Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

IB social life / relationships

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know that the life of an investment banker can be crazy. It can lead them to have very little time for themselves.

I was wondering (for people who are investment bankers) how much time they actually have for themselves. And if they have a girlfriend if they have any time for them?

If you don't have a girlfriend is there any chance of you meeting anyone while working such long hours?

Finally what similar roles are less demanding but still gets good pay for investment banks?

Thank you
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Interning in BB IBD this summer. Have a girlfriend, and only really have time to see her on the weekends. Get in at 9am every day and this month have left work most days between 8pm - 11pm (as early as 6pm on Fridays), and have only had to work one weekend and only done one all-nighter so far. Has been pretty much the same for all the other analysts.

But it's summer, so markets are quieter. You obviously work longer hours when its busier, so that one weekend a month may become 2 or 3 weekends (subject to how much work you take on), and at peak times you'll more likely be leaving at 10pm - 1am, rather than 8pm - 11pm.

Though it is a bitch to make plans. This week had made plans to go get dinner with my girlfriend Monday evening after 8, but had to cancel because was in the office till like 11 that night doing some s*** for an Associate. So basically, at the junior levels you don't have a great deal of time outside work during the week, but weekends are usually all yours.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    ...I assumed IB was the international baccalaureate and was like 'Surely they're not THAT much more time consuming than A-levels?'
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xiomara)
    ...I assumed IB was the international baccalaureate and was like 'Surely they're not THAT much more time consuming than A-levels?'
    Yeah wrong subforum there, altho it is.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)
    Interning in BB IBD this summer. Have a girlfriend, and only really have time to see her on the weekends. Get in at 9am every day and this month have left work most days between 8pm - 11pm (as early as 6pm on Fridays), and have only had to work one weekend and only done one all-nighter so far. Has been pretty much the same for all the other analysts.

But it's summer, so markets are quieter. You obviously work longer hours when its busier, so that one weekend a month may become 2 or 3 weekends (subject to how much work you take on), and at peak times you'll more likely be leaving at 10pm - 1am, rather than 8pm - 11pm.

Though it is a bitch to make plans. This week had made plans to go get dinner with my girlfriend Monday evening after 8, but had to cancel because was in the office till like 11 that night doing some s*** for an Associate. So basically, at the junior levels you don't have a great deal of time outside work during the week, but weekends are usually all yours.

Cheers mate! This will help me make my decision for what area to work for.
    Do you think you will want to carry on IB as a full time analyst?

I shall PM you for more info if that is alright
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Interning at one of the Elite Boutiques atm and my hours totally suck. I'm rolling in between 9 and 9.30 (which is quite nice) and I'm leaving the ****ing building at around 12pm to 1am on average. Constantly left at about 1-3am the last week which almost killed me to be honest. I'm one of those "I need my 8 hours of sleep" guys, therefore this experience is pretty brutal for me.

Anyhow, I do like the job (getting very much responsibility) and the salary pretty much, but I think I have to look around for a job that offers a better work-life balance, or at least a better work-sleep balance. Needless to say that I'm coming in on two weekends (mainly saturdays) on average, although I get in pretty late (1pm or so) to get the sleep I need.

Regarding social life: Mo - Fr = No social life, apart from getting out with some of the analysts on thursday night, which is pretty cool. SA & SO: Strayning through the city to see as much as I can since I'm from another country and meeting with some other interns or friends of interns. Furthermore, I'm trying to get as much sleep as possible.

All in all, it's a great experience and I highly recommend doing an internship in IBD if your interested in this area of finance. As said above, I do enjoy the work, but the hours kinda suck, which is why I presumably won't jump ship in IBD.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PlusMinus)
    Interning at one of the Elite Boutiques atm and my hours totally suck. I'm rolling in between 9 and 9.30 (which is quite nice) and I'm leaving the ****ing building at around 12pm to 1am on average. Constantly left at about 1-3am the last week which almost killed me to be honest. I'm one of those "I need my 8 hours of sleep" guys, therefore this experience is pretty brutal for me.

Anyhow, I do like the job (getting very much responsibility) and the salary pretty much, but I think I have to look around for a job that offers a better work-life balance, or at least a better work-sleep balance. Needless to say that I'm coming in on two weekends (mainly saturdays) on average, although I get in pretty late (1pm or so) to get the sleep I need.

Regarding social life: Mo - Fr = No social life, apart from getting out with some of the analysts on thursday night, which is pretty cool. SA & SO: Strayning through the city to see as much as I can since I'm from another country and meeting with some other interns or friends of interns. Furthermore, I'm trying to get as much sleep as possible.

All in all, it's a great experience and I highly recommend doing an internship in IBD if your interested in this area of finance. As said above, I do enjoy the work, but the hours kinda suck, which is why I presumably won't jump ship in IBD.
    What are you going to do if not IBD?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Asset Management?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    social life can take a huge hit..... but during the weekends you will get some time..... summer is slow.... and summer interns dont do as much.....

100hr weeks is regular.... and after doing it for a while, 90hrs in 5 days seems actually fine.... I was just thinking about it yesterday... 8am to 1am everyday makes 90hr week with around c.4-5hrs sleep. That is normal......

A lot of analysts have gfs but most are single..... atleast from what I have seen.... Life tends to improve when you hit VP

So, lets say you start when you are 21. Then, by 27 you are likely to be a VP and you will have a good social life then.......
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Where I worked alot of people actually had girlfriends and even children. The hours were not so long since it is on the trading / energy side. Socializing with friends 3 evenings per week and on weekends seemed quite easy to do. But actually having a girlfriend sounds really boring.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Why having a girlfriend sounds really boring? Because you do not go out every night?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seeker122)
    Why having a girlfriend sounds really boring? Because you do not go out every night?
    *Pandering to the same woman again and again.
    *Having someone effectively check up on you as though you are a kid.
    *Being restricted and possibly emotionally blackmailed if you want to take up an opportunity in another part of the world.
    *Sometimes not being able to dedicate enough time to your academic/work-related self-improvement and your hobbies.
    *Sometimes being expected to transfer your hard earned money to the person for no good reason at all (when there is a welfare state that you pay into which could pick up the tab).

I myself haven't had direct experience of this since I have never had a girlfriend before - but it doesn't sound like a particularly rewarding situation to be in.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by effofex)
    *Being restricted and possibly emotionally blackmailed if you want to take up an opportunity in another part of the world.
    *Sometimes not being able to dedicate enough time to your academic/work-related self-improvement and your hobbies.
    *Sometimes being expected to transfer your hard earned money to the person for no good reason at all (when there is a welfare state that you pay into which could pick up the tab).

I myself haven't had direct experience of this since I have never had a girlfriend before - but it doesn't sound like a particularly rewarding situation to be in.
    Love makes you do some crazy stuff. That's all I'm saying..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bmqib)
    What are you going to do if not IBD?
    Sorry, I was quite busy during the week:

I don't know yet, but Asset Management might be an option. I'm going to check it out in winter, since I will be doing an internship at one of the better shops (think BlackRock, Fidelity). Furthermore, working at a L/S Hedge Fund might be very interesting as well, but in order to do so, one usually needs some banking or at least AM experience.

As said above, I'm not really set on not doing the IBD analyst stint (assuming that I would get an offer), since the work is quite interesting and the exit options are extremely tempting: I'm really interested in the whole Venture Capital thing as well as the work at L/S Equity Hedge Funds.. Hence, I may end up in IBD for some time to maintain those options.

But who knows..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    This thread is funny. Interns bitching about their crazy hours.

Every time you complain, remember: there are thousands - tens of thousands - of people working just as hard as you, for just as long, for a fraction of the pay. Then feel better
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Sweet jesus. Where to begin.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bornfishy)

Every time you complain, remember: there are thousands - tens of thousands - of people working just as hard as you, for just as long, for a fraction of the pay. Then feel better
    Just for my own interest, please elaborate on what other industries require its employees to work 80-100 hour weeks?..of course excluding sweatshops in East China.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)
    Just for my own interest, please elaborate on what other industries require its employees to work 80-100 hour weeks?..of course excluding sweatshops in East China.
    *medical research.
    *corporate law.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    *medical research.
    *corporate law.
    Mmmm. And that's before you even consider military personnel on (one of their frequently, lengthy) tours. They tend not to hang about on student forums proselytising their profession, mind, so I'll not expect any serving members to jump in and back me up.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bornfishy)

Yes, because they choose to. No one can force you to work more then 48 hours in the UK cuz of european law.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 12, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.