The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

What date are you moving down?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AndromedaLight
I do. I got PJM. Which is forever away from the School of Art. But I'm honestly just going to be stoked to be there.

It's not really - 20 minutes by foot down the bottom of the hill, 25/30 if going up. I'm going to be in PJM also, but I'm going into 2nd year. So I will be MOVING BACK to Aber on September 21st which is 4 weeks today :biggrin: ! Can't wait for Freshers. It will bring back some awesome memories of 2011 Freshers and make new ones at the same time!

I'm moving from Bournemouth which means an early start for me that day and a 7 hour journey - yay!
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk
It's not really - 20 minutes by foot down the bottom of the hill, 25/30 if going up. I'm going to be in PJM also, but I'm going into 2nd year. So I will be MOVING BACK to Aber on September 21st which is 4 weeks today :biggrin: ! Can't wait for Freshers. It will bring back some awesome memories of 2011 Freshers and make new ones at the same time!

I'm moving from Bournemouth which means an early start for me that day and a 7 hour journey - yay!

7 hours? Ouch. :s-smilie:

I thought my journey was bad at just over three hours. :tongue:

Oh yeah. :K:

My personalised diary of events thing on the Aber website, says this:

Aber Personalised Diary of Events
Fri 21st 03:00pm-06:00pm and 1:00 - 4:00pm Saturday - BBQ - Venue tbc
Original post by Aek-94
7 hours? Ouch. :s-smilie:

I thought my journey was bad at just over three hours. :tongue:

Five hours in a car via Bristol/Cardiff with no breaks, but I'm getting the train up as I have so much stuff you wouldn't be able to fit me in the car lol!

My journey is 50 minutes to Southampton, 20 minute break, 2 hours 25 minutes to Birmingham International, 35 minute break, 3 hours 15 minutes to Aber. (Birmingham to Aber is the only train line open)

For those of you travelling by train at Christmas these are the ONLY rail stops which you can get directly to Aber (and get your connections from)

Birmingham International (Terminus) departs at 7 minutes past the hour once every two hours between 06:07am and 08:07pm. There is no special Saturday/Sunday service. These are the same times seven days a week.
Birmingham New Street (5 minute break at station as a major hub)
Smethwick Galton Bridge
Wolverhampton
Telford Central
Wellington
Shrewsbury (8-12 minutes break at station as a major hub. Upon departure the train will change direction, i.e. if you were sat at the back, you are now at the front. Shrewsbury is the last stop before the border crossing into Wales)
Welshpool
Newtown
Caersws
Machynlleth
Dovey Junction (where the train will divide into 2 different 2 carriage trains. The front continues to Aberystwyth, whereas the other goes onto Barmouth and Phweli. Make sure you are in the right part of the train upon departure - makes life a hell of a lot easier)
Borth
Aberystwyth (the trains are scheduled to arrive at twenty five past the hour, three hours after departing Birmingham. However, most services I have been on arrive a bit earlier than that, usually at quarter past or at a push twenty past.)

The last train of the day is 20 minutes slower, as the interval at Shrewsbury is 24 minutes FOR THIS SERVICE ONLY. There is also a 7 minute wait at Machynlleth on this service.

As for leaving Aberystwyth, the first train of the day is at 05:14 and is the longest service of the day. Trains between Aberystwyth and Birmingham afterwards depart at half past the hour, once every two hours between 7.30am and 7.30pm. There are 9.35pm and 11.53pm services, but those services go no further than Machynlleth.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 64
I'll be coming later in the day on September 21st. I'm taking the shuttle from Birmingham International! Super excited.

Quick Reply

Latest