What date are you moving down?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
21 between 10-11 staying in pantycelyn halls

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Reply 41
My course starts on the 24th...does this mean I'll have lectures for the freshers week then? :s
Original post by Veren110
My course starts on the 24th...does this mean I'll have lectures for the freshers week then? :s

Its a freshers weekend not a freshers week, freshers weekend is the 22nd and 23rd september! My course, like yours and many others starts on the 24th and that week you just register in your course and have a few induction lectures, not much happenes that week as they give you time to get to know your way around etc :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by Ddraig Goch
Its a freshers weekend not a freshers week, freshers weekend is the 22nd and 23rd september! My course, like yours and many others starts on the 24th and that week you just register in your course and have a few induction lectures, not much happenes that week as they give you time to get to know your way around etc :smile:

Lol don't panic them all or we'll have a thousand angry freshers thinking they don't have a full week of getting smashed :biggrin: I wouldn't say its a weekend, town will be hammered every night and the 'freshers' events are spread throughout the entire week. Yes theres a few intro lectures, but you are looking at say 3 hours worth across the whole week.
Reply 44
Original post by JordE
Lol don't panic them all or we'll have a thousand angry freshers thinking they don't have a full week of getting smashed :biggrin: I wouldn't say its a weekend, town will be hammered every night and the 'freshers' events are spread throughout the entire week. Yes theres a few intro lectures, but you are looking at say 3 hours worth across the whole week.

last year when i started i had the friday,saturday,sunday,monday,tuesday,wednesday with no lectures. thursday was a 1 hour lecture and friday was an hour test. then it was the weekend again :smile: so it kinda is a week.... not like the first few lectures are important.
Reply 45
Original post by JordE

Haha, even with lectures, I'm sure there'll be plenty of time to have fun and get to know people.

Anyone not know which accommodation they have yet? I only got in yesterday (in clearing) and listening to everyone talking about moving in is freaking me out, what with me having no idea where I'll be. Hope the accommodation people get in touch soon.

Man alive, I'm nervous, aha.
Reply 46
Original post by Veren110
Haha, even with lectures, I'm sure there'll be plenty of time to have fun and get to know people.

Anyone not know which accommodation they have yet? I only got in yesterday (in clearing) and listening to everyone talking about moving in is freaking me out, what with me having no idea where I'll be. Hope the accommodation people get in touch soon.

Man alive, I'm nervous, aha.

It will be a week or so before you find out which accommodation you have been allocated. That said, I could be completely wrong because I hear they have changed the system of applying this year.
Reply 47
Not about the moving in town date, but the moving in town. How much do the train tickets form London to Aber cost when I buy them directly from the station when I get there? We might be a fany e-country, but Estonian banks don't put the seurity code on their debit cards so I won't be able to use the ticket machines in the stations to collect my tickets.
I will be arriving in Gatwick at 12.45 on the Friday so I think I'll be in Euston around two hours later, but I can't be sure wether I'll be there before the peak or not. (The worst part about it all is that I'll arrive in Aber when everyone has already gone out...)
Original post by Elevant
Not about the moving in town date, but the moving in town. How much do the train tickets form London to Aber cost when I buy them directly from the station when I get there? We might be a fany e-country, but Estonian banks don't put the seurity code on their debit cards so I won't be able to use the ticket machines in the stations to collect my tickets.
I will be arriving in Gatwick at 12.45 on the Friday so I think I'll be in Euston around two hours later, but I can't be sure wether I'll be there before the peak or not. (The worst part about it all is that I'll arrive in Aber when everyone has already gone out...)

Train tickets bought on the day of travel at the station are very very very expensive for the distance you are wanting to travel.

Instead of being around £40 probably if bought now you'll end up paying £100+ very very easily.

Is it that your card isn't being accepted on the website or that you think it wouldn't work at the machine to get your tickets?

You may be able to get tickets delivered to your home address. The machines do not require any card pins/passwords though, they only require you to put your card in, then type in your booking reference.

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 49
Original post by Elevant
(The worst part about it all is that I'll arrive in Aber when everyone has already gone out...)

I know alot of people move in on the Friday, but the real first night of freshers week is always the Saturday anyway so you won't be missing much. The Friday evening always seems a bit subdued as a fair few people won't have arrived.
Reply 50
Original post by The Optimistic Ram
Train tickets bought on the day of travel at the station are very very very expensive for the distance you are wanting to travel.

Instead of being around £40 probably if bought now you'll end up paying £100+ very very easily.

Is it that your card isn't being accepted on the website or that you think it wouldn't work at the machine to get your tickets?

You may be able to get tickets delivered to your home address. The machines do not require any card pins/passwords though, they only require you to put your card in, then type in your booking reference.

I won't be able to purchase the tickets with my own card, cos I oly have debits without the required security code for paying. I would have to use my parents card...
I guess the £7.50 is not a lot to pay for the delivery.

Thank you for your help.
Reply 51
Original post by JordE
I know alot of people move in on the Friday, but the real first night of freshers week is always the Saturday anyway so you won't be missing much. The Friday evening always seems a bit subdued as a fair few people won't have arrived.

I mean my flatmates, who have arrived on Friday before me, will be out on town by the time I get there.
I wonder if anyone else is taking the next to last train from Birmingham... I'll ask them on facebook.
Original post by Elevant
I won't be able to purchase the tickets with my own card, cos I oly have debits without the required security code for paying. I would have to use my parents card...
I guess the £7.50 is not a lot to pay for the delivery.

Thank you for your help.

If the 'extra' is only £7.50 definitely do that as you'd be paying a lot lot lot lot lot lot lot LOT more than that buying your tickets on the day at the station. Then during your time over here always purchase your tickets in advance on the internet as you'll always save a considerable amount. (Arriva Wales website so no paying booking fees or anything else like on the Trainline) Even if you buy the night before it will still be cheaper, not the same level of discount as a few weeks in advance but still something.

If your planning on travelling on the train more than a couple of times it's worth buying a 16-25 railcard. They cost £28 but save 1/3 off all train fares, so obviously after a few journeys they pay for themselves and then some... :smile:

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 53
If the 'extra' is only £7.50 definitely do that as you'd be paying a lot lot lot lot lot lot lot LOT more than that buying your tickets on the day at the station. Then during your time over here always purchase your tickets in advance on the internet as you'll always save a considerable amount. (Arriva Wales website so no paying booking fees or anything else like on the Trainline) Even if you buy the night before it will still be cheaper, not the same level of discount as a few weeks in advance but still something.

If your planning on travelling on the train more than a couple of times it's worth buying a 16-25 railcard. They cost £28 but save 1/3 off all train fares, so obviously after a few journeys they pay for themselves and then some... :smile:

I shall buy the tickets now then. I only hope that 2,5 hours will be enough to get from Gatwick to euston :smile:
Reply 54
21st to PJM
Original post by Elevant
I shall buy the tickets now then. I only hope that 2,5 hours will be enough to get from Gatwick to euston :smile:

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I've been in London for the last few days.

2 and a half hours us plenty of time to get to Euston from Gatwick.

There is a dedicated 'Gatwick Express' that goes to Victoria then you can get a tube to Euston. But thi is expensive and with the changes and stuff quite messy with luggage.

A better option is to get a train to St Pancras then walk 5/10 minutes to Euston which is just down the road. This is cheaper and a better option for you as you'll be on one train without changing, the walk is straight forward aswell. This will take about 40/50 minutes.

Reply 56
The first day we can stay at our accom is the 21st?
Reply 57
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I've been in London for the last few days.

2 and a half hours us plenty of time to get to Euston from Gatwick.

There is a dedicated 'Gatwick Express' that goes to Victoria then you can get a tube to Euston. But thi is expensive and with the changes and stuff quite messy with luggage.

A better option is to get a train to St Pancras then walk 5/10 minutes to Euston which is just down the road. This is cheaper and a better option for you as you'll be on one train without changing, the walk is straight forward aswell. This will take about 40/50 minutes.

Thanks again. I am taking the train to St Pancras and then going to walk to Euston. Friday noon does not seem like the busiest hour in an airport and I have always been quick out of airports, too. But I am still having a hard time deciding wether to take the earlyer train or the next one with an extra hour of waiting/time and £4 (which is not much) and be safe, but starve for the rest of the day :biggrin:.
I'm gonna look at the live arrivals on friday and see how many they have at the time I arrive and see wether I could make it through the airport in 45 minutes :biggrin:
I'm moving down on the 22nd. I'm a little annoyed that I'm missing the BBQ, that the university have planned on the 21st, but meh.
Original post by Aek-94
I'm moving down on the 22nd. I'm a little annoyed that I'm missing the BBQ, that the university have planned on the 21st, but meh.

Isn't it on the Saturday (22nd)? I think so
http://www.aber.ac.uk/en/applicants/post-results/freshers/events/day-by-day/september-24/

Quick Reply

Latest