The Student Room Group

Legal CV can it be creative/ artistic?

Hi guys!

Im currently trying to update my CV and having lived with art students and looked at theirs, which are so much more graphic and creative, i've been thinking why not combine the two, say an academic CV just with a better layout/graphics, do you think this can work?

Here are some examples i found...col_terry_dee_resume-full.jpg
icART_resume_by_icasialnrdy.jpg
MY_RESUME_by_darthkix.jpg
Reply 1
No.

Though I would like to say that Francis Homo is an excellent name, bravo that man.
Reply 2
I wouldn't say any of those are better layouts because in the first instance I'm drawn away from the information I'm trying to read and towards the colour scheme/ background.
Reply 3
I just think that law cv's are kind of monotonous and dull trying to think of something that will make mine stand out a bit more
Reply 4
Monotonous is fine: make it stand out with the content rather than with flashy gimmicks.
Reply 5
Those are all design/advertising/art related CVs designed to showcase artistic talent.

Your CV will be designed to showcase quality of written English, law ability, how presentable and reliable you are and so on.

These will leave you a laughing stock.
I would only do a CV like that if I was applying for jobs that are creative... For example graphics.
Not at all recommended. Conformity is an important part of working in a law firm. At work you're not even allowed to modify the font. All emails have to be replied in the exact same format and your signature has to look a certain way. I was once told off for replying in a different shade of colour to the one we've been forced to use.
Reply 8
OP, use a standard font (Times New Roman or Arial) and layout. Those coloured CVs are not remotely appropriate for a law CV. You can have a well-presented, well laid-out CV (a lot of CVs are pretty ugly or badly presented)--but keep the font black, the paper white or off-white, and use a standard, straightforward font.

Original post by The West Wing
Not at all recommended. Conformity is an important part of working in a law firm. At work you're not even allowed to modify the font. All emails have to be replied in the exact same format and your signature has to look a certain way. I was once told off for replying in a different shade of colour to the one we've been forced to use.

Is that why your emails are always in that particular shade of blue? :tongue:
Original post by jjarvis

Is that why your emails are always in that particular shade of blue? :tongue:

It is indeed :p: It's because in the past blackberries could only read a small number of colours so we had to use that one.
Reply 10
Original post by The West Wing
It is indeed :p: It's because in the past blackberries could only read a small number of colours so we had to use that one.

Why not black? :tongue:
Reply 11
Original post by jjarvis
Why not black? :tongue:

I worked in an office where we used blue, and it makes it easier to tell your emails from the ones sent by people external. Most people use black, so you can scroll through and it's breaks up the individual emails a lot.

Quick Reply