The Student Room Group

Getting an A* in a mother-tongue language?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by madders94
Surely it's only the same as English people getting A* in English GCSE or Welsh people getting A* in GCSE First-Language Welsh? Only difference is that those are compulsory whereas you can choose these other ones. I say go for it, an extra A* is an extra A*. No-one's going to sit you down in a job interview and explain that you're perfect for the job in all aspects other than the fact that they consider your A* in your mother-tongue a "cheat" GCSE.

I am with as far as the extra A* bonus is concerned. However, I disagree entirely with your opening assertion. Its definitley not the same as achieving an A* in GCSE English. GCSE English takes account of the fact that this is the first language of the overwhelming number of people in this country, whereas what the thread maker is talking about is sitting Arabic GCSE as a foreign language, ie learning from the perspective of a 'native English-speaker'.
What you seem to equate is that an A* is GCSE Arabic as a foreign language for a student who is in fact a native speaker, is the same relative difficulty as a native english-language speaker achieving an A* in GCSE English with the exam designed for those whose first language is indeed english. That is faulty logic to me.
Reply 21
Original post by hannah60000
Not sure about Welsh but getting an A* in English in England is nothing compared to A* in other languages which at GCSE is elementary level AS the work really loads up.

Basically it is much difficult to get good grade in English GCSE requires more work than in a GCSE language.

I see we have both posted in a similar vein at almost exactly the same time. Suppose great minds think alike! :wink:
Original post by Dalek1099
How are universities going to know?and OP should take it for A-Level as well-easy A*.

AS isn't so bad.

A2 can be really unpredictable :s

2 essays which you may or may not have prepared for and a specific translation section.

Although I do recommend taking the AS at least.

Grade boundaries are relatively lower for A2 though.
Reply 23
Original post by madders94
Surely it's only the same as English people getting A* in English GCSE or Welsh people getting A* in GCSE First-Language Welsh? Only difference is that those are compulsory whereas you can choose these other ones. I say go for it, an extra A* is an extra A*. No-one's going to sit you down in a job interview and explain that you're perfect for the job in all aspects other than the fact that they consider your A* in your mother-tongue a "cheat" GCSE.

I agree that people have nothing to lose by taking it, but no it's not the same. Imagine the level of a modern language e.g. French GCSE, and then imagine doing it in your native language. Literature analysis and being able to order in a restaurant and describe your family in very simple terms are worlds apart. GCSE in an international framework is A2, which is like the really really really simple stuff that won't enable you to live independently / have a job in the target language country. In Germany most immigrants are expected to acquire this level after roughly one to two months of language study.
(edited 11 years ago)
That wasn't too clever.

Didn't really matter, she didn't end up needing the German in specific and the part she added into her PS was actually a really nice touch. Obviously there may be no need to mention it in the OPs case- I was just saying from my experiance if they do find out they won't count it. My friend definatly doesn't regret it- it required next to no work for her as she speaks it all the time at home and it has come in useful as some employeers (especially in the tourist attractions up London) have seen it as a really useful quality.
(edited 11 years ago)
I did my German GCSE in year 8, I got an A* and managed to get in the top 10 in England. My teachers were like omg that is soo good but I was like come on it's my language -.- Anyway I am doing A level German now and it definitively isn't as easy and I do have to do a fair amount of revision.
I'm really jealous of how many foreign languages are offered at GCSE level. Foreign language instruction here in the USA pales in comparison to that of the UK. I mean, even as a native English speaker, I would've loved the opportunity to take GCSE Manx or Tamil or something exotic. If such a language is your native one then more power to you; I'd want to learn more about it too. And anyone who judges you according to that is just a jealous monoglot or, even worse, a xenophobe.
Original post by I Kant Spall
I'm really jealous of how many foreign languages are offered at GCSE level. Foreign language instruction here in the USA pales in comparison to that of the UK. I mean, even as a native English speaker, I would've loved the opportunity to take GCSE Manx or Tamil or something exotic. If such a language is your native one then more power to you; I'd want to learn more about it too. And anyone who judges you according to that is just a jealous monoglot or, even worse, a xenophobe.

To be fair most schools don't offer the exotic, fun sounding ones unless you already speak it :biggrin:. I would have loved to learn like Japanese but only had the choice of French or German and most the other schools around here are the same.
Original post by Harbour
I am with as far as the extra A* bonus is concerned. However, I disagree entirely with your opening assertion. Its definitley not the same as achieving an A* in GCSE English. GCSE English takes account of the fact that this is the first language of the overwhelming number of people in this country, whereas what the thread maker is talking about is sitting Arabic GCSE as a foreign language, ie learning from the perspective of a 'native English-speaker'.
What you seem to equate is that an A* is GCSE Arabic as a foreign language for a student who is in fact a native speaker, is the same relative difficulty as a native english-language speaker achieving an A* in GCSE English with the exam designed for those whose first language is indeed english. That is faulty logic to me.

Ah, I didn't realize it was as a foreign language, I didn't know if it was offered as first language. Sorry!
Reply 29
If it was writing,you should have got 60 minutes,which should be enough to create a full UMS GCSE piece from scratch,if it was your mother tongue I would have imagined and I forgot my writing scripts for German and created it all from scratch and it ended up being my highest mark,an high A* and no,German isn't my mother tongue language I only speak English so i'm a little:confused:

Well not for me lol, I'm not too great at writing in Italian.
It's not cheating, it's getting some official recognition for a skill you acquired a long time ago as a baby/toddler which was more effort for you ^then^ (though you've probably forgotten) than earning a single language. Some places may discount it if they are looking for evidence that you can learn a new language as an adult (I know some universities don't like to count mother tongue A levels towards offers for example), but no-one will think you shouldn't have taken it.
Original post by `God
So if I get an A* in my mother-tongue language (the language that is spoken at home between family members, which doesn't require any revision/lessons) would that count? or would it be as a cheat-GCSE?

I'm considering doing Arabic GCSE but I know everything and it feels as if I'm cheating my way into an A*, I don't know whether I should do it or not.

I've been speaking Swahili since I was three (though I wouldn't say it's my mother tongue) and we're required to do it here. A foreign language is always beneficial!

However, for Arabic, I'm pretty sure there are first language options (at least for IGCSE, I don't know about GCSE) that will make you work a little harder, amount to more in the long run, and make your Fus7a a little more awesome :smile: I'm doing Arabic foreign language CIE IGCSE, by the way.
Reply 32
Do it because you won't need any revision so it can't hurt you.

But in terms of applying for university, they state that languages in your mother tongue don't count as an A level so take it as an additional subject, not instead of one.
Most places will actively encourage people with a mother language that's able to be taken at GCSE/A-level to do so. Looks better for the school, looks better on you applications and if you can get an A/A* in your language at A-level it may relieve the pressure on your other subjects slightly.

Obviously it only works if your language is studied, but if I were able to speak fluently in another language then I would do it, since it's basically free grades with little to no work.
Reply 34
If it was writing,you should have got 60 minutes,which should be enough to create a full UMS GCSE piece from scratch,if it was your mother tongue I would have imagined and I forgot my writing scripts for German and created it all from scratch and it ended up being my highest mark,an high A* and no,German isn't my mother tongue language I only speak English so i'm a little:confused:

You're confused.. the poster you're replying to meant that they hadn't practiced writing the arabic script sufficiently. It's a different alphabet, goes right to left, much much more complex than the latin script (which is what we write in, or extended latin for german) and it all has to be joined up (each letter flows into the next letter).

Most letters have 4 forms, depending on whether they come at the beginning, middle or end of a word, or are on their own.. but some letters only have some of the forms, and then force other letters around them to take a different form.

On top of that, it's not a phonetic language - the sounds made in your head and the way they are captured in writing are quite different from European languages.

So - in a nut shell, *writing* arabic is a different skill set to speaking it. Indeed there are many fluent arabic speakers who can't write it at all. Not in the least bit similar to German.
Reply 35
Original post by `God
So if I get an A* in my mother-tongue language (the language that is spoken at home between family members, which doesn't require any revision/lessons) would that count? or would it be as a cheat-GCSE?

I'm considering doing Arabic GCSE but I know everything and it feels as if I'm cheating my way into an A*, I don't know whether I should do it or not.

Unbelievably useful when applying for jobs in the future.

Language skills are required almost anywhere you go. Having two foreign languages is a lot better than one. Arabic & French is a good combination too. It means you could communicate with almost anybody in France, Canada, North Africa and the Middle East. :yes:
Original post by Stray
You're confused.. the poster you're replying to meant that they hadn't practiced writing the arabic script sufficiently. It's a different alphabet, goes right to left, much much more complex than the latin script (which is what we write in, or extended latin for german) and it all has to be joined up (each letter flows into the next letter).

Most letters have 4 forms, depending on whether they come at the beginning, middle or end of a word, or are on their own.. but some letters only have some of the forms, and then force other letters around them to take a different form.

On top of that, it's not a phonetic language - the sounds made in your head and the way they are captured in writing are quite different from European languages.

So - in a nut shell, *writing* arabic is a different skill set to speaking it. Indeed there are many fluent arabic speakers who can't write it at all. Not in the least bit similar to German.

The person I replied to did Italian though:confused:
Reply 37
The world is an unfair place. Make the most of your advantages or regret not doing so. Just do it.
Lol you're an idiot if you dont.
It's not cheating. My 1st language is English. I think i know everything but i don't think i could ever get an A* in the GCSE.
I revised and tried so hard for my B!
All English people do an English GCSE and it isn't a 'cheat GCSE'

I want to learn Arabic! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest