The Student Room Group

I am finding it hard to get an apprenticeship.

Scroll to see replies

You bother because you want to do well and go on to do amazing things! :smile:

Like you say, you might just be unfortunate. Try sending your CV and details directly to some learning providers. If you visit the Apprentices.gov site, have a quick search for some of the jobs you may have already applied for and I'm sure that some of them will be run by bigger organisations. If you send your details direct to them, you're getting your foot in the door and putting yourself one step ahead of the game.

Remember, never ever tell an employer how much of a struggle you've had and how many positions you've applied for. Make them feel like you're their first and only opportunity. Tweak your CV and statement to even include their name and a bit about them.

Try phoning a few places, too. They're more likely to give you a yes/no/maybe than an email because it adds that personal touch :smile:
Reply 41
I have been to a few screenings so far all are pointless tbh.I was just thinking will employers pick a under 18 or will they pay for someone they like.Having looked the employer costs are around 1000 it is a lot of money but since they are paying you a low wage really they should be prepared to fund the cost what would be around £20 a week.
Reply 42
This is nothing, I have 58 rejected applications on the apprenticeship website plus many more non-apprenticeship.gov applications, with around a dozen unsuccessful interviews this year. I feel my age is (22) is perhaps my drawback as most other interviewees are around the 16-18 mark, with full government funding makes a more lucrative candidate.

Untitled.jpg
Reply 43
Original post by ShishaPipe
This is nothing, I have 58 rejected applications on the apprenticeship website plus many more non-apprenticeship.gov applications, with around a dozen unsuccessful interviews this year. I feel my age is (22) is perhaps my drawback as most other interviewees are around the 16-18 mark, with full government funding makes a more lucrative candidate.

Untitled.jpg

:eek: no wonder people say some are money making scams.I know someone who was 17 who got one within a week.I thought the reason why the wage was so low was encase they would have to pay for the funding.
Reply 44
Original post by inksplodge
I think I applied for 7 in total, I only got an interview for one (which I got).

will age go against you in an interview? it can't cost that much to get an NVQ ??
Original post by sassy123
will age go against you in an interview? it can't cost that much to get an NVQ ??

My employer had to pay a grand towards mine, so I'm not sure.
Reply 46
Original post by inksplodge
My employer had to pay a grand towards mine, so I'm not sure.

Employers are that keen to save just to save £1000 if they are paying you £5200 a year an extra £1000 is not that much and they would still be saving a lot of money.

I would rather have a good quality apprentice even if i had to pay a bit extra for them.
I applied for an apprenticeship written a good application and got rejected to find a week later it has been put back up :eek:
Its unfair the blatant ageism that goes on:frown:
Original post by sassy123
Employers are that keen to save just to save £1000 if they are paying you £5200 a year an extra £1000 is not that much and they would still be saving a lot of money.

I would rather have a good quality apprentice even if i had to pay a bit extra for them.
I applied for an apprenticeship written a good application and got rejected to find a week later it has been put back up :eek:
Its unfair the blatant ageism that goes on:frown:

Yup - after all, if you're 16-18 they don't have to pay you minimum awge until you're 19 or over and in your 2nd year... it's just a case of cheap labour at the moment. I really think the retail apprenticeships should be banned ...
Reply 48
ive been looking for apprenticeships since june- and so far no luck. ive applied to all the local ones within a 15mile radius and ive been rejected by all. like OP im an alevel student, so im more than qualified for an apprenticeship, but i dont know why im being rejected- even before an interview!! the most recent one i applied to rejected me the next day and i know its not because of too many applicants, because their advert was still online a week later. you cant really contact them to find out wy you were rejected because the adverts linked to the colleges providers mostly and they dont really care about your applications.
i think they take one look at your age on the application and just dismiss all the over 19s straight away. like most other people have posted, the companies just do not want to pay for the applicants tuition if they dont have to. the pay is already poor as it is- arent the over 19s more likey to be sure that they want to do the job anyway?? i also think that the government shouldnt restrict the fund for over 19s as it would just deter companies from hiring us.
what makes it even worse are 'the ones in between'. those who are not young students 16-18 (that are 'allowed' to have poorer qualifications) and are also not more experienced 25yr olds, but are in fact alevel students who dont have good enough a levels for the big four apprenticeships and are 'too old' for local companies- it makes it even more difficult to find a placement! its a joke.
any luck with placements OP?
Yeah, they're difficult to come by, and some Apprenticeship Programs are just a waste. I mean, Retail isn't really an Apprenticeship, it's just slavery. Working in Business, IT or Engineering however, are fantastic ones. So there are definitely good ones out there. I'm currently a L2 Business Apprentice at the moment for my local College, and in terms of age, I turned 19 literally one day after I started, so I was in luck there. I believe Apprenticeships are for 16-24 year olds, so you can still get it at 19.

I'm trying to see if I can get kept on for L3 at the moment, and I'm also an A-level student (well, BTEC in Computing, ICT and Business). If I can't get onto L3, it's University for me, if I can, then it's more experience and qualifications, then University.

Good luck to you.
Reply 50
I'm currently on an apprenticeship in IT for my local council.

I'm 17 (18 in 3 weeks), and i've been in the apprenticeship for 6 months now.

I got it after quitting my first year of college with just 8 weeks left, stupid decision i know.. the money is shocking for the amount of work and hours you're putting in each day, be aware.
Original post by Hunchey
I'm currently on an apprenticeship in IT for my local council.

I'm 17 (18 in 3 weeks), and i've been in the apprenticeship for 6 months now.

I got it after quitting my first year of college with just 8 weeks left, stupid decision i know.. the money is shocking for the amount of work and hours you're putting in each day, be aware.

Indeed, but you need the experience to get yourself into the employment world. Without experience, you won't really be able to apply for many jobs, if any, even with qualifications. Which is why you see even people with degree's signing onto the dole after graduating and trying to find employment.

With a few years experience and multiple qualifications, this will see you through the tough times we're in and to maximize your chances for employment, and good employment.

Unless you have a specific career in mind that's good, and isn't over-subscribed, and requires a degree of course, then you should choose University. However, at the mean time, if you're still young, and have your College A-levels/BTECs, then I'd advise you to seek out an Apprenticeship for a few years as you can always go to University afterwards.
Reply 52
Original post by Himynameskiefer
Indeed, but you need the experience to get yourself into the employment world. Without experience, you won't really be able to apply for many jobs, if any, even with qualifications. Which is why you see even people with degree's signing onto the dole after graduating and trying to find employment.

With a few years experience and multiple qualifications, this will see you through the tough times we're in and to maximize your chances for employment, and good employment.

Unless you have a specific career in mind that's good, and isn't over-subscribed, and requires a degree of course, then you should choose University. However, at the mean time, if you're still young, and have your College A-levels/BTECs, then I'd advise you to seek out an Apprenticeship for a few years as you can always go to University afterwards.

Sad thing is mate, i left college 8 weeks before the first year of the course ended, so i left with zero qualifications.

My GCSE's were average, so i'm literally stuck in this apprenticeship now or else i'm going to be jobless for the next 10 years due to my lack of experience..

Stuck in a job i don't want to do because my country offers me no other choice, GOD BLESS ENGLAND!
Original post by Hunchey
Sad thing is mate, i left college 8 weeks before the first year of the course ended, so i left with zero qualifications.

My GCSE's were average, so i'm literally stuck in this apprenticeship now or else i'm going to be jobless for the next 10 years due to my lack of experience..

Stuck in a job i don't want to do because my country offers me no other choice, GOD BLESS ENGLAND!

Ah, that's no good man, should have stuck College out! Having Level 3 opens so many more doors. You could always return to College if you hate your Apprenticeship so much, get A-levels/BTEC, then go to University or something? I just like having that option there for me to study for 3-4 years.

Does your Apprenticeship not go to Level 3 NVQ? Sometimes you can get BTECS with Level Three Apprenticeships.
Reply 54
Original post by Patto124
Carillion are pretty good at taking people on :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

yea
Reply 55
I feel the same about the cheap labour point you made and the pay. I have been looking for a apprenticeship for about 1 month now and only 1 interview which did not go too well.
Reply 56
I'll be honest, 4 isn't much of a rejection. Just keep applying, apply for everything and apply again next time. You've got nothing to lose.

Don't get down about rejection either, it may be for a number of reasons even down to the person who's looking at the application so it's not your fault. :-)
Reply 57
Original post by Limon95
I feel the same about the cheap labour point you made and the pay. I have been looking for a apprenticeship for about 1 month now and only 1 interview which did not go too well.

Why, what happened in the interview?
Reply 58
Hi, I have applied for 5-6 and had one telephone interview which didn't go well at all because i wasn't prepared.. I really want to get one, but not too sure because I'm 21 and my english is good but not perfect. Fingers crossed for all of us!
A lot of these things depend on experience, so maybe go into a traineeship for what you want to do first and then you're more likely to get an interview? Also when filling in the application give as muhpch detail as you can in the last few questions (which are like interests and stuff) Also don't just apply to apprenticeships because they're close by to you, apply to ones in the job sector you want to do. It does take a while sometimes for ones in your local area which you want.
Plus it's worth emailing or calling the apprenticeship company it's through. I applied to one last month and it had a closing date of September, but it disappeared off the site last week (which is very normal for apprenticeship vacancies to be removed before closing date so don't think "I can apply later") and it had said I was unsucessful. I emailed them to ask why and they phoned me to say I hadn't been unsucessful they think it was just a fault from them taking it off the site early.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending