The Student Room Group

Cambridge Psychological and Behavioural Sciences (PBS) Students and Applicants

Hey, I don't know if i am allowed to start new threads, but i noticed there is nothing for cambridge's new (entry from 2013) psychology tripos on this forum.

Typically, people did psychology through the natural sciences tripos or the SPS/PPS tripos. Now, I believe you can still take psychology through the natural sciences route (with psychology papers available in the second and third years), however HSPS (replacing Politics, Psychology & Sociology Tripos; PPS) now doesn't seem to include psychology as a second year option (although it remains as a first year option)

Course Structure
http://www.pbs.tripos.cam.ac.uk/structure
PBSDiagramWebVersion22ndMarch2012.png

[video="youtube;mprutC7kxfE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mprutC7kxfE[/video]

The course seems to be really exciting, and definately worth thinking about if your on track to get A*AA at A level! The main difference between PBS and other psychology courses seems to be the 4 additional non psychology papers that you take. This is definitely a good thing, as a PPS undergrad, I've massively enjoyed doing optional papers like biological anthropology or sociology, and this will really make your degree stand out. Also, because the pace of cambridge is so fast, you will still cover the same amount of psychology as most other universities!

P.s. I've updated and tweaked the "Psychology at Cambridge" article, so get keen applicants!
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Psychology_At_Cambridge#Psychology_through_the_Psychological_and_Behavioural_Sciences_Tripos
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've heard that having good biology and maths skills are pretty important to taking the course, so does that mean that they might give you sometime in the interview some maths questions to solve in front of them, as statistics is a big part of the course? Or maybe they'd ask you some biology questions about how the brain perceives things for example?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Who said this? I can't really comment on what admissions want to see, but if you look at the course requirements- there are none! (Essential: No specific subjects; from http://goo.gl/hXBew).

As with any psychology degree, biology and stats are inside the degree, although i do not think it features to a greater percent HERE as it does elsewhere. You can decide to study more or less biological psychology in your third year, too.
Reply 3
Original post by iammichealjackson
Who said this? I can't really comment on what admissions want to see, but if you look at the course requirements- there are none! (Essential: No specific subjects; from http://goo.gl/hXBew).

As with any psychology degree, biology and stats are inside the degree, although i do not think it features to a greater percent HERE as it does elsewhere. You can decide to study more or less biological psychology in your third year, too.

I'm sure that it was said in the video on their website about the topic. Maybe I misunderstood it.
Since A-level psychology is not available in my school (nor is it needed), could you suggest to me any books that you found interesting on the subject? I'm reading plenty of books such as how the mind works by Pinker, the social animal, dream interpretation by freud as well as some gcse basics, but I would like to read more specific topics. What field are you particularly interested in?

Original post by nickyr212
I'm sure that it was said in the video on their website about the topic. Maybe I misunderstood it.
Since A-level psychology is not available in my school (nor is it needed), could you suggest to me any books that you found interesting on the subject? I'm reading plenty of books such as how the mind works by Pinker, the social animal, dream interpretation by freud as well as some gcse basics, but I would like to read more specific topics. What field are you particularly interested in?

Oh actually, i just watched the video and it says being comfortable with the basics of biology. This doesn't really mean that you have to know it in depth, "The human mind" book I mentioned before will give you the basics. First year PBS doesn't have much neuroscience in it anyway- the second year "Cogntion and the Brain" module suggests this pdf as a good primer too: http://www.brainfacts.org/about-neuroscience/brain-facts-book/~/media/Brainfacts/Article%20Multimedia/About%20Neuroscience/Brain%20Facts%20book.ashx
Reply 5
Don't tell anyone else about this course :ninja: selfishly, I would love to get on!

What's the deal with where this is being taught, which college?

Thinking of applying to St John's.
Reply 6
Hey again. Some colleges require a school/college essay, so does it have to be about psychology or can it be any written essay in general? I'm asking because my school doesn't offer psychology as a course. What could I send in instead?

Reply 7
I am soooo definitely going to apply for this course it is the perfect combination of what I am really interested in. I think because they say no skills are required for this course it will mainly depend on your personal statement and on your A-levels. Biology and Mathematics are always helpful in psychology related subjects but not essential, tough I would not recommend this course if you don't have a certain ability to solve maths problems.
I really hope they accept my application.
Hey again. Some colleges require a school/college essay, so does it have to be about psychology or can it be any written essay in general? I'm asking because my school doesn't offer psychology as a course. What could I send in instead?

I think they just want to see your writing style, how in depth you write and things like that. If anything, giving a psychology essay may not be that good since my psychology spec definitely wouldn't reward the sort of answers that make you good at cambridge essays (i.e. not just trying to get 7 Ao2s and 5 Ao1s points). Do you do any essay based subjects?

Original post by josi1492
I am soooo definitely going to apply for this course it is the perfect combination of what I am really interested in. I think because they say no skills are required for this course it will mainly depend on your personal statement and on your A-levels. Biology and Mathematics are always helpful in psychology related subjects but not essential, tough I would not recommend this course if you don't have a certain ability to solve maths problems.
I really hope they accept my application.

They don't say no skills are needed... there are just so many different kinds of skills that you will use and learn that there is no point penalising anyone who doesn't have maths A Level or whatever.
(edited 11 years ago)
Hey, all the information given on here so far has been really useful, so thanks!
But am wondering whether they really do not mind a lack of science/maths at A-level, and if they would favour other applicants who have these subjects.

I really love psychology A level, but the closest we get to science is learning research methods. My other subjects are Geography, Enlgish Language and History, so I have no proof of my science/maths skills since GCSE. But i did get A*s in them at GCSE.

On the cambridge video they ask for "academically challenging subjects" and to show "you are comfortable with basic maths and biology". When they say maths and science is "useful" aren't they inferring that they look for these subjects in applicants first?

Any ideas? Is it worth applying when i may have a better chance of getting on a different Cambridge course?

Thanks
Original post by Charlottexxxx
Hey, all the information given on here so far has been really useful, so thanks!
But am wondering whether they really do not mind a lack of science/maths at A-level, and if they would favour other applicants who have these subjects.

I really love psychology A level, but the closest we get to science is learning research methods. My other subjects are Geography, Enlgish Language and History, so I have no proof of my science/maths skills since GCSE. But i did get A*s in them at GCSE.

On the cambridge video they ask for "academically challenging subjects" and to show "you are comfortable with basic maths and biology". When they say maths and science is "useful" aren't they inferring that they look for these subjects in applicants first?

Any ideas? Is it worth applying when i may have a better chance of getting on a different Cambridge course?

Thanks

Okay. Firstly, I am a bit confused why you would want to apply to a course other than psychology at cambridge? I don't know if your equally interested in something else? Its not worth applying for something you don't like as much just to get a degree at cambridge. What course were you thinking of?

Secondly, when they say basic maths and biology, I am pretty sure they don't mean A Level standard. From what I know from PPS, a lot of people have done the psychology route without science A levels (including my tutor who did PPS too). However BPS is different, and different tutors may have different opinions on what is needed. Statistics in psychology doesn't build much on what you learn at A level, unless you do substantial amounts of statistics in your optional papers.

From what I know, all the papers (even the optional ones) start from assuming no knowledge. Biological anthropology is fine without any biology background- so is Evolution and Behaviour (although for the latter I would do some pre-reading for it!).
I really enjoy all my A-level subjects, and am not sure what career i want so I kind of have a ridiculously broad set of interests - not helpful haha I enjoy history (the other course i was considering), and thats the subject Im best at but Im not sure whether its right for me so I was just thinking about Psych. Psych is probably the subject im most interested in, but I dont know whether i could handle/enjoy the scientific approach at university.

I emailed the department to ask their opinion, and they said look at the different requirements for each college, but pretty much all of them say the same - that maths and science are "useful" not essential. If i got in i would definitely choose modules that are more social, and through taking these options it seems you dont have to do much "science" apart from that involved in the general experimental psychology modules that are compulsory.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help, and I'll have to think about it!
Original post by Charlottexxxx
I really enjoy all my A-level subjects, and am not sure what career i want so I kind of have a ridiculously broad set of interests - not helpful haha I enjoy history (the other course i was considering), and thats the subject Im best at but Im not sure whether its right for me so I was just thinking about Psych. Psych is probably the subject im most interested in, but I dont know whether i could handle/enjoy the scientific approach at university.

I emailed the department to ask their opinion, and they said look at the different requirements for each college, but pretty much all of them say the same - that maths and science are "useful" not essential. If i got in i would definitely choose modules that are more social, and through taking these options it seems you dont have to do much "science" apart from that involved in the general experimental psychology modules that are compulsory.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help, and I'll have to think about it!

Well psychology is a science mostly. I think compared to most other psychology courses, PBS is one of the best if you are not at all interested in biology or if you are very interested in biology and science- because of all the optional papers such as sociology, anthropology, criminology, philosophy and the biology extra papers.

The HSPS course is good for less scientific approaches to human life and behaviour, although you may not have read much about those subjects offered from your A levels. Might be worth looking.
Will do, thanks a lot, you've been really helpful :smile:
Hi everyone:smile:

just want to create a new thread for those who have applied for PBS course for 2013 Entry and share information around~
I have got an invitation of interview from Magdalene College.
and I have to attend a written test later. Anyone know what it is?:colondollar:
ops and I was from Hong Kong:-)
Hey there! I got an interview offer from Clare college a week ago, but I still don't know the date, strangely enough. I should be getting details by the end of this week. Goodness, I don't even know what to expect in the interview itself. I don't have to do a written test, fortunately. Have you taken psychology in high school?

I'm from cyprus =)

(edited 11 years ago)
Interview and TSA on December 5th! :biggrin: I can't wait.
Hey there! I got an interview offer from Clare college a week ago, but I still don't know the date, strangely enough. I should be getting details by the end of this week. Goodness, I don't even know what to expect in the interview itself. I don't have to do a written test, fortunately. Have you taken psychology in high school? <br />
<br />
I'm from cyprus =) <br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />

Nope. No psychology in the local curriculum here
But I am taking physics,chemistry,biology along with Additional Math:smile:
Original post by benwong95177
<br />

Haha congrat there