The Student Room Group

Different salaries within IB

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mirey
http://career-advice.monster.co.uk/salary-benefits/pay-salary-advice/uk-average-salary-graphs/article.aspx

So easy, either invest the time if you think you'll be good at it (and will make a ton), or stay where you are.

But to dismiss it as "low" is more than ludicrous.

The average graduate salary is £26k, I'm sure many in this section would call that low. It's all relative.
Reply 21
Original post by i_hate_teeth
The average graduate salary is £26k, I'm sure many in this section would call that low. It's all relative.

Average grad salary is probably even below that.

You're right, it is relative. I'm sure many in this section would call £55k average, not low.

If you're going to make bogus statements, at least make sure the arguments you use to support them actually do.
Original post by Mirey
Average grad salary is probably even below that.

You're right, it is relative. I'm sure many in this section would call £55k average, not low.

If you're going to make bogus statements, at least make sure the arguments you use to support them actually do.

I got that value from google, I have no idea how accurate it is. It's not something that I care about.
Reply 23
Wow, seriously? I had no idea the comp was that low. Is that for FO roles?

that's base the best of your group in a top tier BB can get 40k in bonus (well this was true at least in the better years).. probably not so much anymore. i'd imagine someone who's good would get around 20k+ in bonus. there's also a sign on bonus which is around 5k i think so your total comp for first year in FO top tier BB is around 70k.
Original post by Miyavi
that's base the best of your group in a top tier BB can get 40k in bonus (well this was true at least in the better years).. probably not so much anymore. i'd imagine someone who's good would get around 20k+ in bonus. there's also a sign on bonus which is around 5k i think so your total comp for first year in FO top tier BB is around 70k.

70k is a decent salary, but what does being 'the best of your group' entail exactly?

How many weeks holiday do first year FO employees get?
Reply 25
70k is a decent salary, but what does being 'the best of your group' entail exactly?

25 days
Reply 26

"Best of your group" is normally the top 10% or so of your immediate peer group in your business area
Original post by GradNav
"Best of your group" is normally the top 10% or so of your immediate peer group in your business area

Do you know what the starting salary is for a trader at Jane Street in London?
Reply 28
Do you know what the starting salary is for a trader at Jane Street in London?

Afraid not. All firms keep their starting salaries top secret at this time of year. Last year starting salaries in most firms were c.£45k. Doubt many would have had approval this year to increase salaries (if at all).

However, somewhere like Jane Street would have a less rigid comp structure and is less hierarchical than other larger firms with numerous departments and as such if you do well you could be looking at sizeable bonuses from the outset.
Reply 29

as far as i've heard its dependent where in FO you work. for example in IBD it's more dependant on how your team perceives you rather than the actual quality of work, which obviously would be to a high standard by most anyway. these guys are working with you 14+ hours a day so they wanna enjoy your company the most.

for trading i'm guessing your P&L would be a good indicator :P but more obvious if you know your ****.

they get standard 25 working days but as you probably can guess you cant take them whenever if you have a huge deal on for e.g.
Reply 30
Original post by Miyavi
as far as i've heard its dependent where in FO you work. for example in IBD it's more dependant on how your team perceives you rather than the actual quality of work, which obviously would be to a high standard by most anyway. these guys are working with you 14+ hours a day so they wanna enjoy your company the most.

for trading i'm guessing your P&L would be a good indicator :P but more obvious if you know your ****.

they get standard 25 working days but as you probably can guess you cant take them whenever if you have a huge deal on for e.g.

Yes, in IBD holidays will need to be worked around deals (at all levels of seniority), and to maximise your comp, being both good at your job and fitting in well with your colleagues is hugely important.

1 more post to go Miyavi till the big 1,000.......make it a good one!
I'm in a different situation to most on here, in terms of career prospects.

You are correct £55,000 is not low for someone who is employed in an entry level job, but to me £55k pa would be a huge step backwards. Also, after tax and NI you're looking at about £32k.

A huge step backwards for you? :lol: Have you even started university yet?
Original post by hypercaine.
A huge step backwards for you? :lol: Have you even started university yet?

Yes, have you?
Yes, have you?

Yep. How would that be such a huge step backwards for you? I know youre a troll but seriously?
Yep. How would that be such a huge step backwards for you? I know youre a troll but seriously?

It would be a huge step backwards as I currently make much more than that. The only reason I am applying for internships is because my business partner beleives that I will benefit from the professional experience. Any other questions?
It would be a huge step backwards as I currently make much more than that. The only reason I am applying for internships is because my business partner beleives that I will benefit from the professional experience. Any other questions?

Sounds legit...whats your business? Last time I heard about you, you werent even at university...

I know I shouldnt feed the troll but cant help it :colone:
Sounds legit...whats your business? Last time I heard about you, you werent even at university...

I know I shouldnt feed the troll but cant help it :colone:

If that's the last time you heard about me then I'm assuming you're calling me a troll because people back then thought I posted fake university offers?
Reply 37
Interesting article here which talks about new graduate comp:

www.efinancialnews.com/story/2012-09-04/got-university-debt-work-at-deutsche
Reply 38
Original post by GradNav
Yes, in IBD holidays will need to be worked around deals (at all levels of seniority), and to maximise your comp, being both good at your job and fitting in well with your colleagues is hugely important.

1 more post to go Miyavi till the big 1,000.......make it a good one!

Okay, I'll try to make it the most epic post ever.
Reply 39

Sounds like a Saverin 2.0

In all honesty, why would you want to go into IB if you're successfully managing your own business? You don't really obtain anything transferable out of IB aside from a solid financial knowledge, whilst managing your own company does.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending