Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Pressure of parties and alcohol...help!?

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hello
    To keep things brief, I'm 16 and don't like the smell or taste of alcohol, just generally don't and the thought of drinking alcohol has never really appealed to me. I shared this view with a really close guy friend of mine (named tom for these purposes) although obviously some of my other friends disagreed.
    At a recent party (went along just to see what it was like) everyone was drinking apart from me and a friend basically and even he had a little bit, it, for me wasn't fun. Then at my prom after party, tom drank and got really drunk and from then has completely changed and recently brought a few beers and stuff to a group camp out thing..which seemed abit weird.. He claims everything is more fun when drunk.

There is an upcoming party this Saturday and after telling tom I didn't think I would go he began pestering at why I don't drink and that I'missing out...

I know a lot of responses will be to just try it..but 1. I'm scared of what I may be like drunk and 2. I recently told Tom I didn't want to be his girlfriend after he asked and so don't want to do anything il regret or be pushed into anything and 3. My parents don't expect me to get drunk, they know I don't like the taste and so just don't expect it of me I guess

Please help! Sorry for the long post after I tried to 'keep it brief'
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    well...

1- people never know what they are like when they are drunk... just drink a bit and see how you react

2. if you don't want to be Tom's girlfriend that is a different issue to the alcohol. if you don't trust him and think he might take advantage of you then I question the idea that he is your best friend.

3. Just tell your parents you are going to drink and say that you aren't planning on getting drunk, but that you are going to have a few beers or whatever.<--- obviously that only applies if you actually want to drink

Just don't feel you have to drink if you don't want to. You can still have fun without it, it does take getting used to if you dn't drink and everyone else is drinking.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Theres no point in doing it if you dont like the taste to be fair, obviously if you grow to like it (like I and most people do) then theres nothing wrong with having a few drinks at your age now and then:]
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just don't do it. Have your own will instead of giving in and following the crowd like 90% of non-drinkers tend to do. It's your choice to do what you want, don't let anyone else guilt trip you about it just because you don't feel like you need alcohol to grow an interesting personality.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 24hoursmiles)
    Hello
    To keep things brief, I'm 16 and don't like the smell or taste of alcohol, just generally don't and the thought of drinking alcohol has never really appealed to me. I shared this view with a really close guy friend of mine (named tom for these purposes) although obviously some of my other friends disagreed.
    At a recent party (went along just to see what it was like) everyone was drinking apart from me and a friend basically and even he had a little bit, it, for me wasn't fun. Then at my prom after party, tom drank and got really drunk and from then has completely changed and recently brought a few beers and stuff to a group camp out thing..which seemed abit weird.. He claims everything is more fun when drunk.

There is an upcoming party this Saturday and after telling tom I didn't think I would go he began pestering at why I don't drink and that I'missing out...

I know a lot of responses will be to just try it..but 1. I'm scared of what I may be like drunk and 2. I recently told Tom I didn't want to be his girlfriend after he asked and so don't want to do anything il regret or be pushed into anything and 3. My parents don't expect me to get drunk, they know I don't like the taste and so just don't expect it of me I guess

That's the case for me :sexface:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IlexBlue)
    Just don't do it. Have your own will instead of giving in and following the crowd like 90% of non-drinkers tend to do. It's your choice to do what you want, don't let anyone else guilt trip you about it just because you don't feel like you need alcohol to grow an interesting personality.
    Thankyou! Although, because I don't drink and the vast majority of those around me do, I find it hard to 'have fun' because I can't have a rational conversation with someone and so feel abit 'out of place'.. Would you still go to this party on Saturday?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am 19 and when I went uni, everyone around me was getting drunk. Some of my friends encouraged me to go out and get pissed, so I did. And it wasn't fun. I didn't like the feeling of not being able to walk in a straight line. I didn't like being surrounded by people who are either angry or horny. I've found better things to keep myself happy while being sober. Honestly, if you feel like you wouldn't like to get wasted, don't. I don't think you will be missing out too much.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou! Although, because I don't drink and the vast majority of those around me do, I find it hard to 'have fun' because I can't have a rational conversation with someone and so feel abit 'out of place'.. Would you still go to this party on Saturday?
    Well, I personally wouldn't, but that's because my friends and I aren't massive drinkers or party-goers. It depends on what you want, really.

If you want to go but feel hesitant because of the drinking, go. You might find you can still have fun and join in anyway, and the worst case scenario is you don't, feel bored and you can just leave. If you simply don't want to go, then don't. You won't enjoy yourself if you feel obligated to be there, and there will be other (less alcohol-oriented) occasions to join in on.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Young students who have just left home for the first time to go to uni tend to be very irresponsible drinkers. Good on you for being sensible. Your body will thank you for it in years to come!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm the same way as you.
    I'd say just stand up for yourself and say no. You'll have plenty of time in the future to try alcohol if you want to (e.g. Uni). House parties get boring real quick anyway, from my experience.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    People make such a big deal out of drinking alcohol. Just see it like going out for a coffee. Its sociable, the taste gets a little getting used to, one or two cups will perk you up, but if you have more than three you will get a headache.

What's the big deal exactly?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can have alcohol without getting drunk. You can be sensible with it, and having alcohol in small amounts is good for you. But it's also ok not to like alcohol and choosing not to have it is sensible, but at 16 you can't have tried everything. I don't like dry wines or champagne, spirits on their own or cocktails without fruit juice. That rules out a lot of drinks, but I like sweet wines and asti (like a cheap, sweet champagne) and cocktails with fruit juices in.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    I never used to like it either, but then I experimented with a few friends at some house parties and found a few things I like. Jaffa cake vodka, not as bad as it sounds. Ridiculous, but I like it. I've never been completely out of my mind drunk, like you, I don't want to be. I have a friend who doesn't drink though, he's a good mate to have at parties actually because he's fun even when he's sober so you know there's someone who isn't completely "bleezin' " as my friends say. So you could try just sort of playing around a bit, see if there are actually some drinks you like. Sometimes people will try and pressure you to drink but to be honest, if you say no enough times they'll leave you alone. Means more alcohol for them. And you can always drink without getting drunk, the trick is to get to the giggly, happy stage, then stop. Still have fun, don't wake up with a raging hangover. :yep: But yeah, don't worry about it. If you don't like it, you don't like it. Just enjoy everyone elses drunken silliness, my old classmates are hilarious when they're pissed. Well, some are. Some are terrifying. Don't let the fact that you don't like alcohol stop you having fun, trust me, it's completely possible to enjoy yourself without drinking. Although yeah, house parties can get really dull after a while if you're sober. Just dance and eat loads of food (if there is any), and it's all good.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Go get drunk.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    A real friend wouldn't try to pressure you into drinking.

From the looks of it, your 'mate' Tom thinks he's billy badass just cos he got pissed that one time, and now he thinks it's his duty to get you on the same boat.

If you don't like drinking, don't do it. I don't understand why people give a **** if people drink or not, it's not like it makes you particularly 'cool' if you get pissed every night.

It is extremely likely that you will get drunk at one point in your life, but that time is for you to decide when it happens, not some wasteman who thinks he's a proper baddaman for swigging from the vodka bottle.

Go to the party, enjoy yourself, but don't succumb to the hilarious concept that is peer pressure. My mates know not to try it on me cos I will just tell them to eat their own poo.

P.S. Don't forget to do the migraine skank at said party. SKANK OUT.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Alcohol generally does taste horrible, that's why we mix it with other things! You could try a shandy (beer and lemonade), or simple cocktails like vodka and orange - that way you can control how much alcohol you put in (a single shot is only 32ml). Or try the weaker bottles like WKD or Smirnoff Ice? I generally don't drink by myself, I only drink when I'm with other people.

I didn't even drink until I was 18 at uni. I wanted to but my mother never let me! I had SO much fun in freshers week because I was ready to try it, and ready to meet new people etc, whereas it's not gonna be fun for you if you're pressured into trying it - discovering things for yourself is much better!

Just wait tbh, you'll realise it's not that big of a deal, have drinks to be social is way better than having drinks just to get drunk (as many teenagers do). With your friend, either just keep telling him you don't wanna drink, or just have one to make him happy and he'll stop badgering you!

You never know what you'll be like drunk, some are silly drunks, aggressive drunks, philosophical etc, but one or two won't get your drunk. It can help actually, it's makes you more sociable and talkative
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend at least trying a few of the nicer drinks - you don't have to get drunk, it tends to be the immature people who drink solely to get drunk, I drink because I like the taste - vodka and lemonade is my favourite because it tastes like lemonade with a bit of a kick. One or two isn't going to get you drunk unless you're a complete lightweight, but even still, being tipsy is a fun experience - everything is more fun, and yet you can still pretty much remember everything from the night before give it a try, find out what kind of drunk/tipsy person you are and then re-evaluate the situation
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    People just start drinking, or liking drink at different ages. Like yours, many of my friends were drinking every so often at parties and stuff at 16, myself included. Once we were in sixth form, 17 going on 18, drinking was a pretty normal thing for most people. But I had one friend who was like you and didn't like drinking, he would always come to the parties and stuff, but never drank no matter how much people hassled him about it.
    It wasn't until he was 18 that he drank for the first time, and now a couple of years later he drinks and comes out every time we do.

Odds are that you'll start drinking eventually, though some people just never like it, but it might just be that you're a couple of years of yet, especially if it's only the taste putting you off. I didn't particularly like many alcoholic drinks when I was 16 and even once I could legally drink I was mainly drinking cider. Now i'm 20 and it's beer/lager everytime! :lol:
    • 84 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello

Hey, don't feel you have to try it if you don't want to. Really. There's the general view of having to try everything once, even on this thread, but interestingly the same people who write really detailed replies advising you on the different kinds of drinks wouldn't give a hoot if you said you didn't like cheese, or coffee, or bananas. So if you don't want to, don't. And if you don't want to go to the party, just don't go. I used to go because I was worried about missing out and seeming nerdy and boring, but I really didn't enjoy them, so I stopped going. And was happier Really, life's too short to be worrying about what people will think. I know you feel like you're the only one, and I feel like that too sometimes, but you've got some strong reasons not to want to. If you don't see it as a big deal, no one else will. And if they do, they're idiots. Quite a few of the posts on here are actually telling you you will inevitably end up drinking and that you become more interesting and sociable when tipsy, but you don't have to try it if you don't want to. Really.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by such_a_lady)
    Hey, don't feel you have to try it if you don't want to. Really. There's the general view of having to try everything once, even on this thread, but interestingly the same people who write really detailed replies advising you on the different kinds of drinks wouldn't give a hoot if you said you didn't like cheese, or coffee, or bananas. So if you don't want to, don't. And if you don't want to go to the party, just don't go. I used to go because I was worried about missing out and seeming nerdy and boring, but I really didn't enjoy them, so I stopped going. And was happier Really, life's too short to be worrying about what people will think. I know you feel like you're the only one, and I feel like that too sometimes, but you've got some strong reasons not to want to. If you don't see it as a big deal, no one else will. And if they do, they're idiots. Quite a few of the posts on here are actually telling you you will inevitably end up drinking and that you become more interesting and sociable when tipsy, but you don't have to try it if you don't want to. Really.
    But bananas are the source of all evil in the world. Nobody likes bananas.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 18, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.