The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It also depends where you are working. 17K in London is an absolute pittance given how much you will be paying for rent and general living costs.
Original post by DannyBoy123
It also depends where you are working. 17K in London is an absolute pittance given how much you will be paying for rent and general living costs.

In London rent and transport is where most expenses go to general living cost ie supermarkets etc is standard of course unless you live on zone 1 or central...
Original post by hannah60000
In London rent and transport is where most expenses go to general living cost ie supermarkets etc is standard of course unless you live on zone 1 or central...

Indeed, I include transport in general costs but you also have to consider the price of having a social life (if indeed you want one) which is considerably higher than most other places with cinema's, nightclubs, pubs, restaurants (unless you get the deals) being particularly bad. Even traditionally cheap pubs like The Rocket in Euston seem to have got expensive recently (i.e. more than £3 a pint) and if you want to drink in somewhere that isn't full of students and doesn't smell like urine then you're looking at close to or above £4 a pint these days. :colone:
Material worth isn't me
I'd be quite happy to earn that when I graduate (though hopefully with some career progression).

However I could see that if you aspire to certain things such as having children, owning a car etc (which I don't) then it might not be enough :beard: so yeah it depends
Reply 45
As an entry level graduate job i would say that it is on the poor side but for the majority of under 25's i would say it is pretty good.
Reply 46
Original post by M4LLY
It'll be a fair wage for someone of that age living in these parts (Devon) but tbh i'd like to be on at least £30k by the time i'm in my 30's

Have to agree with this. Looking for jobs as a graduate in Devon, seeing around £16-18K for what few jobs there are.

Moving to Kent and I'm looking at £22-24k, could work in central London and bring home £26-29k+.

Conclusion: Devon sucks for people in their 20s. :colondollar:
Reply 47
Original post by aliluvschoc
Have to agree with this. Looking for jobs as a graduate in Devon, seeing around £16-18K for what few jobs there are.

Moving to Kent and I'm looking at £22-24k, could work in central London and bring home £26-29k+.

Conclusion: Devon sucks for people in their 20s. :colondollar:

If i were to go full time in my current job thats what i'd be earning per year (i don't want to though as the hours are ridiculous). Plus, fun as it is its not a job i'd like to do for life. Devon does suck for people my age (18) and in their early 20's because the only 2 major population hubs are Plymouth and Exeter (they're both epic nights out). Barnstaple is OK but you do get bored there very quickly.
Depends on the job/your qualifications.

I would say no personally but I will have a maths degree and live just outside of London...
it depends completely on progression, i'm 18, lie in the countryside in staffordshire and recently dropped out of an angineering apprenticeship in a sall family buisness 6 months in after sucseeding to get offered a job in the civil service , health and safety labs, HSE , engineering still, big testing lab, doing tests i couldnt actually describe .. because its commercially sensitive and id get fired but my starting wage is just over 17k a year, with 35.5 paid leave and 5 more days in 5 years, they are fundingme for a great load of qualls , driving tests to drive big things, cranes, forks, health and safety, and level 3, HNC, HND and up to degree, maybe beyond with alot of progression possability, im on the lowest pay/responsability band .. band 6 .. it goes up to 1, so hey, keep at it, im not paying degree costs ... you are for me lol !, the sweet life :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending