The Student Room Group

Cinema shooting: easy to do and could be more frequent.

http://www.salon.com/2012/07/20/why_arent_there_more_auroras/

"Anybody in this country who wants to kill a lot of people in a crowded public space can do so fairly easily"

Wow, interesting article regarding the shooting in america, and the fact it could be happening everyday and its easy to do.

Whats your thoughts on this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My thoughts are that it is easy to do.
I find it amazing it is considered news.

With the amount of bullets there are in America, this kinda thing should be as normal as the tides going in and out.
Reply 3
Whether its easy to do or not isn't the point.. (though I agree its hardly news) it takes a deranged mofo to do something so sadistic.
Reply 4
Original post by Michaelj
Whether its easy to do or not isn't the point.. (though I agree its hardly news) it takes a deranged mofo to do something so sadistic.

Actually, you don't need to be deranged it seems, just a loner. That implicates half of TSR :tongue:
Reply 5
Yep, it is easy. Yet the Americans will never give up their beloved guns, no matter how much bloodshed they cause.
Reply 6
It's easy here too if people wanted to do it. And I don't get why they're making a huge deal of Olympic security either. If a terrorist wanted to blow up a packed stadium they could just choose any Saturday afternoon Premier League game.
I can see the amount of news coverage that this story has gained encouraging other copy cat cinema shootings.
Reply 8
surprised that more people haven't figured this out

even in this country theres no stopping anyone from taking a kitchen knife and going wild in any crowded place
Reply 9
Yep, clearly the guns are the problem.

Anti-gun people :rolleyes:
Reply 10
Original post by Sephiroth
It's easy here too if people wanted to do it. And I don't get why they're making a huge deal of Olympic security either. If a terrorist wanted to blow up a packed stadium they could just choose any Saturday afternoon Premier League game.

High profile international figures at the Olympics.
I don't think that banning weapons in America will stop things like this from happening, if America does make personal firearm ownership illegal, then there'll be a black market for guns, just like there was a black market for alcohol in the 1920s, when America made alcohol illegal.

If somebody really wants to carry out something like this, then it won't be too hard to acquire firearms; just look at some of the gangs in London or Manchester.

Except the world is watching the Olympics, the world doesn't watch Premier League games; terrorists have fetishes for world centre stages, world centres, economic hotspots and vital transport systems (World Trade Centre, London Underground etc..)

A lot of terrorists have connections to terrorist groups, and that's what makes it so relatively easy for intelligence agencies to have them under their radar. The problem starts to arise when terrorists don't have any affiliations with any group or any other terrorist; the problem is when they're lone terrorists, and these terrorists are hard for intelligence agencies to have under a radar...the heavy security is there to watch out for them, lone terrorists are a bitch.
Original post by ESPORTIVA
http://www.salon.com/2012/07/20/why_arent_there_more_auroras/

"Anybody in this country who wants to kill a lot of people in a crowded public space can do so fairly easily"

Wow, interesting article regarding the shooting in america, and the fact it could be happening everyday and its easy to do.

Whats your thoughts on this?

What scaremongering, just because its easy to do doesnt mean people are going to start doing it

what is it with americans and fictional movie characters? it wasnt long ago some i suspect twilight freak thought he was a vampire and tried to 'feed' on a woman
Reply 14
No ****, sherlock. People can do a lot of things but they don't because it's - you know - frowned upon.
Reply 15
easy to do, hard to get away with, impossible to repair
Yeah no kidding, if I was insane enough I could purchase a firearm enter a cinema and let loose. But what stops most people from doing that even if they wanted to?
Reply 17
I think installing Powerful magnets inside cinema's and public places is the way forward.
Reply 18
Original post by Politricks
Except the world is watching the Olympics, the world doesn't watch Premier League games

Tbf, yes they do. Some Premier League games have viewing figures approaching half a billion.

Original post by Classical Liberal
With the amount of bullets there are in America, this kinda thing should be as normal as the tides going in and out.

Except that the vast vast vast majority of people over there are perfectly normal individuals. Why would they turn psycho just because they can get their hands on some weaponry? I've used rifles and handguns for the last decade and a half... Not been on any shooting rampages. Do you think US citizens are somehow more homicidal by nature?

For the Olympics though there'll be people from all different countries and well-known people there too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending