The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I think it comes down to what subjects your doing,

For instance this year I'm doing 5 Alevels, but find myself with alot of free time on my hands, this is because of some of my subjects though:
- General Studies: im exempt from these lessons (due to AS results)
- History: 2 units are coursework, thus I only have one exam
- Economics: only 1 summer exam with no pressure (already have a A)
Thus really I only have 2 A2 levels which I need to attend and revise for.

I know however that without this fortunate situation, 4 A2s would definitely be a strain, and certainly arent a sure sign you'll get into your unis (moi = rejected from Cambridge, Durham & Bristol)!
I have some close friends who went to uni with only 3 A levels, all A's, including oxford, warwick etc and they got 1st's. Just because you do 4 it doesnt mean you have more potential.
At the end of the day, regardless of whether it would enhance your application or not, getting 4As can never harm your application. I think that providing that you can get high grades, the more A levels you do the better, but if it makes your social life/other grades/UMS marks/wider reading/work experience etc suffer then you'd have to consider the pros and cons more carefully.
Reply 23
I'm doing 4 A2s.. and I don't find its too much work.. its basically the same amount of work as during AS (which isn't much!). 6 AS's though is pure stupitity.. and will ruin your grades (I failed!).
Reply 24
I too am doing 4 A2s, and I picked up an AS this year too (although it doesn't really count - we don't need to do any work for it :smile:). It's not too much work, although for me it leaves little time to get a job to earn some cash. I have a 23 hour week (lessons) and it takes an hour to drive to college and back each day :frown:

-Chris
Reply 25
Oooooh I still am unsure what to do :frown:
NickiM
Oooooh I still am unsure what to do :frown:

Well, you don't need to decide yet anyway. Wait until you get your AS results and then maybe continue with all 4 to start with to see how it goes.
Reply 27
of course its not necessary to do 4 a2s. i got into medicine at oxford at balliol with 3 a2s. they prefer u to have AEA rather than extra a2. what matters most is how intelligent u are, how well u think logically etc
Reply 28
NickiM
I went to an Oxbridge conference yesterday and really liked the sound of the Cambridge History course. Anyway, it got me thinking about what I should do at A2. I currently do 5 (including General Studies which I'll definitely drop), but that leaves me with History, Sociology, Music and English Lit. I will definitely keep History and Music, but I don't know whether to carry on the other two as well. Whilst I really like Sociology and can do it, will it it suffer as it is apparently not well respected? I am predicted an A for English Lit, but don't feel too confident dong it...although it would be good if I did a History degree. I am not just looking at Oxbridge by the way, and all my subjects I am equally good at.
Thanks!

English, although not a requirement for A2, is a very good alevel to have if u want to study history. Bear in mind, many applicants in UK offer A-Level english, and most oxbridge applicants are predicted As.
Reply 29
I'm gonna carry the case for doing 4! To be honest, it is a lot of work, but i have found that people in my school that do three are as stressed if not more than me, when you drop down to three you say your going to use the time to improve your 3, but you end up bumming around. If you don't believe me, one of my best friends dropped and last year he was a workaholic, and this year he just CBA!
Also, 4 a-levels offers you insurance. I am currently doing 4 and am on A's (all above 260 ) for all of them, and i ahev to satisfy a BBB/ABC offer, so there is a lot of scope for error. With a bit of luck, i could feasibly get ACCC and get into uni (with two C's equaling a B, altho it would take sum pleasing's and thank you's). There was a case with a guy last year for law at Nottingham, he needed AAB and got ABBB and got in as the two B's equalled an A. It can save you if one a-level slips.
Be aware though, some universities (especially Oxbridge) can give you offers based on four A levels (eg. AAAA), rather than 3, if you do 4 subjects.
I did five full A-levels at my own college (English Lit, History, Psychology, Fine Art and General Studies). :thrasher: A lot of hard work, but I got good grades overall (ABBCD), and they'll obviously look great on my CV, as they should give employers the idea I'm good at multi-tasking. The D I got on Fine Art, a subject I wasn't really too arsed about anyway.
I'm also doing 4 A2's... yes, there is a lot of work, but if you put in the time then you'll be able to do it. It seems that you're capable, so there's no reason to drop one unless you feel your other subjects will suffer.
Reply 33
Well I do 4 (5 if you include GS, which I don't) and it's never been much of a problem to be honest.
If I'm honest, I've found doing 4 A2s no different that 4 ASs except there's slightly less pressure cause half of its out of the way. Unless you were doing like all sciences or four languages or something *if thats possible* then 4 A2s shouldn't be a problem
I know a crazy 1st year in my college who does 5 AS levels (German, Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics)+ 2 A2s (French and Gen Studies cause she's already got French AS from school but then no offence to her she does nothing but study really, so I guess she can deal with all that,
Reply 35
v def not needed for oxbridge....when i interviewed at oxford i only met one person doing 5 a levels and everyone else did 3, but id been told i had to do 4 to stand a chance!! so thats compleetlynot true!!
its fairly hard to keep up with it all, but similarly i wouldnt use my time for my fourth subject cinstructively so i might as well be doing it, i dont think it detracts from my other subjects.
although 2 of my offers were made on 4 alevels!!!
Reply 36
I'd love to do four full A levels but really don't think I'd have the will power to put the effort in, for me college hasn't been all it was cracked up to be. Guess that's different from everyone as it could just be the college I picked to study at or that I'm not the right sort of learner to be any good at college. LOL

Each to their own.
Reply 37
I still don't really know what to do!

Latest