The Student Room Group

Fair Skin verses Dark Skin

Scroll to see replies

Original post by moonietoot
But I didn't take the mick. I stated a preference. I didn't state that SHE was unattractive.

Anyway I used this story/experience to start the thread. What happened with the girl is just an example, and this thread isn't about what I did or didn't do wrong or whether she was right or wrong.

And in my opinion, all skin tones are beautiful. It's the features that either makes someone attractive or it doesn't. Same with personality. You can be really dark with a great personality of really fair with a great personality. Vise Versa with bad personalities.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

umm yh but if she said that darker skinned people were less attracitve wouldn't that mean that she is less attractive since she is darker? :dontknow:
Reply 81
It's the same with being pale, though. I get told I look ill and that I should go on a sun bed. :s-smilie:

To be honest, I don't think skin colour determines attractiveness at all. I've never looked at someone and thought 'if only they were darker/paler' (apart from girls who have been Tango'd). People should just appreciate their natural colour because I bet there are loads of people using fake tans/skin lighteners to try and achieve what they naturally have. :smile:
Reply 82
Original post by darkxangel
umm yh but if she said that darker skinned people were less attracitve wouldn't that mean that she is less attractive since she is darker? :dontknow:

Depends on how she rates her appearance I think. She may think darker people are less attractive besides her, she may be an exception to her opinion because she thinks she is attractive.

Reply 83
Original post by LeaX
People should just appreciate their natural colour because I bet there are loads of people using fake tans/skin lighteners to try and achieve what they naturally have. :smile:

Ah I agree!

Depends on how she rates her appearance I think. She may think darker people are less attractive besides her, she may be an exception to her opinion because she thinks she is attractive.

no I meant that if for example a brunette said that gingers are less attractive than blondes, her ginger friend might obviously think that you think she is less attractive because she is ginger. :/
Reply 85
Original post by darkxangel
no I meant that if for example a brunette said that gingers are less attractive than blondes, her ginger friend might obviously think that you think she is less attractive because she is ginger. :/

Oh I see your point. Yep, I totally why she could've gotten upset when you put it like this.

But she wasn't the only 'dark' person there. If that was the case, wouldn't all my friends walk away because they assumed I meant they were all less attractive than my fairer friends?

I don't know -shrugs-

I prefer darker skinned men, but then that's me :smile:
Oh for heaven's sake, why does everything have to be a competition? This verses that. Why can't people accept that some people are light skinned and some people are dark skinned. There is no need for a debate on the matter :lolwut:
Original post by AspiringGenius
I prefer darker skinned men, but then that's me :smile:

that's me as well :awesome: high five! :wink:
Reply 89
Original post by sarahthegemini
Oh for heaven's sake, why does everything have to be a competition? This verses that. Why can't people accept that some people are light skinned and some people are dark skinned. There is no need for a debate on the matter :lolwut:

This is a discussion based on what is a competition/ seems to be a competition. Why can't we debate on the matter? It's interesting to read the views of others.

And in saying what's the need for a debate you've just given your own view. "Why can't people accept that some people are light skinned and some people are dark skinned.''

Thanks.

This is a discussion based on what is a competition/ seems to be a competition. Why can't we debate on the matter? It's interesting to read the views of others.

And in saying what's the need for a debate you've just given your own view. "Why can't people accept that some people are light skinned and some people are dark skinned.''

Thanks.

When I said we don't need a debate on the matter, I was referring to a light skin vs dark skin debate - as in a debate over which is better. It's completely unnecessary.
Reply 91
When I said we don't need a debate on the matter, I was referring to a light skin vs dark skin debate - as in a debate over which is better. It's completely unnecessary.

That's not what this was about. There is no BETTER. However people have preferences, people have experienced events that may have made them feel superior or inferior to others because of their skin colour. And it's just a discussion about that.

No one can say one is better than the other. But people can sure have their preferences.

That's not what this was about. There is no BETTER. However people have preferences, people have experienced events that may have made them feel superior or inferior to others because of their skin colour. And it's just a discussion about that.

No one can say one is better than the other. But people can sure have their preferences.

Sorry, my mistake. My reply was aimed at the article you mentioned in your OP. I should have made that clear :redface:
Reply 93
Sorry, my mistake. My reply was aimed at the article you mentioned in your OP. I should have made that clear :redface:

Oh right! Lol glad that's cleared out the way! And I totally agree. It's an unneccessary debate that angers a lot of people and sadly, I was pulled into the drama.

Reply 94
When I was about 13 I was at a sleepover and the girl who was known to make desperate attempts at seeming 'cool' had had a spray tan or something and she decided to compare our tanned colours. She said she was a lovely 'golden brown' whereas I was what she would describe as a 'dirty brown'. I was just like lol yeah whatever bitch.

When I first started uni my friend of South Indian origin randomly came out with 'you're like... not white, are you?' during a communal film evening. To all the white people's confusion/shock/outrage (?). I'm not sure whether they thought she was totally off the mark or whether they just thought it was unacceptable to say something about it. I'd always thought of myself as white and my family would certainly identify as white but I sometimes take on quite a 'foreign' look, particularly when I tan quite a bit (and I tan really fast), presumably because of my Romany ancestry. :confused:
Oh right! Lol glad that's cleared out the way! And I totally agree. It's an unneccessary debate that angers a lot of people and sadly, I was pulled into the drama.

It just causes a lot of hurt doesn't it. I'm extremely pale, and it never bothered me, but I was in town one night and some random guy decided to take the piss out of my 'ghost legs' :eek:

We already have the blonde vs brunette ongoing debate, the curvy vs skinny, and now this! When will it end?
Reply 96
It just causes a lot of hurt doesn't it. I'm extremely pale, and it never bothered me, but I was in town one night and some random guy decided to take the piss out of my 'ghost legs' :eek:

We already have the blonde vs brunette ongoing debate, the curvy vs skinny, and now this! When will it end?

It does cause a lot of hurt! I obviously hurt my friend a lot. And ah, that's such a bad situation to be in!

I think when it comes down to aesthetics, the debates will only be ongoing. New trends, new styles, new celebs, new make up etc. If anything, the hurting will just get worse...

Reply 97
Original post by Ronove
When I was about 13 I was at a sleepover and the girl who was known to make desperate attempts at seeming 'cool' had had a spray tan or something and she decided to compare our tanned colours. She said she was a lovely 'golden brown' whereas I was what she would describe as a 'dirty brown'. I was just like lol yeah whatever bitch.

When I first started uni my friend of South Indian origin randomly came out with 'you're like... not white, are you?' during a communal film evening. To all the white people's confusion/shock/outrage (?). I'm not sure whether they thought she was totally off the mark or whether they just thought it was unacceptable to say something about it. I'd always thought of myself as white and my family would certainly identify as white but I sometimes take on quite a 'foreign' look, particularly when I tan quite a bit (and I tan really fast), presumably because of my Romany ancestry. :confused:

Both those situations are hurtful and outrageous! I think people, including myself, need to be more sensitive to people. Your uni friend could've asked where you're from ethic wise.

Reply 98
Well I think its up to our generation to change things. Change your attitudes! Judging someone on their skin colour is racism! No-one should feel ugly because of the colour of their skin, its 2012 Britain...there should be no place for such attitudes!

Being fairer skinned makes you no more beautiful than someone darker. Its the whole package, an individuals preference on facial features, body, hair, eyes and not to mention their personality!
Being whiter ain't going to make you any prettier!

There's nothing wrong in finding someone white prettier than someone black for example, but if its solely based on skin colour...then you clearly have issues!
Reply 99
Original post by Honeyx
Well I think its up to our generation to change things. Change your attitudes! Judging someone on their skin colour is racism! No-one should feel ugly because of the colour of their skin, its 2012 Britain...there should be no place for such attitudes!

Being fairer skinned makes you no more beautiful than someone darker. Its the whole package, an individuals preference on facial features, body, hair, eyes and not to mention their personality!
Being whiter ain't going to make you any prettier!

There's nothing wrong in finding someone white prettier than someone black for example, but if its solely based on skin colour...then you clearly have issues!

I agree. However, how can one advise or encourage others to change their attitudes without resulting to a fist fight?

Quick Reply

Latest