Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
  • View Poll Results: do you trust the police
    yes
    54.63%
    no
    45.37%

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    In the most part, yes. They are, as previously said, pretty much normal people who are up for a laugh/good chat.

It is at big events where they struggle, and I personally believe thats down to piss poor organisation and orders of rough tactics from above rather than the individual officers who are on the street.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Haven't much to do with them. One contact was for theft, which was sorted, while another was me asking them 'what happened' when they closed a street off but there was only a single car parked in the middle of the road. I was drunk or tipsy but I could detect some emotion in the response. Perhaps I was asking the wrong type of police squad or even people, because this was in the centre of Bournemouth. Had it been somewhere like Highworth they would've been more friendlier and it probably didn't help there were no doubt hundreds of people asking the same thing.

I think people worry too much. People scream racism despite the fact it's common knowledge they go after anyone with hoods on, so how can they tell which race they are? When I see black people wearing jeans and a t shirt being stopped then perhaps I'll get a bit suspicious but for now, let them go after hoodies.

Also, I define 'hoodies' as wearing the hood up for no reason. I wear a hooded jacket, I barely use the hood and I mainly have it open.

As for the whole Ian Tomlinson, it's a horrid shame but the police aren't there to ask every whether they're physically capable or whether they're just stalling while they're meant to be containing a riot.
    • 14 followers

(Original post by DeadGirlsDance)
    Based on previous experiences I don't. When you do need them they don't actually do anything anyway :rolleyes:.
    :ditto:
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by internet tough guy)
    Its very worrying news that this disgrace of a police officer was cleared, I knew he should've been found guilty, and now that his past record has come to light, well thats just adding insult to injury. You'd have to either be retarded or biased to argue that the guy used 'reasonable' force. Can't believe the jury bought this lie :facepalm2:
    Apparently there was a failure in the vetting process which allowed him to be rehired by a different force :facepalm:

Pretty scary stuff.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    man f the police, they took my product and fined me bare p just for walking in the street with it. I dont need that.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by internet tough guy)
    Its very worrying news that this disgrace of a police officer was cleared, I knew he should've been found guilty, and now that his past record has come to light, well thats just adding insult to injury. You'd have to either be retarded or biased to argue that the guy used 'reasonable' force. Can't believe the jury bought this lie :facepalm2:

What a ****, that was just a plain assault on a guy who was posing no threat to them.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I like policemen. All of my friends dislike them.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Having had the opportunity to liaise with the Metropolitan police this year, I can say that I have a lot of respect for the work they do. A lot of the good work that police officers perform goes unnoticed and they have to deal with a lot of crap, from members of the public as well as 'management'; especially nowadays where the police service is facing massive cuts to it's funding.

You do get some bad eggs and I think that it is disappointing when these officers are not dealt with appropriately. I hope this will change and I think it unfair that some people seem to allow the minority to damage the reputation of the majority.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm leaning towards saying no in as general a sense as the question was posed.

It would be unfair of me to deem all police officers untrustworthy as I am sure that there are many creditable and exemplary officers within nationwide police force. I've had little experience with the police outside my locality so the following come to mind based purely on this:

- Had a rough time at school, extracting every scintilla of enjoyment from their position of 'unquestionable' authority

- In many situations, will exhibit a disposition to favour one based on social class

- Not particularly meticulous or thorough-going in approach. A propensity to selectively sweep under the carpet

- Proud owners of a licence to lie and deceive because of their status as honourable and upright bastions of the community

- Generally abortive, flaccid, unconcerned, obnoxious and deplored
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    They are the country's biggest gang how can you possibly trust them?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've no doubt there are many genuinely decent police officers but in my experiences nearly every officer of the law has been very rude and disregard their actual line of duty. That could in fairness be down to where I was brought up, which was a small place.

I have been lied to by the police with regards to how long certain things would stay on my record, been harassed by them, questioned and attempted to be searched with no grounds to do so, being demanded respect when they have none for you and, probably the worst, was laughed at when I came across 2 police officers after being mugged by a group of chavs.

I refrain from bothering to get them involved now because they are utterly useless. We had out flat robbed, which we informed the police about immediately, though we managed to find out who the person was that robbed from us, who he sold our goods to and where he had left the car that was stolen and sorted it all out ourselves.

So now, I have little respect, trust or sense of security that these people are supposed to provide.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pads)
    but these things happens where there are protests like that.
    What? So innocent people get killed by the police when there are protects? And you accept that?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForensicShoe)
    Apparently there was a failure in the vetting process which allowed him to be rehired by a different force :facepalm:

Pretty scary stuff.
    Says alot about the character of the man himself and perhaps about those in the police in general. He knew he done wrong, but he only got himself to think about, and he just simply went and applied to another police force like with any other job. Its probably the same with this case as well, deep down he probably knows that he went over board with the push but he won't own up to it for his own sake, and thats understandable, he's only a human so of course he's going to be selfish.

This is why I don't assume trust in police or anyone for that matter, and I think its naive to do so because at the end of the day, they're going to be selfish, they've got their own backs to look after - everything else comes second to that.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not at all!

Uniformed Thugs and the capitalist states militia. They are there to uphold the state and oppress the working class.

ACAB

"love this tune lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMO6GpVG_Xw
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    What? So innocent people get killed by the police when there are protects? And you accept that?
    I accept that a drunk alcoholic who doesnt have the best health can, when pushed by police who are trying to clear an area of protesters, fall over, get up again and walk away before collapsing and unfortunately dieing can happen. and that in this case it is unfair to pick out an individual police officer and put him in prison after this unfortunate incident for doing his job thus ruining the lives of more people after this tragic accident. Harwood clearly didnt want to kill anyone and probably wishes he had called in sick that day.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, from personal experiences involving court cases with lying policemen
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pads)
    I accept that a drunk alcoholic who doesnt have the best health can, when pushed by police who are trying to clear an area of protesters, fall over, get up again and walk away before collapsing and unfortunately dieing can happen. and that in this case it is unfair to pick out an individual police officer and put him in prison after this unfortunate incident for doing his job thus ruining the lives of more people after this tragic accident.
    So again I ask you think it is fine if an innocent person dies because of a police officers actions?

(Original post by Pads)
    Harwood clearly didnt want to kill anyone.
    Doesn't matter. He did kill someone.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    do I ****. I want nothing to do with them.
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aust1n)
    I do to an extent, but I find their actual knowledge of the law, human rights, et cetera to be thoroughly lacking in most cases and it worries me that a lot resort to aggressive tactics quicker than they should.

My other concern is that with the majority of them not actually being that clever academically that they blindly follow the orders of the heirarchy. For gods sake they only just got off their arses and started moaning about how the police force was going down the pan. This should have happened as soon as the cuts were implimented.
    Apparently the police hate it when people start quoting law texts and show their knowledge of the law at them
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    So again I ask you think it is fine if an innocent person dies because of a police officers actions?

Doesn't matter. He did kill someone.
    The push was not the one single factor that killed him. Therefore I dont believe you can fairly put a guy in prison for it who was doing his job.

I know you don't agree with me and will carry on trying to change my mind or make me sound like I am suggesting its ok for police to go out onto the street and kill innocent people. If thats what you want to do then carry on.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: July 24, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.