I'm worried i'm not leaving enough time for revision. I'm sure i'll catch up though. any more revision tips anyone? These ideas are really helpful.

Latest

Trending

Trending