The Student Room Group

Brunel vs Goldsmiths for English Literature

Hello,
I got into Brunel and Goldsmiths for MA in English Literature. I am confused which one to go for. The programme at Goldsmiths is slightly different - it runs under the title, Comparative Literature. Since I am not familiar with a language other than English, is it going to be difficult for me? Has anyone here studied or studying this programme? I chose the Modern Literature pathway. Other than that, what other considerations for both the unis do I take into account - living and studying, and the universities themselves? Which one fares better? Please help!
Reply 1
Original post by Mayflower13
Hello,
I got into Brunel and Goldsmiths for MA in English Literature. I am confused which one to go for. The programme at Goldsmiths is slightly different - it runs under the title, Comparative Literature. Since I am not familiar with a language other than English, is it going to be difficult for me? Has anyone here studied or studying this programme? I chose the Modern Literature pathway. Other than that, what other considerations for both the unis do I take into account - living and studying, and the universities themselves? Which one fares better? Please help!

Can't answer the other questions but this one. I googled that course and:

http://www.gold.ac.uk/pg/ma-comparative-literary-studies/modern-literature/

All texts will be studied in English or in English translation.

So no. It won't be difficult in that sense.
Well, I can't speak for either program, but I think you need to ask yourself if you want to study "English Lit" or "Comparative Lit" because they are two different academic studies, both within the realm of literature, but with a very different focus. If you initially wanted to pursue "English Lit", then I'd go for the program at Brunel.
Reply 3
Original post by Mayflower13
Hello,

I just graduated from Brunel University, all I can say is that the University is making massive improvements which started coming into fruition in my final year so anyone going this year and onwards is going to benefit massively from a whole range of student union stuff. Speaking for your course in particular though I have a few friends who stayed on at Brunel and did a masters in English Literature too so I guess it must be pretty decent. Personally I studied a business degree and definitely don't regret the experience.
Reply 4
I don' know much about the subject or the unis involved, but my 2 cents is that Goldsmiths has a pretty good rep for English from what I've been able to gather.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending