The Student Room Group

Clearing and Universities

I applied to Oxford Brookes as my insurance choice. I got lower grades than expected and I will be going into Clearing. I have my firm already tracked as unsuccessful, and I am waiting for Brookes to say so too. The thing is that I e-mailed the university a couple of times during the last year because I had some questions, and it took 3 months for the first e-mail to be answered and 2 months for the second. Now I need both my choices to give me an answer so that I can get my clearing number (my firm replied 2 weeks ago) and I am afraid that Oxford Brookes will take once again aaaaaages to say whatever it has to say, therefore I might get my number too late and miss the vacancies I'm hoping to get into.

Would you call the university? would you wait? I'm just afraid that because of Brookes slowness I might get into clearing too late.
Reply 1
Why don't you call them? You could even ask if they would take you anyway? I'm sure they'll expect you to call them, and that way you'll get an answer. Anyway, if you've decided you're not going there you've nothing to lose, surely? Sorry about the results :frown:
Reply 2
Well, theyre isnt a huge rush as of yet as clearing doesnt open until the 16th. Sorry about the results :/
Reply 3
Thanks guys :biggrin: I guess I will have to call them.

Original post by Dbrown18
Well, theyre isnt a huge rush as of yet as clearing doesnt open until the 16th. Sorry about the results :/

Clearing doesn't open until the 16th? of August? and what about Extra? I've read about them but I still don't get the difference...
Reply 4
Original post by Nunnally
Thanks guys :biggrin: I guess I will have to call them.

Clearing doesn't open until the 16th? of August? and what about Extra? I've read about them but I still don't get the difference...

Extra is only allowed when you aren't given offers first time round, the date for that has passed as I recall.
So your in clearing........depending on your course quiote a few decent uni's should show up.
Reply 5
Original post by Iqbal007
Extra is only allowed when you aren't given offers first time round, the date for that has passed as I recall.
So your in clearing........depending on your course quiote a few decent uni's should show up.

Ah! I see, that makes more sense. So Clearing starts on the 16th of August? Someone told me it was on July...
Ah! I see, that makes more sense. So Clearing starts on the 16th of August? Someone told me it was on July...

Technically it starts in July, yes. In practice you'll struggle to find a Clearing place before August 16th as unis won't know how many vacancies they have on courses and therefore whether or not the course will be in Clearing.
Reply 7

The mod is right............because A-levels aren't out yet whom make up quite a very large proportion of applicants.
Phone Oxford Brookes.

Ask for the name and job title of who you speak to and WRITE IT DOWN along with the date and time you called.

Ask them whether they're going to accept you with lower grades.

If they say no then ask when they will send that decision to UCAS.
If they say yes then ask when they will send that decision to UCAS.
If they say "we don't know yet we're going to wait and see how people did in their A levels" then it's up to you whether you want to be kept hanging on until then. Note that if you agree to them keeping you waiting then they *could* keep you waiting all through results week and beyond (so while clearing places are being taken up by other people).

If you want to be rejected by them so that you go into Clearing and they are dragging their feet then phone UCAS and tell them that OXBrooke have told you that you're going to be rejected but haven't put it through yet. UCAS will then give OxBrookes a couple of days to protest before they reject you on behalf of OxBrookes and put you into Clearing.
Reply 9
I did this last year. You could have secured a spot in Extra, but the deadlin was a month ago. You're going to have to wait for Clearing
Reply 10
Super done.

Thanks guys for your advice :smile:
Reply 11
i got 37 points for IB. miss my insurance and firm. what could i do before A Level

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending