Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sprained ankle

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I sprained my ankle while on a drunken wander with a friend and that was 8 weeks ago and it still hurts. I've recently bought an ankle support which has helped and my doctor gave me this gel to sooth it. On occasion it has stopped hurting completely and I feel fine. I am a runner so it is really frustrating. I have gone for a few 3 mile runs lately but now I am paying the price cause it hurts again my doctor didn't seem overly concerned and he said it should be fine in a few weeks, but I'm worried that I've permanently damaged it if I have, is there any way I can continue running? I'd hate to never be able do it again

Thank's guys
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thank's a bunch for the negative rating.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes sprains can take months to heal. Try and rest it as much as you can and maybe try something like swimming for exercise for a while until it feels a bit better.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Physio! Either google exercises to do, or go to a physio.

Very important to rehab injuries properly - which does not mean rest it until it feels better

Plenty of good websites/resources/physios out there, which will help you get back to running properly.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone recommend any different cardiovascular activity I can do? I can continue my strength building exercises but they're not enough. I would swim but I don't like taking my kit off cause I'm tall and lanky, with a pretty pathetic body shape - makes me stick out like a sore thumb + I can't swim very well. My parents have these fitness dvd's they never use which are pretty good and don't strain my ankle too much, will they do for now? I need to keep it up cause exercise keeps my mind off of depressing things
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    RICE and then MEAT.

Although technically your RICE period is over and you're into the MEAT period.

Movement- Keep the movement controlled and gentle. Just enough to get some blood flowing to the ligaments and tendons, whilst letting everything else recover slowly.
    Exercise - Again controlled and gentle exercise until your ankle feels strong again. Focus on range of movement and strengthening exercises.
    Analgesic - Typical anti-inflammatories such as ibuprofen are no longer doing you any good, in fact they're hindering your recovery. Pick a natural analgesic that will aid with the pain and the swelling but won't hinder the necessary inflammation needed for healing in the joint.
    Treatment - If it's really bad, find a physiotherapist or a sports therapist who can help you out.

Depending on the severity of the sprain you can expect to be out of training for anything ranging from six to eight weeks, and after that you should start slowly and only do what your ankle can handle (it will tell you when it's had enough).

Any low-impact cardio will do, if you're happy with the fitness dvd's and they are raising your heartbeat and not impacting on your ankle too much, they will be fine until you can get back into running.

Don't expect to be able to start running the same distances straight away though, it will take some time for things to get back to normal.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    R est
    I ce
    C ompression
    E levation

This is what I have learnt in first aid!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l.west191)
    RICE and then MEAT.

Although technically your RICE period is over and you're into the MEAT period.

Movement- Keep the movement controlled and gentle. Just enough to get some blood flowing to the ligaments and tendons, whilst letting everything else recover slowly.
    Exercise - Again controlled and gentle exercise until your ankle feels strong again. Focus on range of movement and strengthening exercises.
    Analgesic - Typical anti-inflammatories such as ibuprofen are no longer doing you any good, in fact they're hindering your recovery. Pick a natural analgesic that will aid with the pain and the swelling but won't hinder the necessary inflammation needed for healing in the joint.
    Treatment - If it's really bad, find a physiotherapist or a sports therapist who can help you out.

Depending on the severity of the sprain you can expect to be out of training for anything ranging from six to eight weeks, and after that you should start slowly and only do what your ankle can handle (it will tell you when it's had enough).

Any low-impact cardio will do, if you're happy with the fitness dvd's and they are raising your heartbeat and not impacting on your ankle too much, they will be fine until you can get back into running.

Don't expect to be able to start running the same distances straight away though, it will take some time for things to get back to normal.
    *best and most detailed advice so far* thank's so much! I shall follow this as close as I can

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 24, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.