Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Advice re history of medicine and history skills, please

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd be very grateful for any thoughts anyone might have about my situation. As my username suggests, I'm a vet, and I've been qualified over 20 years, working as a GP vet all that time. I qualified from Cambridge. Cambridge vets also obtain an undergraduate degree along the way, as well as the veterinary degree. I got a First in Anthropology, so I have good academic credentials, but they are Very Old.

For a long time, I've been wanting to go back into the academic world; there is a particular area of veterinary/animal history which I have always been interested in, and which I think would be a feasible area for research. However, as there is no such thing as a department of veterinary history, I would have to carve out my own route to get there. After talking it over with another mature vet who's doing a (different type of) PhD, I've realised that, while eventually doing a self-funded PhD is not impossible, I don't currently have the right skills to undertake historical research, and I don't really know whether I am deluding myself to think that I would be capable of it, logistically or intellectually, after all these years in the real world, as it were.

I thought that a good first step, therefore, would be to do some sort of training in history or historical research, and so far I've found a couple of options that look feasible. Whatever I do needs to be part time, as I need to carry on working, and needs to be accessible from south-east England.

a) I could do an MA in History from the Open University - this looks like a broad course, but the requirements suggest that someone who doesn't already have a history BA should do a preliminary module in history first, which obviously would add to the time and cost.
    b) Instead, or beforehand, I could do an undergraduate module in the history of medicine from the OU - that course looks fun but might be aimed more at those with no prior medical knowledge, and I don't know if it would give me the research skills I need; also, it wouldn't on its own give me a qualification and so wouldn't update my CV for the next stage.
    c) I could do a Masters in the History of Medicine somewhere - Warwick and UCL both offer part-time options that look good on paper and are not too far away - but although the courses would be interesting in their own right, only some of the material would transfer to the veterinary world.
    d) I could do a broader Masters in History - lots of options for that.

If anyone either has done a History of Medicine Masters and could give me an idea of what it was like, or could give me feedback on whether my plan sounds credible, I'd be very grateful - thanks in advance for any advice. If I go out and get an MA in a relevant area, will that present me as a credible candidate for a (probably) self-funded research proposal afterwards? Thank you!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 17, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Postgraduate Education Guide

Quick Link:

Unanswered Postgraduate Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.