The Student Room Group

Need help in choosing Newcastle or Birmingham for A100

Hello guys,

For 2013 entry, I have narrowed down 3 schools for A100 Medicine. Now I just need to pick a 4th school and I am having a hard time deciding between Newcastle and Birmingham. I am also an international so I haven't visited either cities. What would you guys choose and why?

Thank you for the help.

Scroll to see replies

They're both good medical schools. Have you looked at their prospectuses?

Personally, if I had the choice, I'd go Newcastle. Not because it's better, but I just can't afford a good stab proof vest.

I jest!
Reply 2
I did look at their prospectuses and I also looked on the net to see what birmingham and newcastle are like. My impression from people are that Newcastle has a really nice student life and everybody seems to like it there. Whereas when people talk about Birmingham, they all say it is a big city with good night life. Therefore, it's hard to pick which school as the 4th choice.
Reply 3
Original post by xadmin
Hello guys,

For 2013 entry, I have narrowed down 3 schools for A100 Medicine. Now I just need to pick a 4th school and I am having a hard time deciding between Newcastle and Birmingham. I am also an international so I haven't visited either cities. What would you guys choose and why?

Thank you for the help.

I would choose Newcastle personally. Although I do live in Newcastle and may be bias, I pass the university to get to work every week and the campus is so nice, very entwined with the city. The people are all really nice, of course you get some odd jobs but that's the same everywhere. Parts of the RVI (hospital) are new and the medical science department is really awesome (did a week medicine masterclass there).
Birmingham is a very, very good medical school and rule it out at your peril! Newcastle is also very good, but less traditional than Birmingham.
Original post by xadmin
Hello guys,

Thank you for the help.

Both are fantastic medical schools. I am about to start at Newcastle medical school and so would obviously be very biased in my opinion. What are your other 3 choices out of interest?
You can't really make this decision without your UKCAT results. I'd say if you get 680+ apply to Newcastle if not apply to Birmingham because without a high UKCAT you don't stand a chance a Newcastle but with it, it's pretty much a guaranteed interview.
Reply 7
The big difference between the two unis is that Newcastle is pretty much slap-bang in the city centre whereas Birmingham is more of a campus uni slightly out of the city (you can get a train there).

Trying to think of what might appeal to an international student (do you mind me asking where you come from?)

Birmingham is a bigger city with arguably more to do in terms of culture and concerts, but I'd say Newcastle has more character. Newcastle has beautiful beaches nearby and is close to both Edinburgh and York. Birmingham is closer to Manchester, London and Oxford.

As for A100, I'm not sure what the difference is between the two.
how were your GCSE's? if you didn't get 8 or 9 A*'s (forgot if it was 8 or 9) then no use in applying to birmingham.. if you get a high UKCAT (700+) then apply to Newcastle because that would mean a very high chance of getting an interview. if you get a score below 680, then apply to Birmingham..
for student experience, im going to Newcastle this September, and i heard that it isn't as big as Birmingham or many other cities, but has one of the highest relative abundance of students, maybe the highest, and lots of internationals. also, the medical research in Newcastle University is one of the top in the UK.
good luck with your choice, in the end, they are both very good medical schools.
Reply 9
I am from North America and I didn't take the GCSE. So is there less medical research opportunities at Birmingham than at Newcastle?

Matt, what do you mean by less traditional? Is it the teaching at Newcastle more modern?

In term of reputation, both schools have about the same reputation oversea.
Reply 10
Hi, I believe you have messaged me on a different forum a while ago. I will reply here :smile:

I chose Newcastle over Birmingham primarily because Birmingham concentrates on your high school diploma marks as they do not consider the UKCAT. I scored pretty well on the UKCAT, so I decided to apply to Newcastle (Durham Campus) as I felt that I will be able to play by my strength (Newcastle - if you meet their grade and UKCAT cut-off, you're guaranteed an interview). Moreover, I didn't have a "fantastic" highschool marks, so I didn't really think applying to Birmingham was a good idea.

The bottom line is, please look into the prospectus of both school AFTER you write your UKCAT. You really can't make any decisions before you write your UKCAT.

I've been to Newcastle for my interview and it was lovely. It was really vibrant, students were willing to help out (as I got lost on my way to the interview :tongue:) and most of all, the city is very international-friendly. I'm sure Birmingham has its pros as well, but from my personal experiences, Newcastle was an amazing city :smile: I'm sure you will have a fantastic time in Newcastle and I'm sure many Newcastle medics on this forum can help you out!

Best of luck with your application and the soon-approaching UKCAT!
K2
Reply 11
I thought the UKCAT cutoff for the Durham and Newcastle campus is about the same?

Original post by doctork2
Hi, I believe you have messaged me on a different forum a while ago. I will reply here :smile:

I chose Newcastle over Birmingham primarily because Birmingham concentrates on your high school diploma marks as they do not consider the UKCAT. I scored pretty well on the UKCAT, so I decided to apply to Newcastle (Durham Campus) as I felt that I will be able to play by my strength (Newcastle - if you meet their grade and UKCAT cut-off, you're guaranteed an interview). Moreover, I didn't have a "fantastic" highschool marks, so I didn't really think applying to Birmingham was a good idea.

The bottom line is, please look into the prospectus of both school AFTER you write your UKCAT. You really can't make any decisions before you write your UKCAT.

I've been to Newcastle for my interview and it was lovely. It was really vibrant, students were willing to help out (as I got lost on my way to the interview :tongue:) and most of all, the city is very international-friendly. I'm sure Birmingham has its pros as well, but from my personal experiences, Newcastle was an amazing city :smile: I'm sure you will have a fantastic time in Newcastle and I'm sure many Newcastle medics on this forum can help you out!

Best of luck with your application and the soon-approaching UKCAT!
K2
Reply 12
Original post by xadmin
I thought the UKCAT cutoff for the Durham and Newcastle campus is about the same?

It is the same, as far as I know. Sorry for the misunderstanding!
Reply 13
If finances are an issue to you, I personally would chose Newcastle. They have a comparatively lower cost of living and tuition fees.

Newcastle has one of the best student night life too, apparently
Reply 14
Original post by Ergo
If finances are an issue to you, I personally would chose Newcastle. They have a comparatively lower cost of living and tuition fees.

Newcastle has one of the best student night life too, apparently

Tuition fees are the same for Birmingham and Newcastle - £9000.
Reply 15
Original post by adsyrah
Tuition fees are the same for Birmingham and Newcastle - £9000.

OP's an international student so pays a much higher tuition fee
Original post by xadmin
Hello guys,

Thank you for the help.

Well it depends what you are looking for.

Different academic requirements - Newcastle a strong UKCAT is needed whilst with Bham strong grades are required (i.e 8A* at GCSE and you NEED 4 A at AS so your equivalent should be strong)

Bham is more campusy (not a word but i think it feels more homey)

All in all they are both excellent unis but where you apply depends on the kind of person you are and where you are more likely to enjoy and most importantly try to get in.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
Doesn't matter that much since it is a 4th.
I'd reject both but if forced N'castle.
I'm an international student at Birmingham and I would say it is a great medical school and would recommend it to you.

The city centre is very close to the uni and we have our own station( the only in the country :smile: ) just in front of the medical school.

There are quite alot of internationals in Birmingham as well( about 30) in the medicine course itself.

And there is also an international airport in Birmingham, being an international student that is also important. it is also, only an hour and half train journey from London.

Finally as others have mentioned above you should decide mainly based on you academic, as it is going to influence whther you get called for interview or not. As an international applicant the competition is going to be fierce.

Whatever decision you take, all the best OP :smile:

P.S. Birmingham is the 2nd largest city in uk.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 19
2nd largest in UK means very little, basically it's London or nothing but appreciate the punt from a Bham student I guess.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending