The Student Room Group

Best time to book a driving test

Hey :smile:

I'm reasonably close to learning everything covered on the driving test, so I was wondering when people here felt that they were ready to book their test. I'm going to ask my instructor about it as well, but whilst I'm on here I thought i might as well gauge the general opinion.

So when you booked yours had you learned everything and just practiced in the last few weeks? Or did you book knowing that there were things left to learn that you would cover before the test?
14:32
Reply 2
Original post by hilaire
Hey :smile:

I'm reasonably close to learning everything covered on the driving test, so I was wondering when people here felt that they were ready to book their test. I'm going to ask my instructor about it as well, but whilst I'm on here I thought i might as well gauge the general opinion.

So when you booked yours had you learned everything and just practiced in the last few weeks? Or did you book knowing that there were things left to learn that you would cover before the test?

You do not book your driving test, your instructor does. They will have an idea about the current waiting time for a driving test and will book you in when they feel you are ready. Depending upon the waiting time, this will impact what you still have to do obviously.
Reply 3
Original post by evantej
You do not book your driving test, your instructor does. They will have an idea about the current waiting time for a driving test and will book you in when they feel you are ready. Depending upon the waiting time, this will impact what you still have to do obviously.

Myself and all my friends booked our own driving tests...

Personally I think the best time is 10-11:00 in the morning. After the rush hour and school run so you haven't got to worry about running kids over.
Reply 4
Original post by Elwyn
Myself and all my friends booked our own driving tests...

Personally I think the best time is 10-11:00 in the morning. After the rush hour and school run so you haven't got to worry about running kids over.

Apologises I did not think it was possible to book your own test.

I agree about the time though.
Reply 5
Apparently if you book a driving test right at the end of the examiners day, it is more likely you will pass. There is more paperwork for a failure than for a pass, and if you get a particularly lazy examiner or one that wants to go home they may disregard some minors and pass you if you were close to passing. Its just an assumption by some of the driving instructors in my family, apparently there is quite a trend.

Obviously this doesn't count if you blatantly failed, just gives you a slightly better chance. I personally think rush hour shouldn't make a difference, it is probably the main time you will be in your car so if you can't manage to pass a test at that time I'm unsure if you should even be on the road. It doesn't actually make much of a difference anyway, if there is nobody on the roads sometimes your faults can be more obvious because the examiners will be solely concentrating on your driving rather than be doing risk assessment to make sure you don't kill anyone.
Reply 6
I had learnt about 90-90% of the stuff when I booked my test, as there were a few weeks of waiting to do. I booked it, finished off learning the skills and set of practising them... I did mock tests and went over the routes.

The best times are the quiet times. So midweek, after the morning school runs (before lunch time) or after lunch but before the evening rush hour. Basically get the roads really quiet because that means less observation needed (fewer cars) so less stress and you can get through the test faster. You have to complete the required assessments, so traffic just holds things up. Make sure it's not too early that you're tired though... Give yourself plenty of time to get up and have a meal. The summer is also a good time to do it as the conditions are generally quite good... Better than dealing with snow and ice!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending