The Student Room Group

QUB medicine 2013 applications

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Allego
That's fine, more places for the rest of us. :colondollar:

:tongue:

Are you applying for this admission cycle or the next one?
Reply 21
Original post by EternalDoom
:tongue:

Are you applying for this admission cycle or the next one?

2013 Entry to be specific. I don't know which you mean by this or next, but year Sept 2013 entry :smile:
Original post by Allego
2013 Entry to be specific. I don't know which you mean by this or next, but year Sept 2013 entry :smile:

Oh okay, so with me and the rest of us :tongue:
Does anyone know QUB's competition ratios e.g. their total no. of applicants in 2012, total no. of interviews and then total no. of offers given?
Oh okay, so with me and the rest of us :tongue:
Does anyone know QUB's competition ratios e.g. their total no. of applicants in 2012, total no. of interviews and then total no. of offers given?

"We receive approximately 900 applications for 236 places and this year have made approximately 360 offers."

From an email enquiry a little while ago.
Original post by Orinincandenza
"We receive approximately 900 applications for 236 places and this year have made approximately 360 offers."

Reply 25

I think they interviewed over 600 people am I right? Even though it does say on their website they interview the top "circa 500 applicants". I think they interviewed more than 500 probably because of the way the cut-offs fell. i.e. like if they only interviewed candidates on 38 points or more they would only have 400 to interview, but increasing the net to 37 points or more and they found themselves havnig to interview ~600ish candidates? That's my theory anyway. I know it was definitely more than 500 interviewed, I think I read that on last years thread.

Can anyone confirm that? Or the precise number interviewed?
Reply 26
Hello :smile:

I applied last year for QUB med and got an interview, but no offer. I got a B in my chemistry too, I'm thinking of reapplying this year but they told me that I would have to resit all of my AS and A2 modules (except practicals) for chemistry to be considered! Does anyone know if that's true? I only need a few marks and could pull it up to an A with one module resit...

I have tried emailing them, but they haven't replied...

Thanks in advance!
Reply 27
Original post by Allego
I think they interviewed over 600 people am I right? Even though it does say on their website they interview the top "circa 500 applicants". I think they interviewed more than 500 probably because of the way the cut-offs fell. i.e. like if they only interviewed candidates on 38 points or more they would only have 400 to interview, but increasing the net to 37 points or more and they found themselves havnig to interview ~600ish candidates? That's my theory anyway. I know it was definitely more than 500 interviewed, I think I read that on last years thread.

Can anyone confirm that? Or the precise number interviewed?

568 interviewed, 365 offers according to an email I got from them. On the info day for reapplicants they said they'd made 25 offers so far for people who didn't get an offer who were on the waiting list (ie, held no medical school offers and had achieved the grades) eh... That's about all I know...
Reply 28
Original post by Allego
Yea you certainly shouldn't have any issues getting an interview, the only problem would be the AS Biology part. I think when they say "or equivalent" they may be talking about alternatives such as Irish leaving cert or like international baccalaureate. If I were you I would phone up admissions/school of medicine just to confirm what their position is on it. It wouldn't be a matter of them penalising you for not having AS Biology, but they could say you don't meet the minumum requirements. (Sound's silly I know, but it's their way of cutting down numbers).

In terms of graduate funding, well this is a problem area. The only loan you can apply for from SLC is the maintenance loan. So most people I think use their maintenance loan to cover the fees and then have a part time job to cover their keep. As for bank loans, it's very difficult to get any - especially as a student. They have done away with most professional development loans, and also bear in mind that it is a 5 year course and most banks want the loan paid back like asap. Don't know if any other graduates have learned any new developments? But that's the information I've gathered from various sources.

I am dreading the interviews, but as you said, if the numbers getting interviewed are the same as last year, then we should have probability in our favour, but it is extremely competitive still!

You're right, and as such I emailed the admissions office last year about it and they said the MPharm degree more than met the minimum requirements....which it obviously should really! But for the sake of completeness, I just had to make sure, knowing just how fickle Queen's and other universities can be about such things! I think if you get an interview and don't mess things up and speak well, there's no reason why anyone shouldn't do well. Probability alone would suggest you've a good chance of getting in after interview.:smile: I think everyone builds it up too much in their mind sometimes than maybe what it really is...I imagine the hardest part will be completing the course than getting into it lol...but maybe I'm wrong?!? I think it's just a survival mechanism! I genuinely wish everyone the best, though! From my time on this last year too (though only applying first time this year) it seemed a lot got offers. I saw more conditionals/unconditionals than rejections. I believed that to be down to the fact that if you're taking the time to come on here and assess situations etc, then you really want the place and as such do put that extra bit of effort than maybe others who just apply for the craic. Seems a bit of a crude idea, but I do think that extra enthusiasm and want takes individuals the extra mile!
Reply 29
Original post by crisper88
You're right, and as such I emailed the admissions office last year about it and they said the MPharm degree more than met the minimum requirements....which it obviously should really! But for the sake of completeness, I just had to make sure, knowing just how fickle Queen's and other universities can be about such things! I think if you get an interview and don't mess things up and speak well, there's no reason why anyone shouldn't do well. Probability alone would suggest you've a good chance of getting in after interview.:smile: I think everyone builds it up too much in their mind sometimes than maybe what it really is...I imagine the hardest part will be completing the course than getting into it lol...but maybe I'm wrong?!? I think it's just a survival mechanism! I genuinely wish everyone the best, though! From my time on this last year too (though only applying first time this year) it seemed a lot got offers. I saw more conditionals/unconditionals than rejections. I believed that to be down to the fact that if you're taking the time to come on here and assess situations etc, then you really want the place and as such do put that extra bit of effort than maybe others who just apply for the craic. Seems a bit of a crude idea, but I do think that extra enthusiasm and want takes individuals the extra mile!

Hey again Crisper! Yea, most normal people would say a Pharmacy degree should be A2 Biology equivalent or more, but like you said, QUB and other universities can be fickle with these small details.

Just to re-iterate the statistics which are known and fact from the recent application round (i.e. for entry this september 2012).

No. of Applications: Approximately 900.
No. of people interviewed: 568.
No. of offers (conditional/unconditional): 365.
% of Applicants given offers: ~40%
% of Applicants at interview stage given offers: 64.26%

So therefore, you are right, the majority of people who get to interview get an offer. Although not everybody obviously.

You are right also crisper, getting in to the course is the easy part. Finishing it is the hard part :P.

Sources for the information cited in this post are:
(1) QUB admissions
(2) Speaking to Dr. Kieth Steele
(3) QUB UCAS information page
(4) Some information from e-mails from QUB cited by other TSR users.
Reply 30
Original post by TK-421
Hello :smile:

I applied last year for QUB med and got an interview, but no offer. I got a B in my chemistry too, I'm thinking of reapplying this year but they told me that I would have to resit all of my AS and A2 modules (except practicals) for chemistry to be considered! Does anyone know if that's true? I only need a few marks and could pull it up to an A with one module resit...

I have tried emailing them, but they haven't replied...

Thanks in advance!

Hi TK,

Yes you will need to re-sit the ENTIRE Chemistry AS&A2 apparently if you want to improve your Chemistry grade.

"Due to the competition for places, the number of offers made to students re-sitting A-levels has to be restricted. Normally only those who have applied to medicine at QUB at the first attempt, held an offer (if made) as their Conditional firm choice and achieved a minumum of AABa can be considered."

"Grades from the previous year can be held but applicants must re-take all examination components of the AS and A2 modules in the subjects being repeated.

Hope this helps. For further clarification ask QUB admissions. I would also recommend possibly getting a re-mark on your Chemistry if you are only a few marks short of an A.
Reply 31
Original post by Allego
Hi TK,

Yes you will need to re-sit the ENTIRE Chemistry AS&A2 apparently if you want to improve your Chemistry grade.

"Due to the competition for places, the number of offers made to students re-sitting A-levels has to be restricted. Normally only those who have applied to medicine at QUB at the first attempt, held an offer (if made) as their Conditional firm choice and achieved a minumum of AABa can be considered."

"Grades from the previous year can be held but applicants must re-take all examination components of the AS and A2 modules in the subjects being repeated.

Hope this helps. For further clarification ask QUB admissions. I would also recommend possibly getting a re-mark on your Chemistry if you are only a few marks short of an A.

Thanks Allego, appreciate the help

Great... 4/6 resits instead of one...
Original post by Allego
Hey again Crisper! Yea, most normal people would say a Pharmacy degree should be A2 Biology equivalent or more, but like you said, QUB and other universities can be fickle with these small details.

Just to re-iterate the statistics which are known and fact from the recent application round (i.e. for entry this september 2012).

No. of Applications: Approximately 900.
No. of people interviewed: 568.
No. of offers (conditional/unconditional): 365.
% of Applicants given offers: ~40%
% of Applicants at interview stage given offers: 64.26%

So therefore, you are right, the majority of people who get to interview get an offer. Although not everybody obviously.

You are right also crisper, getting in to the course is the easy part. Finishing it is the hard part :P.

Sources for the information cited in this post are:
(1) QUB admissions
(2) Speaking to Dr. Kieth Steele
(3) QUB UCAS information page
(4) Some information from e-mails from QUB cited by other TSR users.

Wow 40% chance of success :eek:

Also remember guys, QUB do a 'clean slate' type interview, so final offers will be given purely on interview performance.
Reply 33
Yep, clean slate indeed. Totally based on your interview score only when you get to that stage.

I'm really curious what the cut off is gonna be this year. I am predicting 38/42, MAYBE, just maybe 39/42. But I couldn't see it going any higher than that.
Wow 40% chance of success :eek:

Also remember guys, QUB do a 'clean slate' type interview, so final offers will be given purely on interview performance.

shhhhhhhhhhhhh, keep it down or it won't be anymore.:wink:
shhhhhhhhhhhhh, keep it down or it won't be anymore.:wink:

:teehee:
Reply 36
Lol, you still have to get the grades and the UKCAT score just to get your ticket first remember :P. Also, anyone from the U.K. doesn't want to come to Belfast because it's 9000GBP per year!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-19472086

Does this honestly not worry anyone else ?

This and the whole thing about N.I students going home at the weekends are honestly my biggest worries about the whole thing...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-19472086

Does this honestly not worry anyone else ?

This and the whole thing about N.I students going home at the weekends are honestly my biggest worries about the whole thing...

LOL well here in London it is 10 times worse, I can assure you that :tongue:
LOL well here in London it is 10 times worse, I can assure you that :tongue:

Really? Apart from the riots last year, London is fine.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending