The Student Room Group

Can someone please advise me?

Hello everyone,

I don't know if I am posting in the correct place, but I am stuck so thought I would just put my question somewhere people could see it.

I am currently in the Armed Forces working as a communications systems operator. I would like to train to become a P.E Teacher but I can't even begin to think about where to start.

I have GCSE grades A-C and an apprenticeship in Telecommunications, other than that I am starting fresh.

Can anyone please help me with what routes are available?
Reply 1
Original post by manning890
Hello everyone,

I don't know if I am posting in the correct place, but I am stuck so thought I would just put my question somewhere people could see it.

I am currently in the Armed Forces working as a communications systems operator. I would like to train to become a P.E Teacher but I can't even begin to think about where to start.

I have GCSE grades A-C and an apprenticeship in Telecommunications, other than that I am starting fresh.

Can anyone please help me with what routes are available?

Well if you don't have A-Levels, you'll need to either do them or complete an access to uni course. You just apply for a specific access to higher education PE course like this:

http://www.bmetc.ac.uk/courses-and-training/higher-education/1264

When you've completed that, you go on to study PE Teacher training at university and voila - you're a qualified PE Teacher! Good luck :smile: It'll take a few years, but if you're committed, it'll be worth it.
Reply 2
I have just found out today that my current quals I have in Telecomms are worth 2 A-levels so would this make any difference?
Reply 3
It depends on whether the degree you want to do asks for specific subjects. Presumably you have gained some experience P.E. in the forces. But there is normally some element of physiology, psychology and science involved.

Since you will be applying as a mature student, you would be best to contact the universities and explain your situation. They may suggest an Access course or a specific A level to help prepare you to start or bring you up to the UCAS points level. But bear in mind they may just give you the standard entry requirements.

But sometimes, you are better off to apply and let the university consider your application formal. They may then ask you to interview to ensure you are suitable for the course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending