The Student Room Group

TSR Headphone and Earphone Society Mk I

Just thought I'd start up a thread for people who spend... lets' say £50 or more on their headphones or earphones to discuss their past and current pairs.

The earliest pair I can remember starting off with was these and they were a nice little pair while I had them, but I soon strayed away. They cost about £45-50 at the time but while on the bus someone thought it'd be a good idea to pull both headphones away from my ears and let go, they didn't last that long(due to being carried around in a bag full of books etc) and I decided to not get any more headphones. Not only because of that but also due to comfort, sound leakage/isolation etc.

I've owned IEMs since then Shure SE110s, Sennheiser CX550 IIs and Sennheiser CX980s. I may have owned others but I can't recall any expensive ones, most of the others were backups and now I'm looking to get Yamaha EPH-100s. They aren't easy to find in the UK but I found them. :smile: I've got to say I can't wait, I'm wearing cheap almost-knackered back-ups right now and they're absolutely slaughtering Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody. :puke:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Well I've never spent more than £10 on headphones/earphones as im not really a sound enthusiast. But a few months ago when I bought my Nokia Lumia 800 they came with a free pair of Nokia & Monster Purity HD's which seem to market anywhere from £80 to about £120. They definately a good claim far better sound than cheap headphones, Lots of bass, makes it much easier to appreciate every single beat and instrument in the song. And despite all the attention on the actual instrumental the vocals are just as crisp. The headphones fold up and feel well made so I definately expect them to last me quite long and when they do eventually break no way am I going back to earphones let alone cheap ones.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by FrescoDiMorte
Well I've never spent more than £10 on headphones/earphones as im not really a sound enthusiast. But a few months ago when I bought my Nokia Lumia 800 they came with a free pair of Nokia & Monster Purity HD's which seem to market anywhere from £80 to about £120. They definately a good claim far better sound than cheap headphones, Lots of bass, makes it much easier to appreciate every single beat and instrument in the song. And despite all the attention on the actual instrumental the vocals are just as crisp. The headphones fold up and feel well made so I definately expect them to last me quite long and when they do eventually break no way am I going back to earphones let alone cheap ones.

Haha my friend thought it would be funny to get the Purity HDs in pink, and bloody hell are they pink! Not bad for a free pair though, although Christ knows where Monster have pulled the £200 RRP from, that's just ludicrous. I'd peg them at about £80 from my own experience. They've obviously made a good gateway headphone though, if they've got you thinking about spending a decent amount of money on them in the future [=
Reply 3
I wouldn't call myself an 'enthusiast' but I appreciate good quality audio so I have a pair of Sennheiser IE7s. I got them for £37, refurbished from Play.
Reply 4
What are the Phonaks like? I was looking at them but I can't decide whether it's worth shelling out another £40/50 for them or not. Thankfully I won't technically be paying for these Yamahas but I always say if it's worth it I'll pay for them. I believe the PFE 112 IEMs are more or less the same without the inline mic, so if it's worth it I might get those instead.

I envy you a lot, but maybe I have a problem too - I would love to spend £200 or 300 on a pair of IEMs but then again with my current set up I'm not sure I'd hear the difference. I need a new mp3 player first, and at some point a decent sound card before I can fully appreciate a pair like your Minervas.
I would be an enthusiast if I didn't break all of mine within 3 months.
I just cycle through some JVC Xtreme Xplosive in ears every few months now. They get the job done.
I also have a pair of RHA over ears for when I don't feel like in in ears and a Corsair Vengeance 1500 headset for the PC.
I have a pair of Shure SE425 for purely mobile audio purposes. Thinking of getting a Monster Diamond Tears for home/accessory :biggrin:
Reply 7
Hey, could you guys help me out?
Basically, I want a decent pair of earphones that will last me at least a year. I'm looking at a budget of about £50 (no more). I mainly listen to classic rock (Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Doors, etc.) so I don't really want a pair of very bass-heavy headphones. Any suggestions would be great :smile:
I've got some Marshall Majors, fantastic for classic rock!
Reply 9
Original post by FloydHead
Basically, I want a decent pair of earphones that will last me at least a year. I'm looking at a budget of about £50 (no more). I mainly listen to classic rock (Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Doors, etc.) so I don't really want a pair of very bass-heavy headphones. Any suggestions would be great :smile:

If you don't mind buying from ebay I'd say Vsonic GR06 IEMs I guess, they review well. Going for £40 on ebay but haven't been able to track them down anywhere else.
Original post by alexs2602
What are the Phonaks like? I was looking at them but I can't decide whether it's worth shelling out another £40/50 for them or not. Thankfully I won't technically be paying for these Yamahas but I always say if it's worth it I'll pay for them. I believe the PFE 112 IEMs are more or less the same without the inline mic, so if it's worth it I might get those instead.

I envy you a lot, but maybe I have a problem too - I would love to spend £200 or 300 on a pair of IEMs but then again with my current set up I'm not sure I'd hear the difference. I need a new mp3 player first, and at some point a decent sound card before I can fully appreciate a pair like your Minervas.

The Phonaks are fantastic, I initially bought them for use in my ultra portable rig for work/exercise (My main rig is about half the size of a house brick) but they've quickly become my go-to pair for rock listening, upper range clarity is awesome. Bass is a bit lacking though as expected from a pair of single BA headphones, so not the best choice for EDM. I'm planning to buy a pair of their extra-bass filters to see how much of a difference they make.

If they sound like your kind of headphone I strongly recommend following hifiheadphones.co.uk on Facebook, they've had a half price promotion on the 122s at least twice in the last six months. That's when I picked mine up. I'm sure you'll enjoy the EPH-100s though, I've heard a lot of good things about them!

Original post by superawesomepanda
I have a pair of Shure SE425 for purely mobile audio purposes. Thinking of getting a Monster Diamond Tears for home/accessory :biggrin:

Definitely try before you buy the Tears, I had a brief go with them last week and the really sounded like typical Monster style-over-substance cans. Definitely not worth £200+.

Original post by FloydHead

The GR06s mentioned above are a fantastic IEM for this price range. If you'd rather go over ear, the two best options are either the Superluxes I mentioned in my first post, or the Creative Aurvana Live for use outdoors, something the Superluxes aren't suited to.

Original post by jerseymackem
I've got some Marshall Majors, fantastic for classic rock!

I've just bought my dad a pair for his birthday, I'll be interested in putting them through their paces (:
If you don't mind buying from ebay I'd say Vsonic GR06 IEMs I guess, they review well. Going for £40 on ebay but haven't been able to track them down anywhere else.

Frogbeatz sell them, they're very popular there though!
Reply 12
Shi-! I'm going to keep an eye on them, if they restart an offer they seem to have had recently I'll buy them and sell the pair that comes free. Thanks for the heads up. Their last half price promotion on the PFE 122 IEMs was last month. :|

Oh, I wasn't sure if they'd stopped stocking them. I saw they were out of stock and I guess as I'm not familiar with Frogbeatz I wasn't sure.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
I got some Sennheiser earphones fairly recently. I think CX 280 or something around there. They're such an improvement on what I'd normally have it's insane. I'd like to try some really fancy ones at some point to see if there's much difference, but quite a lot of my music is done on a pretty low budget so there isn't much there in the first place to be able to get the most out of it!
Reply 14
I had a look at hifiheadphones and they had 2 half price promos on the PFE122s in the last 3 months on fb so I had a thought; being a poor student and not overly great at being careful, if a promo comes up on the PFE122s again I'll buy one pair, try to flog them for a profit on ebay then buy 2 more pairs of earphones with the profit. 1 of them as my main pair and the other pair probably as a backup pair. I've thought it through if I do decide to go through with it.

Any opinions?
Reply 15
I'm waiting for some poor child to say Beats by Dre :erm:
I had a look at hifiheadphones and they had 2 half price promos on the PFE122s in the last 3 months on fb so I had a thought; being a poor student and not overly great at being careful, if a promo comes up on the PFE122s again I'll buy one pair, try to flog them for a profit on ebay then buy 2 more pairs of earphones with the profit. 1 of them as my main pair and the other pair probably as a backup pair. I've thought it through if I do decide to go through with it.

Any opinions?

I was thinking of doing the same thing at one point =P it's certainly a viable option, although it's worth noting that these promotions typically get a lot of traction on hotUKdeals, which might make it a bit harder to sell straight off the bat, you might have to wait until the deal expires before you see any interest. Let me know how you get on!

Might get a chance to play with a pair of HD800s this weekend, that should be awesome (:
Reply 17
If I do manage to get a buyer in time I'll probably get at least one pair of Phonaks for myself but it occurred to me it might be worth ordering a different second pair for variety. I've had bad experiences with over-ear headphones in the past so I'm not keen on getting anymore especially since I lay down when listening quite often and it feels so much comfortable with earphones rather than headphones and I don't like the idea of going out in headphones. It seems fairly likely I'd want another pair of IEMs. But with the same kind of budget, unless I went for a much cheaper pair like Vsonic GR06s, there doesn't seem much point in getting a different second pair. So I'm not sure what to do. Sorry, if that doesn't make sense to you, made sense when I typed it.

Wow, let us know what they're like. Would be interested to know.
Reply 18
Currently using BeyerDynamics DT770 250Ohm. Perfect price for a great pair of headphones. Haven't used earphones in a long while.
Had the sony ex510s which were a solid pair of buds, now i have upgraded to the monster turbine pro gold, I dont see myself buying a new pair till my lifetime warranty runs out :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending