Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Do you genuinely think you're smarter than the average TSR user?

Announcements Posted on
  • View Poll Results: Are you smarter than the average TSR user?
    Yes
    59.06%
    No
    40.94%

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm natrually smart, I'm not particually hardworking and have pretty much coasted through life which is somethign I need to change. Last year I did an Access course with Chemisty, Advanced Maths and English Litt as my subjects and with no revision and leaving everything to the last possible minute I got 15/15 Distictions in both Maths and Chemistry and 9 Distictions and 6 Merits in Litt (can't spell and my grammar is horrific).

Tried a Mensa IQ test the other day just to see if it was worth applying to do a proper one (something to put on my C.V.) got 27/30 (got 1 wrong and left 2 unanswered, both were anagrams which I just can't do.) Aparrently that would be enough to qualify me. Thing is I know I have above average inteligence but I try not to be arrogant about it because, at the end of the day, I didn't earn it. I don't work hard for it so it's not an achievement. It'S just something that I am...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zedbrar)
    Everyone on TSR seems to get nothing but A's....but I have never got an A in my life. It would therefore seem that I am way below average for TSR.
    I hear ya! These last summer results are my final chance to get that elusive A
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by . . .)
    Doesn't matter it doesn't mean you should waste that time.
    But you're not gonna remember anything so it's all pointless. It shall be like you never even existed. And even if you build a name for yourself, it still doesn't matter. For you're not gonna remember, are you?
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaliack)
    Well, I'm in quite a pickle then. If I presume that the average TSR users grades are within the top 25 percentile, then I'll just guess that I am (very slightly) above average.
    That's probably a safe guess, as I would posit that the average TSR user does not have as high grades as it might initially appear (people are more likely to show their grades if they are higher, so there is a kind of selection bias in the observed data).
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jason2)
    But you're not gonna remember anything so it's all pointless. It shall be like you never even existed. And even if you build a name for yourself, it still doesn't matter. For you're not gonna remember, are you?
    Well sure, but you can always live for the here and now. :dontknow:
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Like I've said doesn't mean you should waste the time between now and then.

After 50 years do you really want to look back and think wish I did or attempted that.

This is going off topic.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MMoor18)
    Tried a Mensa IQ test the other day just to see if it was worth applying to do a proper one (something to put on my C.V.) got 27/30 (got 1 wrong and left 2 unanswered, both were anagrams which I just can't do.) Aparrently that would be enough to qualify me. Thing is I know I have above average inteligence but I try not to be arrogant about it because, at the end of the day, I didn't earn it. I don't work hard for it so it's not an achievement. It'S just something that I am...
    I've never seen an IQ test result on a CV, and I'm not sure it would come across well if you included one to be honest.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes i feel i'm surrounded by idiots in real life so i log on to TSR!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes what you're saying is true to a point, but even more reason to enjoy the here and now and you never know when your relatively short time is up. If there's no point trying because whatever you acheive will eventually be forgotten by everyone then what's the point in getting up in the morning? May aswell kill yourself and cut out the middle man.........

Cheer up and live your life for yourself.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    I've never seen an IQ test result on a CV, and I'm not sure it would come across well if you included one to be honest.
    no I mean being a member of Mensa would look good on a C.V :P
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    what has remembering got to do with anything? don't be so negative, you are still LIVING your life, experiencing it.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by . . .)
    Aren't you a theist?
    No, where did you get that from? Islamic name =/= theist.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genocidal)
    Unless you can define exactly what type of intelligence/smart we are talking about then I will abstain.
    It's hard to give a definition but I should make it clear that I don't mean things like being hardworking or getting 6 As or anything like that
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    hell no, i always like coming on tsr as i find lots of users genuinely intelligent and funny, and love coming across posts which reflect exactly what i want to say but can't express well. but then again there's Otkem, made in the usa and isa...
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilyas)
    No, where did you get that from? Islamic name =/= theist.
    Your previous posts that I've seen. Like this for example.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...=#post37995875
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellissima)
    what has remembering got to do with anything? don't be so negative, you are still LIVING your life, experiencing it.
    Because memory is what makes you who you are. :confused:
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MMoor18)
    no I mean being a member of Mensa would look good on a C.V :P
    That still indirectly indicates an IQ in the top 2% though (if I remember correctly).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    That still indirectly indicates an IQ in the top 2% though (if I remember correctly).
    Ye but idicating it is better than outright saying it :P and it has a certain prestige to it. I think most people that were in Mensa would include it on their C.V.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because memory is what makes you who you are. :confused:
    that doesn't mean you can't enjoy what you are living through now...

would you rather sit there thinking "oh i will die in about 50 years so there's no point doing anything because i nor anyone else will remember it" and having a crap to mediocre existance... OR enjoying it? just because you will die and no one will remember you does not mean you never existed.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Possibly - it's too easy for people to lie on here saying that they got 15 A*s at gcse and 5A*s at a-level. So no-one can ever properly know, without privacy becoming an issue. Although these kinds of sites probably do attract the students with above average interlect.

Plus, many users are at uni apparantly, so I doubt I know more than them.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 15, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.