The Student Room Group

What do you actually do in a normal day at university?

Title says it all.
Reply 1
Depends on the course. For example, I wake up at 8, get dressed and get the train to uni. Then, I have a 2 hour lecture, 1 hour break, and then another 2 hour lecture. Then I go home and relax :P
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Flyteryder
Title says it all.

Think you should be more specific. it will vary enormously depending o course and university. Some student work like dogs, others don't.
Depending on lecture and tutorial times, head in to the university for the first one, then go home for lunch and head back in for the afternoon classes. Then, go home, have dinner, possibly some reading or tutorial prep/coursework. Other than that, it's all free time. I usually use mine gaming, running, watching football or heading out with friends.
:curious:

I'm curious to know what you think you do in university.
Reply 5
Massively dependent on your course and the university if you're talking about people in general. In general most people have lectures/seminars/tutorials/labs during the day (mostly 9-5, but some courses like dentistry and vetinary science can start earlier, and some courses with labs such as chemistry and physics may go on till 6, but generally no later).

In general, everyone has at least from 1 till 2 for lunch. Occasionally there are talks put on on campus that people go to.

I know lots of people that go to the gym between lectures or do work in the library/computer room(s).

Rehearsals for drama and music groups and training sessions for sport occur after around 5pm. Some groups meet up on weekends too or before lectures begin in the morning.

People, at least at my uni, tend to go out (in terms of clubbing) more during the week, then on the weekend, it's more houseparties or gigs or just chilling out. This is definitely more true in 1st and 2nd year, but it'll depend on what you get involved in and the people you choose to hang out with.

To be honest, it all depends on what you get involved in. You can be as busy or as relaxed as you like at uni.
Wake up at 6, do an hour at the gym or if I haven't done an assignment due on the day I'll do that.

Start getting ready at 8, read the news to get my day started, breakfast and all that jazz.

10 min walk to uni, grab a coffee and head to lectures.

In between lectures I'll either go to see professors to discuss any topics, go to the library with my friends and study together (usually end up chatting) or go out for lunch.

If we have a really long break between lectures we'll sometimes go to the cinema (the joy of being in london) or more often go to one of our flats and play PS3.

Wednesday is club/society day so that's either tennis or cricket for me.

In the evenings sometimes I'll have to help organise events for my societies. Sometimes go to career networking events. Other times go to a little social gathering or house party.

Most evenings are spent with me stuck at my desk completing projects, tearing my hair out, procrastinating, tearing my hair out some more...

Not sure if course matters (physics at imperial) because pretty much everyone I know at my uni (and in unis nearby) have the same kind of day.

But I guess the lecture hours do differ. My best friend is doing philosophy at king's and he only has 6 hours of lectures a week compared to like 20 for me but then he has to spend a lot more time reading independently which I think requires much more discipline.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
1: Get Up and shower, eat breakfast/lunch.

2: go to lecture or browse the internet and laze around till its my first one of the day, maybe go to library or the gym and do a bit of work.

3: after lectures do assignments in the evening, eat, maybe go to the gym, hang out in halls with friends or go out, or just chill in my room, or skype.

4: bed

On days where i have no lectures I do pretty much the same things bar lectures. Its just lectures when you have them, work when assignments are due in, then gym and chilling/partying in the time in between.

(based off having just done my 1st year).
(edited 11 years ago)
typical day:

-get up, get ready.
-head into uni.
-lecture.
-break.
-lecture.
-long ass break 2/3/4 hours.
-debate with everyone whether we should go home.
-this debate goes on for a while, until there's no point going home.
-I tell myself I should do something productive in these extended breaks. Never happens.
-lecture.
-lecture.
-suicidal.
-note taking becomes non-existent.
-about to murder the lecturer cause he's gone over by about 1/2 minutes.
-light at the end of tunnel.
-home.
-whilst going home, tell myself that I'm going straight to bed for a nap. Never happens.
-"fancy going out tonight"?
-Oh go on then.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
On a good day, and I'll give you my Monday as an example (first year):

Wake up at 9.30, scramble myself together for my 10am Geography lecture. Then I have Economics 11-12. I get an hour break so I head back to my flat for lunch, then I'm in an Environmental Science lecture from 1-2. Another hour break that I usually spend in the library because I can't be bothered going back to the flat. During that hour I usually look over the questions we're going to be asked in my Economics tutorial at 3-4. Spend most of tutorial wondering what I'm going to have for dinner. After my tutorial I'd pop by Tescos to buy dinner. Might have a little nap when I get home. Have tea with my flatmate at about 5/6, watch some tv. Sometimes I'll help her out with her work (she's a primary teacher so she has to make loads of activities/resources, and I quite like laminating stuff), other times I'll watch a film, skype with people, don't usually go out on a Monday 'cos nowhere is that good (normally Tuesday/Thursday/Friday).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending