Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

main roads

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    when did you start on the main roads when learning to drive? my instructor is letting me free lmao on my 3rd lesson dont know if im ready as weve only been driving up and down a road which has minimal traffic on it.... and he said on my 4th lesson he wont be driving what so ever so from my house & back ill be doing ALL the driving, does this sound about right?
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sounds right to me. Youll be nervous but itll be fine
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Much later on than my 3rd lesson - I don't think I had even managed to turn corners properly by then.

When you say main road, what do you mean exactly? A busy residential road?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well I've learnt how to do junctions go round mini roundabouts clutch ect ect I've got the hang off most things the road will be going on has two big roundabouts they have two lanes and then it's straight roads and yes there will be traffic

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james1211)
    Sounds right to me. Youll be nervous but itll be fine
    thanks

• 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just remember the instructor has a brake pedal too
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james1211)
    Just remember the instructor has a brake pedal too
    Haha that's what keeps me calm when driving I'm not a panicky driver but tend to rush what im doing

• 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    On my first lesson (2 hours) I did quite side roads. On my second lesson (2 hours again) I did main roads and roundabouts and I drove home (He said I was the first person who has driven home on their second lesson, so I was doing well :P) so yeah, that's about right.

Don't worry about traffic. I was worried at first, but it's not that bad. Go at the speed you are comfortable with and just ignore the other cars. They will overtake even if you are at the limit because we have 'L' plates on If you instructor tells you to speed up, then do it. He obviously feels comfortable enough to let you. The only time you have to react to traffic is if you are changing lane or the car in front is turning or slowing down.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by youcanhumpmyleg)
    when did you start on the main roads when learning to drive? my instructor is letting me free lmao on my 3rd lesson dont know if im ready as weve only been driving up and down a road which has minimal traffic on it.... and he said on my 4th lesson he wont be driving what so ever so from my house & back ill be doing ALL the driving, does this sound about right?
    My first ever lesson was 2 hours and at the end I did this route back to my home:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr...p=1&sz=17&z=13

So mainly 40mph roads but with a little bit of 50 thrown in, and all very busy roads.

Coped with it all without a problem, with the only real mistake being stalling it a couple of times pulling away from traffic lights.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Arr cool thanks guys ! The only thing I struggle with is when I'm coming to a junction and u brake but not to a stop just to crawl I keep forgetting if the clutch is involved ?! Might sound really dumb but that's the only thing in worried about. !

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sounds about right my younger brother had his 2nd hour lesson this week and instructor got him to drive home and said next lesson he would be driving to the location.

• 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I drove home on the second lesson, on third I did all the driving but I was very nervous and often stalled, on the fourth lesson I built confidence while doing all the driving...I can now start, stop, and turn pretty confidently
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm learning to drive and as I live in MK, driving on the main roads means ROUNDABOUTS! Lots and lots of them. So I wasn't on the main roads until about 7 or 8 hours, as he wanted me to master turning and junctions/stopping for traffic.
    • 55 followers

ReputationRep:
    I only just got on to main roads, at my 8-9 hours but I kind of live in a busy area and when I did get to go on main roads it was driving to the next town, traffic lights roundabouts and hills and bridges all thrown in but it was super fun
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Everyone is different, so what would be right for you may not be right for anyone else. Making comparisons with what others do (or say that they do) can be counter productive. I would encourage you to discuss this with your instructor in the first instance and be guided by them, remember if you don't feel confident with what they propose you can always build up to this skill, your lesson plans and objectives should be fexible enough to allow for this.

one to one

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 16, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE English mock revision

Revise together & check out past papers

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered learning to drive

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.