The Student Room Group

Is it weird to make an online friend?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Kittiara
I don't think it's weird. I've met some wonderful people online, and some of them I do class as friends. I've met up with a few, too (usually after speaking with them online for quite a long time). And I met my boyfriend online. He was from another country, and I actually moved from my country to be with him. We live together now!

It can be a bit hit and miss, though. Some people I met were lovely, and we clicked just like we did online. But a couple of them were creeps, who had been lying about who they are. One was lovely and charming online, but his entire persona was made up and when I met him I got into a very nasty situation. I was younger then, and naieve, and I thought it was safe, because he lived with his parents and therefore we wouldn't be alone at his house. I was wrong, and I count myself lucky that I escaped with an injured nose and a damaged hip because it could have been a lot worse than that!

I reckon most people online are nice and genuine enough, but there are always some who'll lie and manipulate, and who hide their true nature behind fancy words. Just like offline, except it's even easier for them when you can't look into their eyes and see their expressions. So do be careful, and don't be silly like me - if you do meet someone, meet in a public space and make sure you have family/friends who know where you are and who can check on you to see if everything is okay.

wow... do you mind me asking what happened with this person? this is my main worry, that they are lying! but i have issues with trusting people completely so I do the same in real life sometimes... i don't know if i am being paranoid.
Reply 61
Original post by Anonymous
wow... do you mind me asking what happened with this person? this is my main worry, that they are lying! but i have issues with trusting people completely so I do the same in real life sometimes... i don't know if i am being paranoid.

Well, I'd chatted with the guy for about a couple of years. We were both part of an RPG group. At that time I wasn't sure what to do next, where to go with my life, and when he invited me over I was ready for a bit of an adventure. As said, I reckoned it would be safe because I'd not just be staying with him but with his parents and younger brother as well. Besides, from the pictures he'd sent me he looked kind of hot and I do admit that I felt an attraction.

The same day I arrived I found out that a lot of stuff he'd told me about were lies, but I told myself to ignore that, because surely he was the lovely person I'd talked with all that while. Except he wasn't. I could sit down reading a book and he'd kick me in the face, and then be all sorry and say it was because he'd been bullied in the past and that if only I was like this or like that he wouldn't have to act out... typical abusive behaviour. I'd booked my flight for a couple of weeks and I was in a different country. Stupid, stupid, stupid, because I couldn't simply leave. And his parents completely ignored everything. They must have noticed but he was "their baby" and couldn't do anything wrong. I won't go into great detail but it was hell.

It was also a real lesson learned. Don't simply trust people and don't get yourself into a situation you can't easily remove yourself from. When I met my boyfriend online I was a lot more careful, and luckily that worked out great!

Not everyone online is a liar. I reckon most people you meet anywhere, including online, are decent. But there are those out there who do lie and manipulate and who take advantage of other people's trust. It's always a gamble. Best thing to do, in my opinion, is when you meet someone you only know from the Internet, take precautions to ensure your own safety, and don't be offended when the other person does so as well.
Reply 62
Well, I'd chatted with the guy for about a couple of years. We were both part of an RPG group. At that time I wasn't sure what to do next, where to go with my life, and when he invited me over I was ready for a bit of an adventure. As said, I reckoned it would be safe because I'd not just be staying with him but with his parents and younger brother as well. Besides, from the pictures he'd sent me he looked kind of hot and I do admit that I felt an attraction.

The same day I arrived I found out that a lot of stuff he'd told me about were lies, but I told myself to ignore that, because surely he was the lovely person I'd talked with all that while. Except he wasn't. I could sit down reading a book and he'd kick me in the face, and then be all sorry and say it was because he'd been bullied in the past and that if only I was like this or like that he wouldn't have to act out... typical abusive behaviour. I'd booked my flight for a couple of weeks and I was in a different country. Stupid, stupid, stupid, because I couldn't simply leave. And his parents completely ignored everything. They must have noticed but he was "their baby" and couldn't do anything wrong. I won't go into great detail but it was hell.

It was also a real lesson learned. Don't simply trust people and don't get yourself into a situation you can't easily remove yourself from. When I met my boyfriend online I was a lot more careful, and luckily that worked out great!

Not everyone online is a liar. I reckon most people you meet anywhere, including online, are decent. But there are those out there who do lie and manipulate and who take advantage of other people's trust. It's always a gamble. Best thing to do, in my opinion, is when you meet someone you only know from the Internet, take precautions to ensure your own safety, and don't be offended when the other person does so as well.

i can't believe that... that is so awful... that someone would behave that way! it's really strange as well... wow i am so sorry that happened to you! did he ever give a reason for it? i can't get over that someone could be like that! i would have probably never talked to anyone on the internet again...

thanks for your reply
Reply 63
Original post by Anonymous
i can't believe that... that is so awful... that someone would behave that way! it's really strange as well... wow i am so sorry that happened to you! did he ever give a reason for it? i can't get over that someone could be like that! i would have probably never talked to anyone on the internet again...

thanks for your reply

Nah, he didn't give a reason. I later learned that a month after I left there he'd lured over this girl from New Zealand and she really got stuck there! And she got the same treatment. Took her ages to escape because he stopped her from flying back and confiscated her money so she couldn't get another ticket, and again, the parents sat by and let it happen. She threatened to go to the police several times but he got under her skin by laughing and saying they wouldn't believe her. And after she eventually escaped, he moved on to the next one. He's the type of person where it's always everyone else's fault, not his.

There are people like that out there. Luckily it's a minority.

Weird though, after that happened I told myself I'd never, ever get involved with anyone from the Internet ever again, and that's when I met the boyfriend... life is strange.
Reply 64
Nah, he didn't give a reason. I later learned that a month after I left there he'd lured over this girl from New Zealand and she really got stuck there! And she got the same treatment. Took her ages to escape because he stopped her from flying back and confiscated her money so she couldn't get another ticket, and again, the parents sat by and let it happen. She threatened to go to the police several times but he got under her skin by laughing and saying they wouldn't believe her. And after she eventually escaped, he moved on to the next one. He's the type of person where it's always everyone else's fault, not his.

There are people like that out there. Luckily it's a minority.

Weird though, after that happened I told myself I'd never, ever get involved with anyone from the Internet ever again, and that's when I met the boyfriend... life is strange.

so scary... i hope he got punished in the end. what is wrong with his parents!?

luckily i can't imagine this guy ever being like that but i'm sure you could have said the same thing about him...
well not really, There are alot of amazing people out there in the world and you can meet some online. I have made some real cool friends online, namely from gaming But i have never really met anyone online in person apart from a dude from an online game where we traded virtual items in person at an internet cafe. However i met this lovely girl online and hopefully we plan to meet up soon. She is a real amazing person like no one i have ever met and i feel really comfortable talking to her and we seem to have alot in common aswell. We have been talking to each other alot since we met online and been skyping a few times. So yeah, hopefully things will work out great between us :smile:

So don't think of it being weird cause like an above poster said, she met her boyfriend online and they are happily together for awhile now. So yeah, who knows if u meet the love of your life online? are you suppose to let them pass you by? But like people said early, by all means becareful though cause they are alot of fake people, imposter, rapist, criminals etc online so take precaution. Always verify who they say they are etc..

i guess that's my experience :smile: Good luck though! :biggrin:
A friend who is there for you is a true friend no matter whether you met them online or in person. I don't think it's weird at all, not these days.
Original post by Melting Sugar.
A friend who is there for you is a true friend no matter whether you met them online or in person. I don't think it's weird at all, not these days.

true saying that is :smile:
Of course not. I have a couple of friends that I met online, and they're both great. Sometimes you just click with people straightaway and it's a nice feeling.

Just don't go about handing out personal details and be cautious.
Reply 69
I've made loads of friends online who I have met down the line eventually. Actually my best friend of over 10 years I met in an AOL chat group haha after talking for a bit we realised we lived only 2 roads away from each other... Met up and have been great friends ever since :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I have a lot of friends in real life obviously but I have a really good friend online that I have known for about 6 years now we want to meet but we live a little bit away from each other but we might do sometime. I don't think it's weird as long as that isn't your social life...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending