The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The answer is very subjective and depends entirely on the perspective; while some people on this forum may say that it doesn't look cheap, there are also many who probably do believe that it's cheap, perhaps it's because the outfit reveals too much skin. I'm sorry if I offended you in any way.
I just turned 18 a couple of weeks ago and on Friday night went to a club for the 1st time with 2 other friends, both new to it too. Before going out I was really stuck for what to wear as I don't really own any 'clubbing clothes' but decided on a short (but not like mega tight/tiny dress) from topshop and high platforms. I did my makeup more than what I usually wear and thought I looked quite dressed up but when I got there I couldnt believe how different I was dressed to most other people! It felt like almost every girl was wearing tiny tight dresses and loads of makeup with their hair so styled too. But thats just not my style so it didn't really bother me that I wasn't dressed the same and don't plan to go buy other clothes for next weekend.

I think people just dress what they feel best in be it a short bodycon dress, shorts and a top or a floaty skirt :smile:!
Reply 22

i would say that is cheap/easy looking. it certainly doesnt give off the vibe that you dont want attention, lets put it that way. that dress barely covers your bum, its very tight/figure-hugging, its bright red, it shows a bit of cleavage (although you could show a lot more), its quite low at the back and you can see your bra straps. judging by your first post in this thread, i think you actively go for the cheap/easy/slutty look to try and get attention from guys. especially guys with girls, you actively try to gain their attention, to spite these girls with them. you know full well what you are doing.

if you didnt want to dress cheap and easy, you would have a baggier dress, maybe a darker colour, coming down much closer to your knees with less/no cleavage on display.
(edited 11 years ago)
girls feel confident by getting attention (like anyone else), hence they wear such clothes.
I don't believe so. I think they think what they're wearing looks good, but in reality, it actually looks cheap and/or easy. The sheer amount of women dressing this way on the weekend surely must confirm this.

Whilst I'd definitely look at a woman dressed that way, she most certainly could not be called classy, or well-attired. That is a cheap, fairly slutty look.
(edited 11 years ago)
I don't think I dress trashy, but I do wear short shorts/skirts. This is mainly because I like my legs and would rather have them out than my stomach/cleavage. To be honest, I dress mainly for myself/other girls....

If a girl is wearing clothes that show flesh but isn't orange/plastered in makeup and generally has a good figure I think she can get away with it more. The same goes to shorter girls as well, it looks more cute than slutty IMO.
Reply 26
Original post by Jessica20
Some girls do look cheap because they come from low income families and work at dead-end jobs with no education past secondary school.

Jesus Christ you're a c*nt.
Reply 27
I generally wear short but not too short dresses that have very high necks, in a sort of 60s style. The most daring dress I have is one where it is completely backless, but again has a really high neck.

I think a lot of girls need to go by the rule of, if your legs/bum are out, put away your boobs! and vice versa
Reply 28
I do consciously make an effort to wear something quite short and to wear lots of make-up on a night out, but not to look cheap or easy. I find it funny that you can consider it that when I think of how many girls I know who dress like that to go clubbing and how few of them would actually do anything at all with a random fit guy even if they were drunk. I even know one who wouldn't kiss her boyfriend for the first month never mind go off with some random stranger. It's only a cheap and easy look if your underwear is literally showing or it's obvious that you're not wearing any.

As for why I dress like this it's because that is what you wear on a night out clubbing if you're a girl, just like I wore a full-length ballgown for my school prom because that is what you wear to a prom if you're a girl. I do feel confident dressed like that because the make-up covers my dark circles, spots and redness whilst my tights make my legs look better and the dress and heels make them look longer and thinner.

There are several reasons why I don't dress like this all the time. For a start it's too dressed up for everyday just like a guy wouldn't wear a suit everywhere he went. I'd also feel self-conscious if I was the only one dressed like that and everyone else was covered up in jeans etc. Then there's the time it takes and having to get up to do that every morning before I leave the house. It'd also be pretty cold as on a night out the clubs are really warm when they're packed so when you go outside it's refreshing, but for everyday you'd be freezing. I'd be spending more of my money on make-up as I'd go through it quicker and how would I improve my look for nights out and special occasions if that was my casual day look?
Reply 29
Basics, you see others going out like that, if you're weak minded you copy and follow to fit in and also attract males.

This is why 'this is Essex' and silly shows like that are becoming popular. You learn and copy.
Reply 30
It's a ritual. Any behaviour that removes it further from the outside world makes it more compelling for the people inside. People engage in these sorts of things, whether it's religion, clubbing, bridge, either for escapism or to feel like they're different/better/less dull than the average simpleton. So the more different it is to real life the better.

So yeah, girls do dress sluttier for a night on the tiles, just as the guys like to pretend they're infinitely rich/the next James Bond. It's just neither of them knows they're doing it, or they construct a belief that allows it. Even the sex is inconsequential, it's all about social standing.
Original post by Bobbler
I generally wear short but not too short dresses that have very high necks, in a sort of 60s style. The most daring dress I have is one where it is completely backless, but again has a really high neck.

I think a lot of girls need to go by the rule of, if your legs/bum are out, put away your boobs! and vice versa

This. It is okay to wear a short skirt as long as the rest of you is covered up.

Though I don't think you should wear anything so short that your bum cheeks are hanging out. I went out on Friday in a dip-hem skirt (short at the front, long at the back) with quite a tight top and I felt comfortable because my legs were out but I wasn't showing cleavage or ass..
I think a girl who is classy will look classy in a short skirt or with cleavage showing because it is more about the vibe a person gives off.
Reply 32
Original post by Movember
i would say that is cheap/easy looking. it certainly doesnt give off the vibe that you dont want attention, lets put it that way. that dress barely covers your bum, its very tight/figure-hugging, its bright red, it shows a bit of cleavage (although you could show a lot more), its quite low at the back and you can see your bra straps. judging by your first post in this thread, i think you actively go for the cheap/easy/slutty look to try and get attention from guys. especially guys with girls, you actively try to gain their attention, to spite these girls with them. you know full well what you are doing.

if you didnt want to dress cheap and easy, you would have a baggier dress, maybe a darker colour, coming down much closer to your knees with less/no cleavage on display.

Original post by philistine
Whilst I'd definitely look at a woman dressed that way, she most certainly could not be called classy, or well-attired. That is a cheap, fairly slutty look.

Would something like this be more appropriate?

The bold sounds like you're describing a dress to buy for your Mum or possibly Nanna.
Reply 33
Original post by Pixxy_
This. It is okay to wear a short skirt as long as the rest of you is covered up.

Though I don't think you should wear anything so short that your bum cheeks are hanging out. I went out on Friday in a dip-hem skirt (short at the front, long at the back) with quite a tight top and I felt comfortable because my legs were out but I wasn't showing cleavage or ass..
I think a girl who is classy will look classy in a short skirt or with cleavage showing because it is more about the vibe a person gives off.

by bum out I meant like hot pants or something, even then I'm not enamoured by that sort of thing anyway haha!
I LOVE dip-hem skirts btw!!!
Original post by StacFace
#

Don't be so bloody stupid. A woman can look incredibly sexy and ooze with class without showing even a bit of flesh (not that I'm saying showing flesh is bad-- of course it isn't).

It seems many women today, yourself included, think that the more flesh one exposes, the sexier they are. This couldn't be further from the truth.
Reply 35
OP, you make a good point.

On my first night out, which happened to be in Liverpool I wore jeans and a nice top, low cut. I pulled 2/3 guys. I liked the attention I got and had a great night dancing with some hot guys. I hadn't been to a club before and didn't know if my attire was appropriate. when I got there, I realised I was the only girl in jeans. I felt like I wasn't dressed up enough. most of the girls were wearing heavy make up, tight short dresses showing ample cleavage. I was dressed quite modest in comparison. After that I started dressing more provocatively, but not full on sluttily. I usually wear a tight short skirt, which is very figure hugging. It covers my bum and with that I wear a low cut simple top. I wear tights too, which is rare in Liverpool on a night out. I am still fairly modest compared to other girls who wear a lot less. But I dress this way because I love the attention I get. I love the way guys look at me on nights out. I get the attention that I usually don't get during the day so it's nice to just dress up and be a different person for a night. I don't dress this way during the day because I am quite happy being invisible and normal during the day because I am not the most confident around guys but sometimes it's nice to be someone else for a night and feel more confident.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 36
I agree somewhat. Although I think people are too quick to judge; I'd reckon a lot of the girls dressed in attire that makes them appear "cheap/easy" are just bowing to social pressure more than anything else. It's undeniable that if you dress like that you get attention, and if we're honest most people crave that.
I think it's sad but true that a lot of girls think they have to dress like this to get attention from, say, the guy they like. Society tells us that this look is what's attractive so there's not much we can do about it.

I personally attempt not to dress in such a way at all. (Although it's easier for me partly because I have a very flat figure and I'm only 5'2 so very few dresses look 'too short' on me.:colonhash:)
I don't have any intention of changing the way I dress anyway. I've had no complaints so far and I'm not going to wear something that I don't like as much, just so more people will notice me. As for make-up, I just make my eyeshadow more dramatic and that's it.

THIS is a (completely undoctored! :tongue:) picture of the sorta thing I'd normally wear. I wear tights and a coat when it's cold. Other people may scoff and the coat gets annoying, but there's no way I'm sacrificing being warm in the middle of December in Wales!:tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by philistine
Don't be so bloody stupid. A woman can look incredibly sexy and ooze with class without showing even a bit of flesh (not that I'm saying showing flesh is bad-- of course it isn't).

It seems many women today, yourself included, think that the more flesh one exposes, the sexier they are. This couldn't be further from the truth.

Bingo! We have a winner!

Seriously, ladies, get some style. Revealing more doesn't make you sexier, it makes you look sluttier, which is precisely why it draws attention; guys see you as easy potential sex. I'm not saying it makes you a slut, but it does make you look like a slut. That's not a good look.

Hot:

Spoiler

Slutty:

Spoiler

It might amuse you that those "slutty" pictures all came from a Google search of 'clubbing dresses'. :rolleyes:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by hali0112
OP, you make a good point.

On my first night out, which happened to be in Liverpool I wore jeans and a nice top, low cut. I pulled 2/3 guys. I liked the attention I got and had a great night dancing with some hot guys. I hadn't been to a club before and didn't know if my attire was appropriate. when I got there, I realised I was the only girl in jeans. I felt like I wasn't dressed up enough. most of the girls were wearing heavy make up, tight short dresses showing ample cleavage. I was dressed quite modest in comparison. After that I started dressing more provocatively, but not full on sluttily. I usually wear a tight short skirt, which is very figure hugging. It covers my bum and with that I wear a low cut simple top. I wear tights too, which is rare in Liverpool on a night out. I am still fairly modest compared to other girls who wear a lot less. But I dress this way because I love the attention I get. I love the way guys look at me on nights out. I get the attention that I usually don't get during the day so it's nice to just dress up and be a different person for a night. I don't dress this way during the day because I am quite happy being invisible and normal during the day because I am not the most confident around guys but sometimes it's nice to be someone else for a night and feel more confident.

at least you are directly admitting that you do this and you do this because you love the attention. unlike some of the girls who have got defensive. do you wonder what its like for guys? they cant dress provocatively and get the same attention a girl can. for a shy guy, even one who is decent-ish looking, he could go his whole life never getting attention but a girl can slip on a tight dress and its fine for her.
Original post by Dusty12
I agree somewhat. Although I think people are too quick to judge; I'd reckon a lot of the girls dressed in attire that makes them appear "cheap/easy" are just bowing to social pressure more than anything else. It's undeniable that if you dress like that you get attention, and if we're honest most people crave that.
I think it's sad but true that a lot of girls think they have to dress like this to get attention from, say, the guy they like. Society tells us that this look is what's attractive so there's not much we can do about it.

I personally attempt not to dress in such a way at all. (Although it's easier for me partly because I have a very flat figure and I'm only 5'2 so very few dresses look 'too short' on me.:colonhash:)
I don't have any intention of changing the way I dress either. I've had no complaints so far and I'm not going to wear something that I don't like as much, just so more people will notice me. As for make-up, I just make my eyeshadow more dramatic and that's it.

THIS is a (completely undoctored! :tongue:) picture of the sorta thing I'd normally wear. I wear tights and a coat when it's cold. Other people may scoff and the coat gets annoying, but there's no way I'm sacrificing being warm in the middle of December in Wales!:tongue:

Good for you not bowing down to peer pressure! :h: That mystery person in the picture looks much better dressed than many women you see on a night out. :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending