The Student Room Group

26 stone and "beautiful" - but is it healthy to be so heavy?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
What are you on about? No one is ever refused medical attention for being overweight. If you suffer a heart attack or diabetes it doesn't matter whether you are 9 stone or 99 stone you will be treated by the NHS.

Are you sure about that? What about a case that was made public about 6-7 years ago where an elderly Lady was refused an operation for a heart attack because of the risks entailed by her being overweight.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 41
If she's happy then she's happy, who are you to question that? It will fairly obviously affect her health but at the end of the day I'm sure she knows what she's in for. Leave the poor woman be!
if she is happy with being that size, so what? if she would rather find her enjoyment from food than be healthy... then she should go for it... YOLO
regardless of how she feels, it's dangerously unhealthy.
Reply 44
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
What are you on about? No one is ever refused medical attention for being overweight. If you suffer a heart attack or diabetes it doesn't matter whether you are 9 stone or 99 stone you will be treated by the NHS.

Ture - the NHS is free whatever you do to yourself. However, operating on people that size makes the anaesthetic a lot more dangerous, so in the context of surgery, being obese limits the options available for treating illness. As well as probably causing said illness in the first place, of course.
Original post by nexttime

This would be fair if it wasn't a thread specifically about whether this is a good thing or not. She has agreed to (and is no doubt getting paid lots for) being in a daily mail article so obv it is going to be discussed.

What difference does it make? What difference does talking about anything make? Maybe we should jsut sit in silence all day then? If people think this is not a good direction for society to be heading in, then that is up to them. Ultimately the sum of all the opinions expressed DO make a difference - public discussion is how society's opinions are formed.

people can discuss it? i'm not implying the whole like, internet should be shut down or censored or something so that people can't hurt others' feelings or something? I'm just sick of a) the ****ty excuse that they're worried about the health of this person- most people on this thread seem disgusted by her, why should they care whether she dies or not and b) the assumption that one woman, or one beauty pageant for larger/obese women are gonna make our society any more unhealthy than it already is. like, if people actually cared, and actually thought this woman's existence being publicised would contribute to the childhood obesity epidemic, they'd campaign to close down fast food restaurants or something idk. not just go on about her being a fat sow on a student website?
Reply 46
Original post by im so academic
You wouldn't have a beauty pageant specifically for anorexics so why is this any different?

I think that pretty much sums it up. being 26 stone is not just overweight or fat, it is morbidly obese. there is no way you can live a healthy life at that weight
Original post by glelin96
Are you sure about that? What about a case that was made public about 6-7 years ago where an elderly Lady was refused an operation for a heart attack because she was overweight enough that it would entail the operation taking place again.

Well yes someone can be refused surgery because their weight would mean that operation would most likely put their life in more danger than it currently is i.e. the risk of operating is greater than the risk of not operating. But no one is refused as a punishment for being too fat. Also an alternative treatment would be sought, they would still get some sort of medical attention to find a resolution to their ailment.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 48
Isn't she the one who went on x factor like a zillion times and was dreadful?
Reply 49
Original post by doloroushazy
people can discuss it? i'm not implying the whole like, internet should be shut down or censored or something so that people can't hurt others' feelings or something? I'm just sick of a) the ****ty excuse that they're worried about the health of this person- most people on this thread seem disgusted by her, why should they care whether she dies or not and b) the assumption that one woman, or one beauty pageant for larger/obese women are gonna make our society any more unhealthy than it already is. like, if people actually cared, and actually thought this woman's existence being publicised would contribute to the childhood obesity epidemic, they'd campaign to close down fast food restaurants or something idk. not just go on about her being a fat sow on a student website?

a) i think you can care about a strangers health (slightly, transiently) b) most people have just said 'yeah but she is going to die young' which is a fair point to her saying 'but i'm happy'. They probably don't actually care about when she actually dies, it was just an argument and c) societal pressure is definitely a big factor in keeping obesity down, and it just happens that this is how it comes across. I don't think limiting or criticising that achieves anything.

You are right though - just calling people fatty is hardly going to solve the problem. It needs a mixed response of tackling the bad vendors of food and educating on what to do. That is already being done though, to an extent, and wasn't the focus of this thread. Its a trashy thread just asking 'do you agree with this woman' i.e. 'is it acceptable to be morbidly obese'... with the resounding answer being 'no'.

But i'll go ahead and say it: back in the 19th century food was totally unregulated. Vendors used to literally pad foods out with sawdust and rat droppings, prepared it and stored it outside with rats and cockroaches and flies and had no regulation regarding age or whether it was fit to consume at all. We said that was unacceptable and the health of our nation vastly improved. Perhaps it is time we said no to unhealthy foods again, but this time, to foods that poison us with grease, sugar and salt?
(edited 11 years ago)
No.
I hate this pandering to fat people, sure, you may be feeling confident, but try telling that to your heart!

If you feel confident and "great" then how then does it give permission to be socially acceptable to be 26 stone?! :lolwut:
Reply 52
Original post by Bellissima
if she is happy with being that size, so what? if she would rather find her enjoyment from food than be healthy... then she should go for it... YOLO

Yeah, YOLO...but not for very long.
Original post by cfizzle
If she likes who she is then there's nothing to discuss - I'm sure she knows being overweight isn't good for her, but it's her life

Also LOL at the Daily Mail - "Kirstie Mouncey, 18, gets out of breath going up stairs"

I'm a size 8, 8 stones 9 and even I get out of breath going up stairs!

Original post by Bellissima

Ridiculous argument. What about people who are happy being severely underweight/anorexic?

I saw an article in some tabloid waiting in the queue in M&S and it had on the front cover a story about this girl that, prior to going out drinking, would starve herself for two days. She was happy enough with it, but does that make it OK? No, of course not. By the same token, eating ones' self into an early grave is unacceptable too, regardless of how happy the fatty in question is.
Reply 54
If she is happy that way then people should just let her get on with it. Obviously being 26 stone isn't healthy but neither is smoking or drinking and people seem to turn a blind eye to that sort of thing nowadays.
Reply 55
I think that being overweight is not healthy- but neither is being underweight so we need to find a balance were everyone isnt being tormented and bullied for being at a healthy weight, underweight or overweight- like celebrities or people who have eating disorders and then get healthy. The world just isn't morally right at all ... its a shame
Surprised that this comment got 236 up votes

"If she were slim she'd take one look at that ugly boyfriend of hers and dump him. Also, how is she affording all that food. I'm a professional working full time and struggle to feed my family but she's probably single handedly eating as much as all four of us."
Reply 57
Fat bitch. Probably on welfare and expecting us to pay her medical bills when she suffers a heart attack. She's not beautiful. She's a hideous balloon trying to convince herself that it's not her fault, but that society's conception of beauty is the problem. Who does she think she's fooling? It's dangerous to tell other fat people that they're beautiful and that society should accept them for who they are. Give me Kate Thornton any day. :^_^: Seriously, if this whale wants to keep her delusions to herself then fine, but don't burden the rest of us with such garbage. That obese 'pageant organiser' needs a good talking to as well. I'm surprised she even fit through the door.

P.S. Just saw that she's a "childcare worker" (is that what they're calling it these days?). Poor poor kids. They need a carer, not a pig. How is she supposed to react if a 2 year old child runs into the road? She could use her flab to stop the cars I suppose. If she can keep up.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Id and Ego seek
This already exists, but we just refer to it as regular beauty pageants.

Painful ignorance of anorexia there. :rolleyes: So many girls throw around the term anorexic.

Spell it out nice and easy; thin doesn't equal anorexic.

Though I don't doubt you already know what anorexia is.
Original post by SophiaKeuning
Painful ignorance of anorexia there. :rolleyes: So many girls throw around the term anorexic.

Spell it out nice and easy; thin doesn't equal anorexic.

Though I don't doubt you already know what anorexia is.

I was being hyperbolic; of course I know being thin doesn't equate to being anorexic :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest