The Student Room Group

What to study?

I'm sure this question comes up a lot so I'm sorry but I'm really not sure what to study at Uni and I have to apply this year! Does anyone know any good quizzes or similar methods to help me choose? Please feel free to ask any questions, I need help as my family(god love them) are useless!

Scroll to see replies

What subjects are you interested in and what are you currently studying?

Plus, the fact that you would use a generic quiz to help you decide your future is slightly worrying...
Reply 2
Make sure you pick something you're interested in. Earning a degree is difficult (and somewhat pointless) if you don't enjoy the majority of what you're doing for 3 years.
If you don't know what you want to study then why do you want to go to uni?
Original post by I have a question
What subjects are you interested in and what are you currently studying?

Plus, the fact that you would use a generic quiz to help you decide your future is slightly worrying...

I'm studying History, German, Chemistry and Biology. I enjoy history, books, movies, talking and writing. I was just hoping the quiz could give me some ideas! :smile: x

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 5
Take a gap year, I took two before realising what I wanted to study - no point in going into something half arsed and quitting half way through.
Reply 6
I think choosing your degree on the basis of quiz results won't really help. I think you need to consider what subjects you enjoy and are good at. What you are interested career wise and if you are unsure for both try ordering some uni prospectuses and look at the courses they offer and the modules.

You have plenty of time to decide, just don't rush into a decision or be influenced by friends or family- it's your choice completely. At the end of the day, the worst thing is to do a degree you hate, especially as you are paying £27,000 for it!

Maybe try going on the ucas course search as well? At my sixth form, we had some local unis have stalls allowing us to see the courses on offer- maybe your college does something similar? because that was very helpful in making my decision.
Reply 7
You should study neuroscience. That guy that walked into a cinema and killed everyone also studied that.
Original post by KMLeeson
I'm studying History, German, Chemistry and Biology. I enjoy history, books, movies, talking and writing. I was just hoping the quiz could give me some ideas! :smile: x

Ah right. & Nice subjects, why haven't you looked into History?

Plus do you have any future career's in mind which may require a specific degree?
Original post by Komatic
You should study neuroscience. That guy that walked into a cinema and killed everyone also studied that.

I shouldn't find this funny... see you in hell. :rolleyes:
Reply 10
I shouldn't find this funny... see you in hell. :rolleyes:

Considering your the one that found it funny....
Ill wave at you from heaven... :ssaw:
Ah right. & Nice subjects, why haven't you looked into History?

Plus do you have any future career's in mind which may require a specific degree?

I have looked into History, I just worry that other than teaching there isn't really many career options that will put it into practice, that is why I was thinking about maybe joint honours but i'm still not sure what with.

Not really, I have looked into things like becoming a Lawyer or Journalist but i'm still not sure, i'm generally not that decisive!
Original post by jojayne
I think choosing your degree on the basis of quiz results won't really help. I think you need to consider what subjects you enjoy and are good at. What you are interested career wise and if you are unsure for both try ordering some uni prospectuses and look at the courses they offer and the modules.

You have plenty of time to decide, just don't rush into a decision or be influenced by friends or family- it's your choice completely. At the end of the day, the worst thing is to do a degree you hate, especially as you are paying £27,000 for it!

Maybe try going on the ucas course search as well? At my sixth form, we had some local unis have stalls allowing us to see the courses on offer- maybe your college does something similar? because that was very helpful in making my decision.

Thank you for the advice, i'll look into it. As for my sixth form it's a first year sixth form so it's pretty useless in anything other than teaching us the subjects.
I have looked into History, I just worry that other than teaching there isn't really many career options that will put it into practice, that is why I was thinking about maybe joint honours but i'm still not sure what with.

Not really, I have looked into things like becoming a Lawyer or Journalist but i'm still not sure, i'm generally not that decisive!

Well, to be fair you're kind of right... there isn't that much.

As other posters have mentioned, you've got time to think over it and make a decision. No need to rush :smile:
Original post by Komatic
Considering your the one that found it funny....
Ill wave at you from heaven... :ssaw:

:argh:
Reply 15
I'm sure this question comes up a lot so I'm sorry but I'm really not sure what to study at Uni and I have to apply this year! Does anyone know any good quizzes or similar methods to help me choose? Please feel free to ask any questions, I need help as my family(god love them) are useless!

what are your AS level subjects and what do you plan on dropping?
Reply 16
Google Stamford Test. I found it very helpful.

Think about what subjects you enjoy at school, research degree programmes and their content, ask current/past students for some objective information i.e. typical weekly routine, type of work and draw your own conclusions from it, look at the careers they could lead to, read some introductory books.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by kaypc
what are your AS level subjects and what do you plan on dropping?

History, German, Biology and Chemistry. I'm going to try and do all 4 but if I need to I'll drop Chemistry. :smile:

Reply 18
Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?
Original post by No Man
Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?

Working in America or Canada, I know where but what is harder!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending