The Student Room Group

What have you bought/are you planning to buy for uni?

Hey guys ive decided to start my uni shopping as there is only 4 weeks left till results day so i should be able to return everything if i dont get into uni :frown: as most shops allow you upto 28 days to return stuff.

So just wondering what have you bought or are you planning to buy?
Has anyone found any good deals on kitchen utensils or maybe found some awesome (+cheap :tongue:)stuff to decorate their room with?

Ive been looking for a nice black duvet cover as i decided i want to decorate my room in purple and black but havent found anything i like yet.
Is anyone else already planning on how they want to design their room?

I found this cutlery set for on £3:
http://homeshopping.24studio.co.uk/christmas-book/modern-living/kitchen/electricals/3/16piece-cutlery-set-in-chrome-rack/10?wmpsorigin=search
I will be getting my plates and glasses from ikea as they do nice ones that are really cheap.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I wanna get some red fairy lights, postcards from my travels to stick on my wall and one of those scented stick things! Not sure what colours I'm going for yet though :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by lara_ox
Hey guys ive decided to start my uni shopping as there is only 4 weeks left till results day so i should be able to return everything if i dont get into uni :frown: as most shops allow you upto 28 days to return stuff.

So just wondering what have you bought or are you planning to buy?
Has anyone found any good deals on kitchen utensils or maybe found some awesome (+cheap :tongue:)stuff to decorate their room with?

Ive been looking for a nice black duvet cover as i decided i want to decorate my room in purple and black but havent found anything i like yet.
Is anyone else already planning on how they want to design their room?

I found this cutlery set for on £3:
http://homeshopping.24studio.co.uk/christmas-book/modern-living/kitchen/electricals/3/16piece-cutlery-set-in-chrome-rack/10?wmpsorigin=search
I will be getting my plates and glasses from ikea as they do nice ones that are really cheap.

Loving the cutlery set!

I think I'll do my shopping once I get my results...can't jinx it!
Reply 3
Have you tried charity shops? I used to work in one and I found out that most of the stuff they get is left over stock from places like John Lewis, etc and I found a stack of new, unused cutlery at the one I was working at for only £1.50.

Also, Poundland do cute little Toy Story mugs and cutlery, so you might get a really good deal there.
A lot of Jägermeister, that's about it

This was posted from The Student Roo
Reply 5
Original post by RacheyTV
Loving the cutlery set!

I think I'll do my shopping once I get my results...can't jinx it!

Lol thats how i feel but i just cant help myself :colondollar: im not confident at all that ive even got a place..Its going to be heartbreaking when i have to return everything :cry2:
Reply 6
Gonna hit the 99p store like its never been hit before, basically.
I've bought a couple of cute cushions and bookends from Primark for my room, I'll take them with me to uni so I feel at home!

Poundland have some cheap kitchenware, seen a grater (one of the ones with an attached box underneath to catch the gratings), plus a pack of 3 kitchen scissors etc.

Also seen some stuff in TK MAXX, that's good quality so will last a little longer! Bought a pop up basin - so I can use the sink in my room for washing dishes if the kitchen sink is too dirty. The kitchen sink at the open day was not a pretty sight...

Planning to go on an IKEA spree too!
Reply 8
I've started picking up bits and bobs whenever I see them on offer from tesco. Just daft stuff like toothpaste and shampoo when they're on BOGOF. Hopefully there'll be a sale on kitchen stuff soon, my old crockery got lost in my last move and my pans/wok are getting pretty old and nasty.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
A lot of clothes that I probably don't need :biggrin:
I'm catered and not allowed to decorate much, so...nothing yet :tongue:
Will probably take a few boxes of Grey Goose and Cristal.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Bare condoms yano blud, man is gonna be off the leash. innit
Reply 14
An iPad (for lecture slides :wink: )
Jeans and underwear. That's it. :cool:
I've been kitting out my second year house . . . basically it's come down to getting a double duvet (I know have a double bed :awesome:) and such essential items as a giant cupcake mould and new cushions!
Reply 17
websites like snapfish and photobox do deals on photos like ''50 free prints with your first upload" and then you only have to pay 99p for postage so i got well over a hundred photos for under a fiver and stuck them all over my room last year :smile: give you something to do on move in day while other people are un-packing and you can have your door open while doing it too so it works well :smile:

also, definitely get a door stop, best thing that anyone suggested to me to get!!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/What_To_Take_To_University really helped me last year
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
So far I've bought an over the door shoe storage thing that holds all my shoes except boots and some alcohol from the duty-free when I went on holiday. I'm waiting until after results day to buy everything else as I don't want it taking up loads of space for longer than necessary, whereas the shoe thing has saved me space and the alcohol saved me money in duty-free.
Reply 19
Try not to get cutlery with plastic handles... trust me, they rust and go all ugly. Stick to plain stainless steel - charity shops are the way forward!

Quick Reply

Latest