Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Buying a MacBook Pro. What software do I need?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm buying a 15-inch MacBook Pro next week. I'll be studying BA Textile Design as of September and I wondered if anyone could recommend software that I may need?

Obviously, I'll be getting Office for Mac and I'm thinking of getting some of the Adobe software such as Photoshop and Illustrator, but I don't know what versions would be best?

Lastly, is it worth getting the new MacBooks with retina display, or am I better off with a normal one? Thanks!
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Might be worth waiting until you're at university. They may offer it for free or at a reduced price. The Adobe software is fairly expensive. They'll also know what's useful and what isn't.
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by antipathyx)
    I'm buying a 15-inch MacBook Pro next week. I'll be studying BA Textile Design as of September and I wondered if anyone could recommend software that I may need?

Obviously, I'll be getting Office for Mac and I'm thinking of getting some of the Adobe software such as Photoshop and Illustrator, but I don't know what versions would be best?

Lastly, is it worth getting the new MacBooks with retina display, or am I better off with a normal one? Thanks!
    Yeah as the other guy said, once your at uni, you can use your id for a 15% discount.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Yeah as the other guy said, once your at uni, you can use your id for a 15% discount.
    I didn't think of this but good point, buy the macbook pro when you get to uni. You get a 15% discount at uni as Iqbal said.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help! I'll wait until I'm at uni to get the software. I've clarified with my nearest Apple store, I can already qualify for the 15% student discount with my university confirmation letter from UCAS, stating that I hold an unconditional offer.
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexs2602)
    I didn't think of this but good point, buy the macbook pro when you get to uni. You get a 15% discount at uni as Iqbal said.
    u were talking about the software, thought u were talking about the apple discount
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    u were talking about the software, thought u were talking about the apple discount
    Yeah, I was talking about the software. I've never used the discounts but I know you can get discounted microsoft software.

http://www.software4students.co.uk/t...graphic-design

Wow, CS6 Extended for only £190! University may still have offers, but either way that's a great price.
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexs2602)
    Yeah, I was talking about the software. I've never used the discounts but I know you can get discounted microsoft software.

http://www.software4students.co.uk/t...graphic-design

Wow, CS6 Extended for only £190! University may still have offers, but either way that's a great price.
    Some uni departments give it for free if it's a requirement and you can't afford it, or you can ask for support
    • 66 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by antipathyx)

Obviously, I'll be getting Office for Mac

Pages etc are better than office for mac
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I think the best thing I've read for someone starting out with OSX is this. It was posted on reddit a while back and there's plenty more that people commented with. Yeah, its gonna take you a little while to wade through, but between those two links you'll have literally everything you need and it really is an excellent resource - even for someone who has been using a Mac for a long time.

(Original post by TenOfThem)
    Pages etc are better than office for mac
    +1 to that.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 22, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.