Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Apple forced to advertise for Samsung

Announcements Posted on
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/right...161541675.html

All I can say is LOL. They deserve this for trying to sue everyone who has anything even remotely similar to their brand/products.

I am waiting for them to start suing apple trees for trademark infringement.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's the problem with minimalist design. If your design is so simple (like a black piece of plastic with a button and a screen), obviously competing products are going to look similar.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Apple aren't trying to sue everybody. All the companies are as bad as each other in this stupid patent war.

As for the ruling? It is slightly ridiculous as it reeks of treating Apple as some sort of naughty schoolboy but if it stops this stupid suing and counter suing culture of the big multinationals, then I couldn't care less. Apple will no doubt appeal and if they fail on that you can sure as hell know that they will get a sly dig in at Samsung considering the same Judge in his verdict called Samsung 'uncool'.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's a square, every tablets gonna look like it.

And good, if you've been going round claiming they copied you thats essentially libel, and they'd have to rectify it.
    • 68 followers

ReputationRep:
    A cruel and unusual punishment.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    This makes me giggle so much.

That'll teach em.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Good. The lawsuits have been outrageous. I do love Apple products (in their own unique way, along with PCs, Android phones, etc... each for their own reasons, I am no fanboy).
    At times though, their business practices suck. But they are a company and their first goal is profit. If they think that being as litigious as they have been in recent years can boost their earnings it's probably time to blame the system not the companies as they aren't the only ones up to these tricks.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Honourable Judge Briss QC)
    They [Samsung Galaxy Tablets] do not have the same understated and extreme simplicity which is possessed by the Apple design. They are not as cool. The overall impression produced is different.
    :facepalm:

Something tells me he has an iPad.
    • 65 followers

ReputationRep:
    A win for Apple, in my opinion

Samsung are not "as cool" is the official ruling

Then they can state explicitly that Samsung have not been successful in replicating anything nearly as good as the iPad
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I believe Apple are going to appeal this decision.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    That judge is a joker. :rofl:
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    WTF? "not as cool" is a valid legal ruling now? I had to check I wasn't reading a Daily Mail article...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like the judge is having a laugh tbh. I kinda wonder if his job will be threatened after this tbh.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tooosh)
    WTF? "not as cool" is a valid legal ruling now? I had to check I wasn't reading a Daily Mail article...
    Well, to be honest he did spend 150 paragraphs talking about the law, the two expert witnesses, the design specs etc. His job was to decide whether Samsung copied Apple, and to do that he needed to be in a position of an "informed user" (someone who knows what tablets are, and wants to buy one, but isn't an expert) and if I'm correct, he was only able to judge if it was a copy by just looking at, not by using it. So the "not as cool" ruling was just a conclusion of all the differences.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaliack)
    Well, to be honest he did spend 150 paragraphs talking about the law, the two expert witnesses, the design specs etc. His job was to decide whether Samsung copied Apple, and to do that he needed to be in a position of an "informed user" (someone who knows what tablets are, and wants to buy one, but isn't an expert) and if I'm correct, he was only able to judge if it was a copy by just looking at, not by using it. So the "not as cool" ruling was just a conclusion of all the differences.
    Still though, it's kind of hard to believe after all that his conclusion was "not as cool".
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    So wait, Apple can somehow claim the rights to such a generic and simple design yet Microsoft can't claim rights to the name 'tablet' despite making the first one ten years ago?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snagprophet)
    So wait, Apple can somehow claim the rights to such a generic and simple design yet Microsoft can't claim rights to the name 'tablet' despite making the first one ten years ago?
    No, that's why they lost.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, that's why they lost.
    Well hopefully Apple will get put in it's place by this.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snagprophet)
    Well hopefully Apple will get put in it's place by this.
    I hope not. A lot of lawyers benefit from Apples feeble attempts to maximise profits :P
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I hope not. A lot of lawyers benefit from Apples feeble attempts to maximise profits :P
    Aha good point.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 24, 2012
New on TSR

THE world university rankings 2014-2015 revealed

Will they affect your uni choices?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.