The Student Room Group

Positions of responsibility

Looking at a penultimate-year internship with a Big 4 company or similar in the finance world.

I have an excellent academic record, a variety of (unrelated/menial) work experience and have been involved in a few of the media societies on a contributory level.

However, I have no demonstrable positions of responsibility in any of the societies. Especially since I don't do a numerate degree either, I figure this is where the whole house of cards comes tumbling down.

(I suppose there is some element of responsibility in running my own radio show/submitting halfway decent articles, but nothing titular, I am no section editor or anything.)

Is there any point bothering? If I gave up on the internship and left it till the grad scheme, I'm worried I'd never get in because surely I wouldn't have demonstrated the same commitment to the field that everyone who did an internship did?

Can anyone advise me on courses of action? Are smaller companies likely to give me a chance at an internship? Is there any conceivable way you can get an internship at the end of your final year rather than penultimate - possibly by doing a Masters, getting elected to the student union, or insisting you are planning to take a gap year? Are there internships in related fields which might help? Am I completely mental and I should abandon the whole idea and go back to my rightful place in the dole queue?

Sorry for the rather manic tone, I've had a lot to deal with lately in my personal life and have only just realised all these firms' applications are open!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Arekkusu
Looking at a penultimate-year internship with a Big 4 company or similar in the finance world.

I have an excellent academic record, a variety of (unrelated/menial) work experience and have been involved in a few of the media societies on a contributory level.

However, I have no demonstrable positions of responsibility in any of the societies. Especially since I don't do a numerate degree either, I figure this is where the whole house of cards comes tumbling down.

(I suppose there is some element of responsibility in running my own radio show/submitting halfway decent articles, but nothing titular, I am no section editor or anything.)

Give it a shot!

I had nothing really (except maybe something from 2 or so years ago) and I got through the initial stage. Even Ernst and Young doesn't actually require a position of responsibility, it's more if you have it, put it down:

E&Y application form
Please provide any recent work experience and or positions of responsibility that you have gained, providing details on the nature of the role and the responsibilities, including any additional information relevant to your application. Please note there is space for up to 3 positions of responsibility and or work experience if needed.

...so I'd mention the radio show thing and the work experience.

Is there any point bothering? If I gave up on the internship and left it till the grad scheme, I'm worried I'd never get in because surely I wouldn't have demonstrated the same commitment to the field that everyone who did an internship did?

Internship graduates only make up a (small) percentage of the graduate intake, most will have not done an internship.

Is there any conceivable way you can get an internship at the end of your final year rather than penultimate

I believe PwC have an internship for graduates as well as penultimate year students.
Reply 2
First off, 'giving up' on internship applications and waiting for graduate schemes isn't a good idea IMO, things just get even more competitive at graduate level. The thing to remember is that not many people have much in the way of fantastic experience prior to doing a 3rd year placement anyway, so don't see this as a show stopper. Conversely at graduate level lots of people do have experience, so definitely try to secure that internship now so that you have less to worry about then. They're going to be more interested in how you present yourself and the potential you offer. Big up the things you've done, seems like you've been more active in societies then I was in my first two years and it didn't hold me back finding placements at all. Make a list of the different things you have done and the competencies they show, you'll be amazed how quickly the list builds. I remember being like 'wtf, 2 examples of team leadership? TWO?' on my first application, but when you actually weigh up your experiences we all get opportunities be it at work or in uni projects etcetera so I'm sure you'll find you have more valid experiences then you think.

Also, don't feel you need to do a big 4 internship in order to get a position there when you graduate (although obviously it helps!). Any professional experience will be looked fondly upon, so if necessary broaden your search. I'll be entirely honest with you, when I was looking for my placement I hadn't even heard of the big 4 firm I've ended up working for (blushes :redface:) and had nooo clue that I would end up doing anything to do with finance. I actually ended up ultimately choosing my placement company based on revenue :teehee:, so the fact that you're even thinking about this stuff now probably puts you ahead of a lot of people. Good luck!
You are far better off trying your luck and applying. Never give up without even trying, what's wrong with you!
Reply 4
Hey guys,

I applied for EY UK audit/assurance department and cleared their application, test and first round interview. I have an assessment centre with them on monday and was hoping few of you could share their experiences about the structure and any advice on the stages.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending