The Student Room Group

SQA Results Day 07/08/2012

Scroll to see replies

I'm so nervous! Waiting for Higher French, English, Maths, Music and Business Management. Hoping for AAABB but will be okay with anything from BBBB up. And looking at the marking instructions doesn't help!
Original post by mysqa
So, pop-quiz. How are you planning on opening your results - with family? With friends? Alone!?

Hopefully alone this year. Which was my plan last year but I got the text early and my friend was over. And the year before but I got an email instead of a text, and my friend was there. :lol: My brother wants me to open his though.
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
I've noticed that since I got an unconditional, I no longer care about my exam results this year. :tongue:

Unconditionals are great, except when it comes to motivation. Before exams I was just like "Yeah, I'll go out, have fun..." ended up cramming furiously the morning before so I'm rather sceptical about how well I've done in these exams. :biggrin:
Reply 103
Waiting for AH Chemistry, Biology and Maths. Just need a C in chemistry and I'm sorted!!!

I am ****ting myself though.
Original post by mysqa
So, pop-quiz. How are you planning on opening your results - with family? With friends? Alone!?

I'm staying with a friend about two hours away from home on results day so hopefully alone, bit awkward if I want to banish myself to my room and cry for a day when I get my email if they're awful though...
Original post by -Neuro-
Lucky for some..........

I totally forgot about pending exam results till I saw this thread. Now I'm nervous, I'm not even sure why :s-smilie: Another reason to thank TSR.

I have a question. How unpredictable are Higher English results. A lot if people are saying they can't tell how well they are going to do. To what extent is this true? What tips do any of you have to make sure that you know and will come out with an A?

Higher English is unpredictable as ****. For my year, the threshold for an A was 65% or something like that. It's due to the subjective nature of marking. I was always top of the year for Close Reading in English, then when it came to exam time I got 51%-ish in that section, despite executing the exact same strategy that had been working for me all year round.

I got 25/25 and 23/25 for essays, though. So that pulled me up enough to get an A.

The reason why I think this is unpredictable: I thought I had done amazing on the Close Reading but **** on the essays (because the questions just didn't suit my texts at all), but oh, look at that. :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 106
Original post by Direct15
I'm finding it hard to find other females who are applying for engineering(entry 2013) don't get me wrong I don't mind males but it would be nice to have maybe one or two other females in lectures :frown:

I am still contemplating engineering (electronics and electrical), but I'm pretty set on physics. I went to the open day at Glasgow Uni in June and was surprised at how many girls attended the subject talk for electronics and electrical, and the only person I am aware of in my year applying for engineering at all is a girl (for aeronautics), if that helps?

I don't know how I feel about entering a male dominated course, but quite a large proportion of the students at the physics part of the glasgow open day were female, and really everyone there was just lovely. I don't know wether I want to go to glasgow but the people there were just so friendly and welcoming, especially at physics!
Reply 107
Original post by mysqa

Alone. I am still signed up to get my results texted to me, which, correct me if I am wrong, happens at about nine or ten o'clock? As it is a weekday my parents will be working, and really I'd just rather open them myself anyway! :smile:
Im waking up, and will be opening the text in bed! After looking at advanced biology marking scheme though, im sceptical that I have got the B i wish for after a year of complete dedication and studying.. a C is all i need for Uni but a B would commend my effort! Also, higher english, AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I want to know what i got, but it is just one thing that is so subjective natured when it comes to marking, who knows! Hoping the rest of the marking schemes are uploaded soon however!
Reply 109
Original post by ..lauren
I am still contemplating engineering (electronics and electrical), but I'm pretty set on physics. I went to the open day at Glasgow Uni in June and was surprised at how many girls attended the subject talk for electronics and electrical, and the only person I am aware of in my year applying for engineering at all is a girl (for aeronautics), if that helps?

I don't know how I feel about entering a male dominated course, but quite a large proportion of the students at the physics part of the glasgow open day were female, and really everyone there was just lovely. I don't know wether I want to go to glasgow but the people there were just so friendly and welcoming, especially at physics!

I want to join the aeronautic sector of engineering and don't mind entering a male dominated subject :smile: my adv physics has me and another girl.

I would like to go the open days but the head of maths is very against missing time off her subject :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 110
Alone :biggrin: then tell my parents but I hate it when you don't want to talk about what you got and your mum keeps asking

Original post by NR09
Waiting for AH Chemistry, Biology and Maths. Just need a C in chemistry and I'm sorted!!!

I am ****ting myself though.

I hated the Chemistry exam. I spent about an hour walking around in the rain and hail because I didn't want to go home. :lol:
Original post by mysqa

I'll first get my results and look at them alone! But for the actual opening of the letter, I'll be with family. It will be good to know if I've terribly before this as it will save me a lot of disappointed tears.
Reply 113
Original post by Direct15
I want to join the aeronautic sector of engineering and don't mind entering a male dominated subject :smile: my adv physics has me and another girl.

I would like to go the open days but the head of maths is very against missing time off her subject :biggrin:

I am the only girl in my adv physics class, and the only girl ever to do adv physics in my school!

I went to the glasgow and edinburgh open days in June because we weren't really doing anything THAT important in school, and I think I will go to St Andrews in October, as one of their visiting days falls on the october week.
Reply 114
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
I hated the Chemistry exam. I spent about an hour walking around in the rain and hail because I didn't want to go home. :lol:

Same here. It was one of those exams where everyone gets out, find out the answers everyone else got and realise that nobody got the same answer.

A C isn't too much to ask for though is it?
Reply 115
Original post by ..lauren
I am the only girl in my adv physics class, and the only girl ever to do adv physics in my school!

I went to the glasgow and edinburgh open days in June because we weren't really doing anything THAT important in school, and I think I will go to St Andrews in October, as one of their visiting days falls on the october week.

St Andrews don't do engineering - what a shame - and also Glasgow and Strathclyde are the only two unis to offer aeronautics in Scotland.

I actually enjoy being in classes with males as I feel personally they are easier to talk to than women

Reply 116
Original post by pepperss
Marking instructions are up guys :frown: For highers at least. You have to use control + F like has been said previously and search '2012' , but you can open the files now

http://www.sqa.org.uk/pastpapers/findpastpaper.htm

I've only checked English so far so they may not all be uploaded

English seems to be the only one of my subjects with marking scheme. Chemistry, Human Bio, Physics and Maths are not up yet I don't think. To be honest though, looking at the marking scheme will probably make no difference at all as I've pretty much forgotten everything I wrote! :tongue:
Reply 117
Really hoping i passed English, don't want to re-sit it:frown:
Are the marking instructions meant to be up yet? :eek::eek:
Original post by youjustburnkid
Are the marking instructions meant to be up yet? :eek::eek:

I don't think so, maybe it's a mistake? none of my other subjects (chem/bio/maths/history) seem to be up yet.

Lauren

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending