The Student Room Group

Antidepressants - are they really worth it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by forgetamine
Hey,

I've got an appointment with my GP next week, she was talking about prescribing me antidepressants. I don't know yet which ones, but I've been researching them anyway and now I'm a bit scared. The list of side effects is really long and I'm worried that the medication will make me feel even worse than before. I saw that "suicidal thoughts", "self harm" and "anxiety" are some of the side effects of antidepressants, but exactly those are the things I need treatment for so I'm confused.

So I just wanted to hear some experiences from people who have taken antidepressants before. What kind of antidepressant did you take? Did it help you? Any side effects?

I just want to make sure that it's worth taking them and that they don't **** me up even more. Thanks :redface:

I have been taking setraline for almost a year, one of the ssri. it takes two weeks to build up in body system initially. yea it helps. i can feel a big difference when i take lower doses. now im very fine, just have to keep taking it. am on 50mg. reduced from 75mg after 6 months. not really had side effects, esp after start taking it for a while. so i think yeah if your doctor thinks it would be beneficial then do take it
My mom was on them for a few months nearly a year ago and they really helped her.
They save some lives, but were useless for me (the ones I tried anyway). It depends on the cause/type of depression, type of antidepressant you respond best to, dosage and many other factors.

Quick Reply

Latest