The Student Room Group

What have you bought/are you planning to buy for uni?

Scroll to see replies

A small update from when I last posted and had bugger all :P

I now have a kettle for my room (my mum actually bought this on her own accord and her argument was that it's nice to make tea when you wake up and for pot noodles) xD, 2 hand towels, a cute cutlery set, a whole dinner set for £8 and it's red :biggrin:, some glasses. I also ordered some t-shirts and a pair of jeans. Still lot's to get but I'm glad we've made a start

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/

It's worth having a look on this site or visiting one of their stores, they have some useful things. :smile:
Reply 81
Do we actually need to but stuff like kettles and toaster...? Dont people share the uni one in the kitchen
Reply 82
where can i get really cheap bedding, towel set and bath set? i really didnt think these thing were that expensive but maybe i'm looking in the wrong places?
Original post by ReTurd
Do we actually need to but stuff like kettles and toaster...? Dont people share the uni one in the kitchen

I think it depends on the accommodation tbh.
Some of my accommodation options supply those things but some don't.
Original post by damilola
where can i get really cheap bedding, towel set and bath set? i really didnt think these thing were that expensive but maybe i'm looking in the wrong places?

ARGOS :smile:
Reply 85
Basically clothes and a few little things here and there (doorstop etc.). I'm travelling from Belgium so it'll all have to fit in my 2 suitcases, backpack and maybe a handbag. God, I'm going to look like a pack mule... :rolleyes:
The rest I'll probably buy there. What're some good (preferably cheap) stores?
Reply 86
Original post by shevi
Basically clothes and a few little things here and there (doorstop etc.). I'm travelling from Belgium so it'll all have to fit in my 2 suitcases, backpack and maybe a handbag. God, I'm going to look like a pack mule... :rolleyes:
The rest I'll probably buy there. What're some good (preferably cheap) stores?

Check our morrisons, matalan, primark, asda, ikea and tesco for cheap food/homeware..You can pick up some great bargains! :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 87
So far I have:

Hangers from the Poundshop
2 Bath Towels from Primark
A set of Teatowels from Primark
A set of Facecloths from Primark
A Rubber Spatula for making cakes :P
A Wooden spoon set
Some Washing Up Liquid
Reply 89
I hadn't bought anything until today. I got these from the clearance on Argos: stoneware kitchen set (4 plates, 4 side dishes, 4 bowls) £6.99 http://bit.ly/QxTKh2 and cutlery set (16) £2.99 http://bit.ly/QBukw6

Probably could've got the cutlery even cheaper elsewhere, but I wanted colourful ones :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 90
Original post by megvond18
Check our morrisons, matalan, primark, asda, ikea and tesco for cheap food/homeware..You can pick up some great bargains! :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Thanks for the tip! :smile:
Reply 91
Im buying nothing at all until i get the results, if i meet the offer of course.
Original post by Jakeeyy
Im buying nothing at all until i get the results, if i meet the offer of course.

I think that's most of our plans for those of us with conditionals - shops are going to be packed after results day :tongue:
Reply 93
Original post by InkingTheSky
I think that's most of our plans for those of us with conditionals - shops are going to be packed after results day :tongue:

It will be exciting if i do end up buying things. No offence to anyone but i have no idea why people are buying things now with conditional offers, got to meet them first :P
Original post by Jakeeyy
It will be exciting if i do end up buying things. No offence to anyone but i have no idea why people are buying things now with conditional offers, got to meet them first :P

I guess they're planning on selling them on if they don't meet their conditions or keeping them for when they move out of parents' house...? :dontknow:

I think I would be too gutted having to look at the things I'd bought and knowing that I had no use for them!
Reply 95
I guess they're planning on selling them on if they don't meet their conditions or keeping them for when they move out of parents' house...? :dontknow:

I think I would be too gutted having to look at the things I'd bought and knowing that I had no use for them!

I don't think i could bear the pain of departing with my plates i bought for Uni haha.

Not that i have bought any:sexface:
Original post by Jakeeyy
I don't think i could bear the pain of departing with my plates i bought for Uni haha.

Not that i have bought any:sexface:

Smart man :tongue:

I found plates I really like on Argos... they're getting bought the second I get a definite place somewhere. And don't get me started on stationary :colondollar:
Reply 97
I recommend you don't buy expensive dinner sets/kitchen ware cause I can 100% guarantee bits will go missing. I bought a lovely plate set from sainsburys when I first went to uni and at least 2 of the big plates, 1 mini plate and 2 bowls went missing and never returned along with most of my large tumbler glasses and cutlery (and a few other things I don't remember). I don't really mind as I just got cheap replacements for when I moved into my student house but looking back I spent far too much money when I moved into the halls. Obviously you don't want uber cheap crappy stuff when it comes to towels/bedding/etc but really for halls don't spend a fortune they'll likely get ruined :smile: Most people always over prepare for the halls and find they've bought far too much stuff.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 98
Smart man :tongue:

I found plates I really like on Argos... they're getting bought the second I get a definite place somewhere. And don't get me started on stationary :colondollar:

No doubt i will have a long list of things to buy, that i will buy the day before i leave haha.
Original post by Jakeeyy
No doubt i will have a long list of things to buy, that i will buy the day before i leave haha.

I've started making a list of things I'll need and links to cheap places to get them...

That way if anyone offers to get me stuff (which is likely) I can point them in the direction of my list. But if not then I know how to get everything for minimal cost :smile:

But I'll be damned if I can find a nice, durable bag which will fit my laptop and a binder or 2 for any kind of low price.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending