The Student Room Group

If death is inevitable, why bother?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Harolinho
Welcome to Nihilism, people are gonna hate you and supposedly pity you because truly they believe that to believe that nothing is objective and that the world is defined by the individual is some kind of heresy that would apparently doom yourself to a life of apparent pointlessness.

In fact life is pointless, because meaning gives way to meaning and so on, and it is almost always what one does not have that one sees as what is wanted (ethics - an ill man wants health, a poor man wants riches), but ultimately reasoning brings you to a dead end where logic proves itself autonomous, thus defining it's importance and also rejecting the notion that importance is anything but value given by the individual.

But because life is ultimately 'pointless' in the sense it achieves nothing but giving way to more pointlessness, you have much more freedom than people seem to notice. You have the power to give your life the meaning you wish it to have, to fulfill life for yourself and enjoy it.

Life could therefore be considered as full of meaning, if only the meaning is to find your own happiness and make your own preceding choices.

Yes, indeed. When I met Nietzsche, I later met Nihilism and indeed, you are correct on the part of about acquring freedom and how knowing that life is pointless and devoid of meaning actually liberates you.
There is no point but what is the point in being pointless?
Original post by UniversalAutocrat
Yes, indeed. When I met Nietzsche, I later met Nihilism and indeed, you are correct on the part of about acquring freedom and how knowing that life is pointless and devoid of meaning actually liberates you.

I'm glad, I fail to see the logic behind the necessity of a collective reason. A collective reason isn't really concluded by any logical process, it's a construct of the mind and purely that.
Reply 103
Don't you get it?

Look, listen and ask yourself the question below:

Do you know of anything else besides existence (i.e. what you are in now)?

If your answer is no (which I expect it to be, of course!), then such questions are futile. You have found yourself in existence with only limited answers (provided for by science) and no defined purpose (except for an archaic and outdated 'to pass on your genes and survive' purpose). Therefore, I can't see what the problem is. Do anything you want, but be careful to abide by state laws. However, others have gone through this stage and instead decided to live according to created precepts or followed the way of the society in which they find themselves in (e.g working toward a career, a family, holidays, a spouse, a house, car, money etc). Others (such as I) have ascended further and look to the stars and work towards securing funds, status and self-establishment in preparation for the future (technological advancement, space exploration).

I am not good with words so please bear with me if I sound like an utter idiot in this post.

I do understand that the perceived pointlessness of our lives presents us the opportunity to possibly create our own 'purpose' in life. I live by the attitude that I am bound by my own fears and state laws; my own fears stem from my ignorance, which means that I feel that I should strive to acquire more knowledge in order to live my life as free as possible thus creating my own purpose for life. *cautiously expecting arguments against this* As much of the people have expressed here, I feel that the reason to bother with life is because my life will eventually come to an end so I might as well make the most of it while I am still alive.

This thread probably sounds quite useless to you but I enjoy having an insight into other people's views about my silly questions, sometimes I get carried away and ask 'why?' too much - probably confusing myself further and infuriating people :blushing: I probably should stop questioning every single thing but it's too tempting. I apologise for a post that probably doesn't even make sense as a reply - I just wanted to hear about philosophy!
Reply 104
Original post by MereBeing
Why do we feel compelled to live life like it has a purpose? Okay, death could count as purpose, but why bother adhering to rules and being 'good' if our bodies are just going to rot in the ground?

Not to sure if you're making sence? Are you asking why we worry about it? Don't know really human nature, after each b'day I do think about it more as I see myself getting older and older and I think s**** I'm getting closer to the day I die.

If you're asking why we try to be good (in life)? That's because others believe in something more than what we have on earth (me being one of those) you know the afterlife. :smile:
I am not good with words so please bear with me if I sound like an utter idiot in this post.

I do understand that the perceived pointlessness of our lives presents us the opportunity to possibly create our own 'purpose' in life. I live by the attitude that I am bound by my own fears and state laws; my own fears stem from my ignorance, which means that I feel that I should strive to acquire more knowledge in order to live my life as free as possible thus creating my own purpose for life. *cautiously expecting arguments against this* As much of the people have expressed here, I feel that the reason to bother with life is because my life will eventually come to an end so I might as well make the most of it while I am still alive.

This thread probably sounds quite useless to you but I enjoy having an insight into other people's views about my silly questions, sometimes I get carried away and ask 'why?' too much - probably confusing myself further and infuriating people :blushing: I probably should stop questioning every single thing but it's too tempting. I apologise for a post that probably doesn't even make sense as a reply - I just wanted to hear about philosophy!

What exactly do you mean 'bother with life'? What would you want instead - death (unless of course, you knew of some other existence)?

Let me directly encounter your title question - 'If death is inevitable, why bother?'

Again, it is established that death is inevitable. Now, having known that, there are two choices. Live or don't live. With the first choice, you can live your life, whilst believing in comforting beliefs, or live for pleasure, or enjoyment, or according to some precepts or morals or beliefs.

For the latter choice, well, you can always leave existence - but such exits are always physically painful, unless you are able to get a painless exit (which is usually illegal and reserved for official clinics etc).

I mean, what do you mean by 'why bother'? Why bother with life? Surely, because it's the only existence that is known? Some time ago, I was clinging onto life and saying how I wish I could live forever and see all of the future technological advancements and whatnot - however, I became disillusioned. Unless the Race goes through some miraculous technological jumps or AIs aid us in vastly extending longevity (or indeed, some unforseen future encounter with advanced extraterrestrial beings), then I would be merely clinging onto a fantasy. Therefore, I have now just pushed death and its inevitability to one side and am temporarily following society's established purposes and goals (e.g. higher education, working towards a career etc) - Unfortunately, I study a 'worthless' degree (Law) - worthless, in the sense that law will not advance AI technology, or provide avenues to achieve interstellar travel, or enhance the human genetic profile etc etc - I see such degrees that are not sciences, maths, engineering etc etc as 'worthless' (worthless in a cosmological and technological sense etc).
Reply 106
What exactly do you mean 'bother with life'? What would you want instead - death (unless of course, you knew of some other existence)?

Okay so I didn't word my initial question properly; when I say that I will 'bother with life', I mean not to just think that we are going to die anyway so there is no point in doing anything so take it for granted, etc...the usual cheesy answer to the question. I don't believe in religion so I don't believe in an afterlife or anything, if that is what you mean by another existence. (I thought I'd clear this up as you seem to point it out quite a bit.)
Original post by im so academic
I hate, absolutely hate, when people say stuff like that.

It's not my fault that I'm not crap and ugly that no one will love me.

You're only ugly because you say you are. And besides, love doesn't mean sexual love...it can just mean generosity, and kindness, and friendship too, you know?
Reply 108
Actually, nothing in this universe necessarily has a purpose. It just exists and it just happened. It's just that humans can't accept the fact that there is no reason or purpose behind our existence other than chance, so we make ourselves believe in different religions and philosophies so that we don't have to accept the fact that we're here, now, and one day we won't be anymore. And we may not be anywhere else either. We just won't BE. And we don't have some divine purpose. Luckily, we exist now, and one day we'll cease to exist to make room for others like us. So just enjoy it while it lasts, because it's truly beautiful and it'll be gone soon.
Why do we feel compelled to live life like it has a purpose? Okay, death could count as purpose, but why bother adhering to rules and being 'good' if our bodies are just going to rot in the ground?

(I probably sound like an idiot to the philosophers out there but I am intrigued about the responses.)

Easy answer; because it's part of the human condition to feel compelled to live life as though it has a purpose (whether it's simply to allow us to procreate/raise our young or for more supernatural reasons is open to debate). If we didn't have these traits we wouldn't be human and certainly wouldn't be discussing it.

Interesting that you say that death could be a purpose of living...?

My personal opinion is that taking emphasis off of the material and ego leads to clarity.
Reply 110

this is a mentality I have always had, whether I want it or not

I honestly wouldn't care if I died tomorrow, only a basic instinct for survival would make me try to stay alive for as long as possible but really, what does it matter if I die 50 years from now or today?

that is the reality but most people chose to just lie to themselves and try to pretend that some random 'religion' nonsense is the truth which truly baffles me as to how people can even pretend to believe in something without a single shred of evidence, is it desperation? with the mounting stack of evidence that says they are not true, it must require something like desperation to keep people still telling themselves that it is the truth

I used to think that there were 2 main goals of life
- contribute to human race, fuel progress
- be happy, have fun, enjoy it etc

but now I think even they are meaningless, what is the point in human race advancing anyway, a single solar flare or asteroid could wipe out the planet in an instant, we are still a primitive ape-like species, will probably end up attacking the first aliens we meet, it doesn't make any difference to me as an individual anyway

as for being happy, it is obviously preferable to being sad but it still doesn't really matter either way, the only person it matters to or cares about it is youself, and why do you care? because of some random chemical reaction in the brain causes you to
Teh afterlife.
Reply 112
Because what is the point in being sad/miserable/lonely/bored all your life? Besides there are so many things to enjoy in life - like the cloud shaped like an angry bear floating past my window...:tongue:

(I probably sound like an idiot to the philosophers out there but I am intrigued about the responses.)

*cautiously submits thread*

If you are here to reply with the fact that I am being pessimistic, etc...don't worry, you don't have to waste a post as a few already have done it.

I purely created this thread because I was curious about people's attitudes towards life, not because I feel that there is no point to life or to bring anyone down.

To make other people happy:confused:Also,I think that it is very likely that there will be an afterlife of some sort and that afterlife.To add to this,by not adhering to the rules you make your life worse because other people will treat you bad and you could get thrown in prison and since you will inevitably die you must make sure you get the most out of this life at all costs.
Reply 114
I've always thought about this, how in a seemingly endless universe, a single human being can have any importance at all. But what is importance ? If you live your life the best you can, and you change other lives that are around you then surely you have an importance in the life of your fellow man. Just live life, have fun and make as many good memories as you can. I bet it goes quicker than we think. :smile:
Reply 115
Think about this though: if everyone ceased to exist, what would happen? Nothing. Would we be pissed off? No, because we wouldn't exist so we can't be pissed off. I agree with the 'happiness is the meaning of life' thing but if for example I ceased to exist, I wouldn't exist to feel sad that I didn't exist, I wouldn't be able to care about grieving family or anything. I wouldn't know any better.

There really is no point to life, it's just something to pass the time.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Because once you die all that will be left will be the memories that others have of you

Reply 117
Original post by BeccaAnne94
Because once you die all that will be left will be the memories that others have of you

True but if the human race didn't exist to start with there would be no human race to have memories.

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 118
Original post by TomJS
I agree with the 'happiness is the meaning of life' thing but if for example I ceased to exist, I wouldn't exist to feel sad that I didn't exist, I wouldn't be able to care about grieving family or anything. I wouldn't know any better.

There really is no point to life, it's just something to pass the time.

My exact thoughts I guess

except now I don't even see happiness as being particularly very important at all

it is a mere sensation. Chemicals such as dopamine and serotonin are released and you 'feel' more positive

the only person who seems to think this matters is you, it doesn't really make a difference to anyone or anything else

so whether you are happy or not ultimately doesn't matter, it is irrelevant and equally as pointless as everything else
Reply 119
The adventure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending