The Student Room Group

Studying MBChB in CUHK (6 Years) need infos

Hi guys I was recently offered admission to 6-year MBChB at Chinese University of Hong Kong.

I am quite worried about the 1st year of medical school because I did not take biology when I studied International Baccalaureate.

I heard that many things learnt in IB biology becomes irrelevant in med school. Is that true?

Does anyone have any tips for the 6-year MBChB course? Do we still dissect in the first year? Is it a stretched 5-year course or a foundation year + 5 year?

Replies appreciated thanks :biggrin:
Reply 1
Original post by georgekwok
Hi guys I was recently offered admission to 6-year MBChB at Chinese University of Hong Kong.

I am quite worried about the 1st year of medical school because I did not take biology when I studied International Baccalaureate.

I heard that many things learnt in IB biology becomes irrelevant in med school. Is that true?

Does anyone have any tips for the 6-year MBChB course? Do we still dissect in the first year? Is it a stretched 5-year course or a foundation year + 5 year?

Replies appreciated thanks :biggrin:

This is a foundation year + 5 if I'm not mistaken, which may have been due to the lack of biology at IB. CUHK medics definitely do dissection in their first year, however, the foundation year is for people who have not taken Chemistry or Biology and will place a greater focus on the sciences. I may be wrong about the foundation course as I don't personally know anyone who took it.

A lot of bio does become irrelevant at medical school, this is the same for A levels, Pre Us etc.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
thanks for the infos! well appreciated!!
Reply 3
Knowing some biology helps. As for knowing Physics, Chemistry, and Organic chemistry prior to medical school is of little help. However, the US medical schools expect you to know all of it even though you don't really use the latter sciences much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending