The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by samizzle
It may be just me, but im finding that writing a personal statement for optometry is proving to be pretty difficult!
didnt expect it to be this hard :/
How is everyone else finding writing thiers?

Haha yeh me too :jumphug:
Reply 41
:yep: Me too! There's such little to talk about without sounding vain :rolleyes:
How many weeks of work experience or volunteering will be necessary?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by Geeky.Me
:yep: Me too! There's such little to talk about without sounding vain :rolleyes:
How many weeks of work experience or volunteering will be necessary?

A couple of weeks should be fine :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830
Wow I remember being in your position this time last year, how quickly that year went :tongue: take time and put lots of effort into your personal statement. Get lots of advice from as many teachers as possible, literally squeeze every bit of help you can get out of them. Get others to see if it reads well. Try to use sentences that don't go over about 25 words otherwise it gets a bit waffly and difficult to read. And do lots of drafts to get it just perfect, I did something like 17 altered versions in the end! I think my personal statement was what saved me and got me offers from all the unis like Aston AAA even though I'm only predicted a B in physics so use it as best you can!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by britchick
Wow I remember being in your position this time last year, how quickly that year went :tongue: take time and put lots of effort into your personal statement. Get lots of advice from as many teachers as possible, literally squeeze every bit of help you can get out of them. Get others to see if it reads well. Try to use sentences that don't go over about 25 words otherwise it gets a bit waffly and difficult to read. And do lots of drafts to get it just perfect, I did something like 17 altered versions in the end! I think my personal statement was what saved me and got me offers from all the unis like Aston AAA even though I'm only predicted a B in physics so use it as best you can!

Could you pleaseeeee send me ur personal statement by email [email protected]
Please I need a good personal statement see what u did that I ain't doing

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by khalidpatel
Could you pleaseeeee send me ur personal statement by email [email protected]
Please I need a good personal statement see what u did that I ain't doing

there are some in the personal statement section on the website.
They don't talk much about optometry

Reply 47
Hello.
Have you found out whether Student Finance will fund for ophthalmic dispensing and for optom ? Or for just the one..

I'm doing Ophthalmic Dispensing this sept, at city :smile:
Reply 48
Optometry wherever you go is fantastic.

Reply 49
Me! Have you heard anything from caley yet?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9000
Reply 50
Original post by Bluetongue
Optometry wherever you go is fantastic.

This may be true, but ive read alot of shady comments online about universitys and companies sugar coating how promising of a career it is. I spoke to 2 second year students, one of them was a bit of a d**K and said "dont do optometery...u dont wanna do optometry mate" and i asked him why a few times but i couldnt get a reply besides "ill let you find out for yourself". so now i feel very anxious about whether the 3 years of study are going to be worth it..

anyone got any unsugarcoated realistic prospects? :frown:
Hey :smile: I'm hoping to apply for optom, so far I'm currently thinking of applying to Aston, City, Manchester. How about you? And as for my personal statement, I've literally just written a couple of sentences so far which I probably won't even end up using in the actual thing
Didn't see a topic yet so thought I'd start one for anyone applying for Optometry to keep each other company or talk about our applications.

I'm a reapplication myself - resitting my A2's and reapplying to Anglia Ruskin because it was genuinely my favourite when I visited a few of them. Probably putting radiotherapy places as my back-up.
Previously I applied for Manchester, Glasgow Caledonian, Ulster and had a back-up of Orthoptics at Liverpool. I got offers from Liverpool, Anglia Ruskin and Ulster, got turned down by Manchester and withdrew my application from Glasgow.

Where is everyone else applying/have you started your applications yet?
Reply 53
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
Didn't see a topic yet so thought I'd start one for anyone applying for Optometry to keep each other company or talk about our applications.

I'm a reapplication myself - resitting my A2's and reapplying to Anglia Ruskin because it was genuinely my favourite when I visited a few of them. Probably putting radiotherapy places as my back-up.
Previously I applied for Manchester, Glasgow Caledonian, Ulster and had a back-up of Orthoptics at Liverpool. I got offers from Liverpool, Anglia Ruskin and Ulster, got turned down by Manchester and withdrew my application from Glasgow.

Where is everyone else applying/have you started your applications yet?

Hi I'm gunna apply for optometry and I thinking of applying to cardiff, Aston, Manchester, city and anglia Ruskin.
I'm hopefully going to be predicted either A or A* in maths A in economics and B in biolog and got a C in AS chemistry. do you think these grades are good enough?
If you don't mind wht will you be predicted?
Original post by hello13
Hi I'm gunna apply for optometry and I thinking of applying to cardiff, Aston, Manchester, city and anglia Ruskin.
I'm hopefully going to be predicted either A or A* in maths A in economics and B in biolog and got a C in AS chemistry. do you think these grades are good enough?
If you don't mind wht will you be predicted?

AAB is plenty good enough to get the standard offer from Manch, ARU and City. I think Cardiff and Aston want AAA, but they might let you in with A*AB.

I got predicted ABB last year, probably going to be the same this year.
Reply 55
AAB is plenty good enough to get the standard offer from Manch, ARU and City. I think Cardiff and Aston want AAA, but they might let you in with A*AB.

I got predicted ABB last year, probably going to be the same this year.

Oh tht should be good then but Cardiff my first choice and as a welsh student I also do welsh bacc which is equivalent to an A and all the unis accept it except ARU
Reply 56
Hi does any body have any suggestions to how I could start my PS for Optometry or what things I should include, that will benefit Optom students particularly?
Thankyou :smile:
Original post by H3210
Hi does any body have any suggestions to how I could start my PS for Optometry or what things I should include, that will benefit Optom students particularly?
Thankyou :smile:

Your PS should always start with why you want to do the course and why you'd be good at it. Then you can get into extracurriculars an te traits they've given you.
Original post by hello13
Oh tht should be good then but Cardiff my first choice and as a welsh student I also do welsh bacc which is equivalent to an A and all the unis accept it except ARU

You should be okay then. :smile:
Reply 59
Your PS should always start with why you want to do the course and why you'd be good at it. Then you can get into extracurriculars an te traits they've given you.

Thankyou! I just don't know how to start it... :/

Latest