The Student Room Group

Aqa comp 4 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by iCiaran
3000... Maybe I should get started, been on about 500 since the start of the summer xD

And I said I'd finish this and my personal statement, gonna be a busy last week and a bit...

I was really happy thanks, how did you do?

I just sat down and forced myself to do both, it's a bit of a relief now I've got my teeth into it to be honest.

I got 166 UMS overall, which I was pretty happy with. Glad it went well for you too. :smile:
Reply 21
I haven't started any of the write-up yet (all we were told to do in the holidays was decide on a project). I have however done some design work in Visio so I can get a prototype made when I go back.
Reply 22
Does this project have to be for someone in real life or can it be an idea of your own? I've been trying to find someone but no one really seems to want to help and I don't want to go back to school without anything
Reply 23
Original post by Oliver D
Does this project have to be for someone in real life or can it be an idea of your own? I've been trying to find someone but no one really seems to want to help and I don't want to go back to school without anything

It can be an idea of your own, just has to have a target market as such...

Edit: Well that was quite possibly the most random neg I've ever had xD
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by scillage
I'm doing a virtual learning environment, kinda like moodle. Basically you can log in as a student to view your timetable and homework that teacher users can set you, and upload completed homeworks (files) to an ftp server that the teachers can then view when they log in. Teachers can also assign students to their classes, and write lesson plans and assign them to a certain lesson.

So overall, user validation, file transfer protocols, databases, i'm hoping it'll be good enough for an A* :smile:

umm that will be extremely hard but good luck
Reply 25
Original post by cm04
COMP4 is definitely hard work but, if you keep on top of it you will be fine. I would advise creating a project around a database as the coursework specification seems to be aimed towards these kind of projects more. By no means you can do other projects if you wish.

COMP3 specification has quite a bit of theory on databases also, which will always come up in the exam (Normalization, SQL statements) so you would be at an advantage if you did a project around a database as you will have more practice in this area.

Remember that the write up itself is very important as it contains more allocated marks than the actual program you create. You could have developed something amazing and get top marks in that section but if the write up is not good then you are not going to get a very good mark.

Good Luck !

I was wanting to do a revision software for a particular physics unit as my computing project but i read your post saying the marks lean more towards databases so what would you advise me to do? a software that gets the content from a website? or something :frown: help plz xD
Reply 26
Original post by a10
I was wanting to do a revision software for a particular physics unit as my computing project but i read your post saying the marks lean more towards databases so what would you advise me to do? a software that gets the content from a website? or something :frown: help plz xD

You could still do a revision program and perhaps store possible questions into a database. Then you could do a number of things to make it more complicated to get extra marks:
-Get your program to draw out graphs/diagrams for some questions
-Add different user accounts (stored in a database) so that they can keep track of their progress through the questions
-When dealing with user accounts, add encryption to passwords

Obviously there's load more things you could do, but this should give you an idea of how you can still get great marks for that project.
Reply 27
Original post by D-Box
You could still do a revision program and perhaps store possible questions into a database. Then you could do a number of things to make it more complicated to get extra marks:
-Get your program to draw out graphs/diagrams for some questions
-Add different user accounts (stored in a database) so that they can keep track of their progress through the questions
-When dealing with user accounts, add encryption to passwords

Obviously there's load more things you could do, but this should give you an idea of how you can still get great marks for that project.

Thank you i think i will do that :biggrin: and keep on top of my project though it will be hard to program but i got a book which my teacher recomended which teaches you most of the things to do with form based programming. We do vb.net
Reply 28
Original post by a10
Thank you i think i will do that :biggrin: and keep on top of my project though it will be hard to program but i got a book which my teacher recomended which teaches you most of the things to do with form based programming. We do vb.net

I also use vb.NET so if you get stuck with something then feel free to ask for help.
Reply 29
Original post by D-Box
I also use vb.NET so if you get stuck with something then feel free to ask for help.

i'll add you to my friends list :biggrin: thank you just out of curiosity what did you get for comp 4 and comp 3
Reply 30
Original post by a10
i'll add you to my friends list :biggrin: thank you just out of curiosity what did you get for comp 4 and comp 3

I haven't done them yet, I'm just about to start Year 13.
Reply 31
Original post by D-Box
I haven't done them yet, I'm just about to start Year 13.

ahhh okay! Have you pre-learned Vb.net or something? you sound confident about programing :P what did you get for the AS units? i got a D for programming :s-smilie:
Reply 32
Well yeah I'm definitely scared of Comp 4....hopefully my project idea works though. It's just a basic revision system where the students complete cross numbers puzzles ( kind of like a crossword but with mathematical clues). Will probably use databases somewhere.

I just wonder will we get taught this code or sent to learn independently? :s

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I5500
Reply 33
Original post by Sienne
Well yeah I'm definitely scared of Comp 4....hopefully my project idea works though. It's just a basic revision system where the students complete cross numbers puzzles ( kind of like a crossword but with mathematical clues). Will probably use databases somewhere.

I just wonder will we get taught this code or sent to learn independently? :s

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I5500

i was going to do revision software and my teacher said no people who do them usually fail :s-smilie: so he forced me to look for another real client :frown: FML i want to get a C at least overall in computing a B would be nice but that depends on how much work im going to put in :s-smilie:
Reply 34
An idea I had today was a timetable app for android, possibly could take times of lesson starts etc and tell you what lesson you should be in/have next, you could choose how many periods to have each day and choose whether to have a 1 week/2 week rota etc and obviously you would be able to input/edit your timetable...

I already have my project so if this appeals to anyone feel free to steal it xD
Reply 35
Is anyone else finding it difficult to find a real end user? Is it possible to just fake one? :s-smilie:
Reply 36
Original post by LogicGoat
Is anyone else finding it difficult to find a real end user? Is it possible to just fake one? :s-smilie:

I'm faking mine... My Teacher said as long as its convincing enough that the examiner can't tell if its fake or not. Have a few fake interviews and maybe a project diary where you show your project to your 'client' and he tells you what he wants added and then you add it. That sort of thing.
Reply 37
FML. Analysis deadline is today (unless our college have lied to us). My user isn't even real. I have about 3 hours to write some transcripts and complete about six sections I haven't done :| May as well just fail now.
Reply 38
Original post by a10
i was going to do revision software and my teacher said no people who do them usually fail :s-smilie: so he forced me to look for another real client :frown: FML i want to get a C at least overall in computing a B would be nice but that depends on how much work im going to put in :s-smilie:

Someone I know did revision software last year and got 72/80 for it! I suppose it depends on how its done.
Reply 39
Original post by sagederby
Someone I know did revision software last year and got 72/80 for it! I suppose it depends on how its done.

at my college the course is taught really bad! :s-smilie: I ended up doing mine for a driving school just handed in the analysis today.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending