Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Foundation Year for Entry

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I'm going to try and say this as clearly as I can since I'm not very good at explaining!

I'm currently studying Art, English Literature and ICT in South Wales (just finished my AS year) and I want to apply for Liverpool John Moores Uni.

I've been told I wouldn't be able to get onto the course without a Foundation Degree in Art & Design which sadly my college nor LMJU can accommodate me with. My questions are:

• Am I able to take a foundation degree alongside my A Levels this coming September? - Perhaps online or my college can give me a crash course for their 2 year BTEC.
    • If I cannot, do I apply to the University for the Foundation Degree or will I have to apply to Liverpool Community College (I think they do it) and then apply for LJMU in 2014?

Thanks for any help!

Adam
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    A Foundation degree is basically the first two years of a three year bachelors degree, it's a level 5 qualification equivalent to the HND. You can't do it at the same time as A levels which are level 3.
    You might be confusing it with the foundation year which is a one year course taken before starting a degree.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    A Foundation degree is basically the first two years of a three year bachelors degree, it's a level 5 qualification equivalent to the HND. You can't do it at the same time as A levels which are level 3.
    You might be confusing it with the foundation year which is a one year course taken before starting a degree.
    Thanks for your quick reply. It does seem as though I'm getting confused with the two, this was some of the email I received from LMJU:

"To answer your questions:

· If you are studying for three A levels we still require you to do an Art foundation course. Unfortunately we do not offer a foundation programme at LJMU so you would need to source this at a local college for example"

Is it possible to do a foundation year alongside a levels in my own time so I do not have to spend another year in college?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    There's a list of colleges doing art foundation courses on ucas website. Can't provide a link as I'm on the phone.

A google shows there's a possibility of doing a distance learning course (at your own expense), i'm not sure if it'd be acceptable to ljmu. Other than that you could always ask at your college.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ps might be worth starting a new thread on the creative arts course forum to ask.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice, I'll post a thread now!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Are there no colleges near you that do an art foundation course? It may be worth checking other colleges ect.
    You won't have time to do it alongside your A levels, the vast majority of people do it the year after they do their a levels.
    Most art courses will require you to have done one of these before they will accept you on to a degree.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 20, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE results day

Waiting for your grades? Let off some steam in our results chat megathread

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.